Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Re-igniting your interest in photography.

AndrewWayne
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 28, 2014 12:05 |  #1

Hello Everyone.

If this has been covered to death I apologize for bringing it back up but I am curious. How do you rekindle or keep your passion for photography? I got into photography three years ago and have taken what seems like tons of photographs. I live in Texas and during this past summer heat I put up the camera and now that it is starting to cool down my interest does not seem as strong as it once was. I am planning a shoot for two weeks from now but my heart does not seem to be in it as it once was.

Has anyone else gone through this and how did you reignite your love of photography?

Andrew Stembridge on Flickr (external link)
Gear - Canon 60D, 18-135, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 and the nifty fifty.

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 28, 2014 18:01 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I started to shoot film. There was a point that I didn't even touch my 1dmarkIII for over 6 months. :) Reading up on processing and developing my own film, the zone system, film scanning, types of films to shoot, rolling my own 35mm film, and etc. Film related gear and accessories, even in developing your own color and BW photos, are generally cheaper than a single L lens!!!!!

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Sep 28, 2014 18:04 |  #3

Same here, shoot film. Medium format is a blast, and unlike digital you can get into it cheap.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Overread
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2014 18:10 |  #4

It is perfectly normal to get bored.

Now of course it will vary person to person, some people will get bored fast and jump from thing to thing very fast and at the other end of the scale some people will appear to never get bored, or at least its so marginal that its hardly there.

My view is that when its a hobby you're bored with there are a few approaches to dealing with it;

1) Put the camera down - yeah I said it, but its a very valid approach. This doesn't mean no pictures at all, but simply letting it take a back seat. Sometimes all that's needed to rekindle the interest is a little time away from the hobby. You've basically over-saturated yourself so you need a moment to step back.

2) Projects/focus - sometimes having a specific project or objective helps. It gives you a focus and something you can work toward. That in itself gives you some structure and boundaries to what you're doing and it can help you refocus.
I'd say try to do something practical - 365 self portraits once a day is generally not practical (works great for the first bit, then in the end its a chore and most of them will be repeat ideas or dark ones taken 5 mins before bed because "you must do it"). On the flipside working to improve your self portraits over a week or two - or shooting a key event etc... whatever it is a goal post helps.

3) Start up a new hobby. Yep sometimes you just need something fresh; something to let your mind get into and get something new and different to engage with. Might be an old hobby you once did and dropped; could be something totally new.

In the end hobby time should be fun time. Sure there will be challenge and if you're doing something you can always fail; so long as you enjoy the process that's what's important. So if it stop being fun try a new angle and if that fails try a break.

PS on the subject of breaks I'd discourage you from selling up your gear. I know a few who do that and generally it costs them more in the long-run because each time they want to start up the old hobby they've got to re-buy into it which is always more expensive. So unless you're really financially constrained hang onto your camera.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 28, 2014 18:33 |  #5

AndrewWayne wrote in post #17182071 (external link)
Hello Everyone.

If this has been covered to death I apologize for bringing it back up but I am curious. How do you rekindle or keep your passion for photography? I got into photography three years ago and have taken what seems like tons of photographs. I live in Texas and during this past summer heat I put up the camera and now that it is starting to cool down my interest does not seem as strong as it once was. I am planning a shoot for two weeks from now but my heart does not seem to be in it as it once was.

Has anyone else gone through this and how did you reignite your love of photography?

You need a variety of challenges to test your skills.

This year I've photographed an air show, car shows, late-model stock cars on ovals, sports cars on a road course, parades, fireworks, a tractor pull, a horse show, an all -terrain drag race on dirt, and a couple of livestock fairs.

To enjoy photography, it helps to be attracted to the thrill of the hunt, to be able to take on an event that you don't control and be able to reduce that event to images that tell what happened. You can't be isolated from the where you live, and need to be able to find either photogenic events or people that are available.

Larger is the compulsion to be creative. Many who pick up cameras don't have this compulsion, and are more interested in controlling other people or using a camera to make themselves feel important.

If you don't want to be an adventuresome photographer, there's no reason to have any regrets. It's probably best to sell your equipment and use the money for something else you really enjoy. Life is too short to be forced into something you don't want to do.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,499 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 28, 2014 21:29 as a reply to  @ DC Fan's post |  #6

How do you rekindle or keep your passion for photography?

Family pictures, it is very expensive to pay for them.

But if you have photography bug it is like any hobby.
You aren't feeling well if you don't have it every day or so.

I need to take picture every day. Not just snapshot, but take it.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 29, 2014 05:42 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #7

I worked 28 years as a pro photographer, including 17 years fulltime with a newspaper. I retired from professional photography in mid 2007.

