Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 28 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 22:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Technique help

Terry ­ McDaniel
815 posts
Gallery: 417 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 28, 2014 22:08 |  #1

My front porch spider has reconstructed her web, but so far only has the radial spokes completed. I found by holding a flashlight at different angles I could highlight the spokes. However, I had to use flash to capture the spider, and she is horribly overexposed. Any suggestions on how to get both the spider and the spokes equal would be greatly appreciated.

Canon Rebel, 1st photo is at 55mm, second is at 18mm. 1/60 at f/3.5 on both. If I went to manual and closed down to f/22 or so, wouldn't the flash just flash brighter?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

TerryMc
"The .44 spoke,
It spit lead and smoke,
And 17 inches of flame."
Marty Robbins

sponsored links
Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 29, 2014 18:41 |  #2

I hope someone with real know-how offers suggestions. I suspect, however, that using the onboard flash is unlikely to yield good results on something such as this, especially if you're shooting at night and are also using a flashlight as a light source. If you're going to shoot under these conditions, however, it would probably be a good idea to take control of the flash and then experiment until you get a good exposure.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

aminmomin
56 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 29, 2014 21:04 |  #3

You can use a two flashes, one ring flash and one regular flash for lighting the spider from behind. You are going to have to experiment with the f-stop and shutter and flash power. Here is a video that i found that looks like something your trying to do.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=ZBm9QvVnVCE (external link)

If you are shooting full flash you could try 1/200, F11, ISO100 see where that leads to and tweak the setting accordingly. The best way to know is keep two of the three variables constant and adjust the other and note the change.

as far as your question of, If I went to manual and closed down to f/22 or so, wouldn't the flash just flash brighter?, the flash will not flash brighter the intensity of the flash is controlled by the setting on the flash itself, if you mean will you see more of the flash a f22, well that would depend on you shutter speed. generally larger f-stops (like f22) means less light come to the sensor.

Hope this helps, i suggest getting a firm understanding of aperture, shutter speed and iso and how they relate to one another before trying a complicated lighting situation. That will make you photographs better and you will have less wasted time in trial and error technique and more amazing picture to share.

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 29, 2014 21:57 |  #4

No... if you are in manual flash mode and you keep your flash power output at 1/128 power then you'll be fine, even if you bring your aperture to f/8.

P.s. you didn't list the flash output power you are using. Please list that and we can help you better.

Terry ­ McDaniel
THREAD ­ STARTER
815 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 29, 2014 22:34 |  #5

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. CR, I have no idea what the power output is, or where to find it. It's just the pop-up flash on a Canon Rebel 1000D. I have an old flash for a Canon AE-1 that works on my Rebel, I've gotten mixed results with it by making a "redneck diffuser". That's a piece of toilet paper held over the flash lens with a rubber band, but it didn't help much on this spider. I'd reckon the flash is trying to light up the whole neighborhood, and not just the spider.

TerryMc
"The .44 spoke,
It spit lead and smoke,
And 17 inches of flame."
Marty Robbins

Terry ­ McDaniel
THREAD ­ STARTER
815 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 29, 2014 22:43 as a reply to  @ Terry McDaniel's post |  #6

Looking at that old flash gave me an idea. I set the output on it for 800ASA, then set my camera to 100 ISO. Picture was a bit dark, so I went to 400ASA on the flash. Much better.

HOSTED PHOTO

TerryMc
"The .44 spoke,
It spit lead and smoke,
And 17 inches of flame."
Marty Robbins

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 29, 2014 23:00 |  #7

Terry McDaniel wrote in post #17185222 (external link)
Looking at that old flash gave me an idea. I set the output on it for 800ASA, then set my camera to 100 ISO. Picture was a bit dark, so I went to 400ASA on the flash. Much better.

That's exactly what I was talking about.

As you get more advanced, you discover that the more automatic a camera is, it actually becomes more useless in doing what you want it to do!

sponsored links

976 views & 0 likes for this thread
Technique help
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.