Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 29 Sep 2014 (Monday) 13:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So my wife asked me why I was buying a PC instead of a Mac...

this thread is locked
Lobstrosity
157 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 29, 2014 13:52 |  #1

And a couple of days later, I still can't come up with a good answer. I thought I'd take it to the pro's.

I've always built my own PCs, but I've been putting off upgrading because I absolutely hate Windows 8. With Windows 9 right around the corner, there are some promises of better functionality... but what if I don't like what they've done with Windows 9?

I don't really game, so when I'm on my computer it's pretty much to use the Adobe suite.

Lightroom and Photoshop (this will be my main use once I'm done with school in 9 months)
Illustrator, Flash, and After Effects also take up a good chunk of my time and I'm working on authoring an e-book with lots of video content. The computer I have is way too slow, though.

So, learning curve from Windows to Mac aside.... can someone give me some other pros and cons? I'm looking at spending about $3-4k on a system and I'm leaning toward a Mac pro and 27 inch display if I go the Mac route. Given the amount of video editing I'm doing, I like the look of the $4k Mac pro, but the $3k version with just 4gb of video memory may be enough.

From building my own PC on PCPartPicker.com, it looks like the difference between a comparable PC and Mac is about $1000, but I'm not sure if that's accurate OR if it's enough to dissuade me from a Mac if the functionality is going to be better. Hard to put a price on that.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM EF 70-200mm f/4L USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM

sponsored links
Brules
521 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 29, 2014 14:00 |  #2

Windows 8.1 + Start8 = win.

This little $5 app turns Win 8.1 into a great OS. I too hated 8 until I put this on all my pc's and I love it now. Give it a try. I find 8 very stable and it runs quicker I think than 7 (and I LOVED 7).

Link to Start8: http://www.stardock.co​m/products/start8/ (external link)

Also, in case you didnt know - the Dell 27" 1440p monitor is the same as the Apple Thunderbolt 27" - but a whole lot cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6824260111 (external link)

I am saving up to buy one, I saw a buddy of mine's at a LAN party the other day and it is just as good as the apple for editing.

S100 | 5D III | 16-35 F4 IS L | 35 F1.4L | 40 2.8 | 85 F1.2 II L | 135 F2 L | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 29, 2014 14:03 as a reply to  @ Brules's post |  #3

Windows 8.1 + Start8 = win.

Done it and I still hate it!

Jensgt
906 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 29, 2014 14:09 |  #4

I don't have any super technical rationale but I have a 2010 macbook pro 17" and a macbook air (just got my husband one also) and I'l never go back to PC. My 2010 still runs just as well as the day I bought it...never had a PC that I could say that about. No virus issues...no crappy Windows issues. When the new operating system came out I downloaded it for free. Apple store service is light years ahead of best buy or any other place you'd take a pc for repair. Battery life on my air is stellar. My last pc was a $1400 HP laptop...its junk. Would not hold a charge after a year...slow as molasses.

If you go PC then building your own is the way to go, it can be fun too but I'd only do it if I needed a powerful system for gaming or whatever. For what I use the computer for...I'll be an apple buyer for life.

1Dx 7D 500 f4L 70-200 f2.8L II 24-70 f2.8L II 100 f2.8L IS Macro 85 1.2L II
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jenniferallwin​e/ (external link)

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Sep 29, 2014 14:17 |  #5

Because for $4,000, you can build your own PC that will be much more powerful than a Mac Pro for the same budget. You say you've built your own PCs, so you should already know that, but just to make you drool, here's what I'd do on $4,000...

---------------
Grand total: $3,245.

Then use the remaining $755 for the 27" 1440p monitor of your choice.

Without even looking, I guarantee that system is immensely more powerful for anything you can throw at it than any Mac would be. You could save plenty more money by compromising here and there, but that's what I'd build if I had your budget.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 29, 2014 14:18 |  #6

I work with Windows 7 at work and I actually really like it. That said, Im a mac person at home, have been for years. They dont have the same amount of upkeep required that my Windows XP system did that the Macs replaced. I dont know if its still applicable, but the amount of bloatware that came loaded on a PC was awful. It required upkeep just to keep it running smoothly. The worst thing my Mac's have done is require a system restart because of an app update.

Long story short, the Macs were much more stable and required far less maintenance. I never noticed a performance increase between the two systems, outside of the typical performance increases that come from buying a newer, more current machine. So I cant say that they function better. Its just less headache.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,968 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 29, 2014 14:33 |  #7

PCs are generally more powerful for the same price, more easily upgradable, and if you already have PC software you don't have to spend more money. Going to mac you may have to buy your software again, though Adobe will usually switch you over for a low fee.

