Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 25 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 11:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PHOTOGRAPHER ATTACKED, BEATEN, AND ROBBED DURING WEDDING | 5 TIPS TO STAY SAFE

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 26, 2014 14:20 |  #16

sirquack wrote in post #17178781 (external link)
You hit it right on the head Brenda. I teach self defense classes and 90+% of the issue is simply awareness of your surroundings . . .

Yes, exactly.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 29, 2014 12:00 |  #17

sirquack wrote in post #17178781 (external link)
You hit it right on the head Brenda. I teach self defense classes and 90+% of the issue is simply awareness of your surroundings.

yep, i hire assistants sometime literally just for the extra eyes for some gigs. it's sometimes hard to keep your head on a swivel AND do your job.

Also, i've had to defend my life with a tripod on the Naples waterfront.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 29, 2014 12:12 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #17177369 (external link)
I hope this doesn't come across as obnoxious, but when I hear these stories about photographers having to carry a knife or gun and to be cautious, it really drives the point home that where you all live sounds like another planet from where I live. I'd walk pretty much anywhere in my city (now Ottawa--a city of 1 million) at any time--and have shot as late as 3am--and I've never felt the slightest bit of concern, nor have I felt the need to be cautious. This isn't to say there isn't crime here--there's crazy anecdotal examples of crime in any city--but enough to make me so fearful as to carry a weapon around ? Not even close.

Yeah, but..

Baltimore is ranked of the most dangerous cities in the USA
http://www.forbes.com …es/mlj45jggj/7-baltimore/ (external link)

Ottawa is a paradise, it's a beautiful city.
That said I probably wouldn't go carrying around a steak knife to shoots or weddings. Unless they were serving steak instead of cake..

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 29, 2014 12:32 |  #19

sounds like this could have been anyone. did he even have his gear stolen, he was running a photobooth and went outside.

the key is to be aware of your surroundings..

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 29, 2014 12:42 |  #20

I wish we (law abiding citizens with no arrest records) could carry concealed weapons in New York. Unfortunately, only the criminals do.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,403 views & 0 likes for this thread
PHOTOGRAPHER ATTACKED, BEATEN, AND ROBBED DURING WEDDING | 5 TIPS TO STAY SAFE
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.