During that time I did very little motion picture photography. The last few years I've been doing more and more video. Loving it, finding shooting and editing video very challenging.

I'm using some very humble equipment but slowly getting the results.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 29, 2014 08:14 |  #8

I think when it comes to any creative outlet, a person is going to go thru phases of both good and bad times. Times where ideas are just bursting, and times in which you just can't come up with an ounce of inspiration. I think the worst thing to do is to force it. I go thru this with my music and recording and you can hear/feel when it's forced.

With that in mind, I like to try a minimalistic approach at times which I know can not be wise. Sometimes I will head out with just one lens and see what I can make work. Maybe to force a perspective I wouldn't have gone with or maybe a new angle on something that I would've just reverted to 'muscle memory' to capture.

Taking a break isn't the end, maybe it will yield much better results when you do get that spark again. I tend to think you bring a lot of things from different aspects of your life into your creative outlets. Rack up some new character or battle wounds to bring back with you.

Or I'm totally wrong.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 29, 2014 11:32 |  #9

Do you ever print your photos? Try making a photo book; it'll make you see your photos in a new (hopefully positive) light.

Shoot stuff that you don't normally go for. If you normally shoot landscapes, try still lifes or urban street. Mix it up.

Put your gear away for a few weeks (months) and give your conscience a rest. Don't feel guilty about going on hiatus.

Take a photography short course or enroll in a continuing ed program. This helps you meet other like-minded people, and you receive good critique of your work.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 29, 2014 16:11 |  #10

^

The book idea and prints are fun IMHO. I just did a black & white book and ordered it from Flickr and it made me feel good about some shots that I really should've printed long ago. I never print stuff and that's a bad habit of mine.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

slathrum
32 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 02, 2014 09:16 |  #11

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten into and out of hobbies. Whether it's photography, saltwater aquariums, guns and shooting, etc...experience has taught me that I will almost always be back. I've learned to buy used equipment in good condition whenever I can. That way when I inevitably decide to sell it, it's usually worth close to what I paid for it. I also try to hold onto the little things you buy that always add up, but are rarely worth much if you sell them or end up including them with a package deal.

I'm doing a pretty good job of staying out of the aquarium hobby though. That one is a real money pit, and it hurts when a few hundred bucks or more worth of really pretty fish and corals are lost in a tank crash. I am feeling the bug to start it up again though, since corals make great macro subjects!

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 02, 2014 17:22 |  #12

DC Fan wrote in post #17182690 (external link)
You need a variety of challenges to test your skills.

This year I've photographed an air show, car shows, late-model stock cars on ovals, sports cars on a road course, parades, fireworks, a tractor pull, a horse show, an all -terrain drag race on dirt, and a couple of livestock fairs.

To enjoy photography, it helps to be attracted to the thrill of the hunt, to be able to take on an event that you don't control and be able to reduce that event to images that tell what happened. You can't be isolated from the where you live, and need to be able to find either photogenic events or people that are available.

^^ try just photographing events, sports, etc. that you enjoy watching

steve6101
35 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 07, 2014 12:37 |  #13

Don't know if you have them where you live
I joined a local camera club

usafaviator
75 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by usafaviator. (2 edits in all)

Dec 12, 2014 21:33 |  #14

I'm about 3/4 through my photo degree, and have only had a few classes centered on digital- most have been B&W 35mm, 120mm, 4x5 large format and color film shootin, developing/processing and darkroom printing. I have to agree with a few of the posts here- maybe shooting film for a while might rekindle the fire (especially if you process yourself). I know that the photo world revolves around digital- but sometimes the good ole stuff is more interesting. Another thing that I have heard from many pro shooters is that things often change (interest wise) when you either 1) start shooting for money or 2) shoot subjects that you aren't really interested in (often times, 1 and 2 can occur simultaneously). Just my 2 Lincolns.

brad94sc
136 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by brad94sc.

Dec 16, 2014 17:51 |  #15

I went through a time this year where I wouldn't pick up my camera for months at a time.... but I just got a 70D and a couple new lenses! Nothing like spending a pile of $$$ to re-kindle ones interest in a hobby!

but this year was particularly rough for me - I had 8 months off of work due to health issues and I was hoping I could have used that time to take more pictures to practice and get better but I just didn't have it in me, so the camera sat unused for quite a long stretch. Now that I'm better I treated myself to some new gear and I cant wait to go out and shoot!

Canon Eos 6D mark II/ 70D/ T1i/ 40mm/ 50mm/18-55mm/ 55-250mm/ 24-105mmL/ 100-400mmL

sponsored links

4,632 views & 1 like for this thread
Re-igniting your interest in photography.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.