Bloatware comes on packaged machines, not self built machines. XP is 13 years and three major versions old, you can't compare it to a modern mac. My win7 PC requires nothing to keep it running, it's been fine for years - self built.

You can probably still buy win7, but 8.1 with a start menu is fine too.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

benji25
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 29, 2014 14:37 |  #8

Been using mac for personal use (photo hobby) for about 8 years. I work in accounting for my day job and use windows for that 8 hours every day.

I can say without a doubt I have less hassle with mac. Microsoft excel on Mac with NEVER be good enough for me to use. As an accountant I promise you that. If you are a heavy excel user like me (for my day job) never go mac. However that is the only reason I would keep a windows box around. Everything else - in my opinion - is just better with my mac. I can't quantify it or explain it, but I just don't worry about it. I will check when I get home tonight but I honestly think I have maybe shut down my iMac once or twice in the past year (aside from update restarts) and it functions the same every single day. I just don't worry about anything. My work PC using requires a daily restart for it to run properly.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Sep 29, 2014 14:51 |  #9

benji25 wrote in post #17184311 (external link)
My work PC using requires a daily restart for it to run properly.

Something is probably wrong with your PC. The only times my PCs are restarted are, in order of frequency: a) updates/program installs & uninstalls require it, b) We leave town for an extended period or c) electrical storms...and the latter two are shut-downs for a specific reason, not restarts. There is never any performance loss at all from not restarting. If your PC requires it to run properly, then it is not running properly period.

EDIT - To clarify, I don't care for Macs, but also have no problem with people using them...to each their own. My only point was that you can't paint PCs as constantly requiring restarts to function properly, because unless there is a software problem, that should never be the case.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

tim
Light Bringer
50,968 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 29, 2014 15:14 |  #10

My self built windows 7 PC gets restarted every couple of weeks, and then mostly because I figure I probably should occasionally.

Work PCs under corporate control have all kinds of crud on them, they're generally horribly slow and often unstable. They're a whole different thing from a home computer.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,511 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 29, 2014 15:53 |  #11

It is easier and less expensive to add things like new hardware (with new standards) for peripherals and storage devices to a PC than it is to a Mac.

Example1: If my 'old' PC has only USB 2.0 ports, I can easily add a USB 3.0 board on the expansion bus of my PC to allow me to connect a new faster USB 3.0 external harddrive there.

Example2: If I want to add a Bluetooth DVD drive to my inexpensive PC, it has an expansion slot to fit the DVD drive, whereas my MacMini or iMac does not...I would need a Power Mac.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 29, 2014 16:09 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #17184433 (external link)
Example2: If I want to add a Bluetooth DVD drive to my inexpensive PC, it has an expansion slot to fit the DVD drive, whereas my MacMini or iMac does not...I would need a Power Mac.

Wilt, you're showing your age, man! :)

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 29, 2014 16:10 |  #13

Lobstrosity wrote in post #17184228 (external link)
Thoughts, suggestions?

You could build a hackintosh. If you don't like OS X, then just put Windows on it and call it a day.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

benji25
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 29, 2014 16:17 |  #14

tim wrote in post #17184373 (external link)
My self built windows 7 PC gets restarted every couple of weeks, and then mostly because I figure I probably should occasionally.

Work PCs under corporate control have all kinds of crud on them, they're generally horribly slow and often unstable. They're a whole different thing from a home computer.

I figured this is probably the case. I work for wells fargo so I imagine network connections and such get broken.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

mzondeki
878 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 29, 2014 16:21 |  #15

Windows PC are not susceptible to "Bendgate" ..

Jokes aside, cost plays a big role. Its not only the starting cost , but also the running cost.
Lets say, you bought a latest and greatest Mac in 2008 that was running great on 10 MegaPixel image. By 2014, the same Mac will crawl on 36 Megapixel image. Your only option is to upgrade to a newer Mac paying $$$ . Now with PC, you don't have to completely change your system. Only upgrade the component you need.

This is the exact scenario I have now. Back in 2009, I built a PC using then latest core-i7 @2.7GHz, 6GB memory and video card. Total cost $1000 at that time. Fast forward to 2014, same PC works great with 24MPix image with just 3 changes. Upgrade memory to 12G ($100), Upgrade video card $150. Overclock same processor to 3.4 GHz @ 8 threads.

RX100V, A7 + Contax Zeiss [28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2, 135/2.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/53182994@N06/ (external link)

sponsored links

6,874 views & 0 likes for this thread
So my wife asked me why I was buying a PC instead of a Mac...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.