Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Sep 2014 (Friday) 12:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Opinions/Ideas for a low-budget studio lens

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Gallery: 344 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 29, 2014 12:13 |  #31

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17183769 (external link)
but when your subjects range from 4' to nearly 6' my position from them does not remain constant.

Yea that is a good reason not to use a tripod alright, have you tried turning off your Exp Sim, if it's on that is. Not sure if it would help.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear List (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)

sponsored links
Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 29, 2014 15:30 |  #32

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #17183387 (external link)
Just one question, in studio I presume you have a mark for your subjects to stand on so you lighting is consistent & you camera is on a tripod. At F8 is your depth of field so little that you have to consistently recheck focus?

I would never put a mark on the floor, but I do watch where they stand , as I meter them, and they realise if they move a lot it will ruin the lighting.( I generally get their involvement by them holding the light meter ).

I never use a tripod - no need and far too restrictive,
You will be using a sync speed of say 1/160 sec. which is fine for 85 mm as it is, but more importantly the flash durartion will be the factor that freezes motion, and eradicates handshake; that will be circa 1/1100 of a second!

As for depth of Field at 3.5 meters and F8 your total DOF will be 0.8 meters. NB more behind than in front. So being out of focus once locked in is no real issue. That said each shot, I would always refocus, as the DOF Calculators are a lot less picky than I am , when I am looking for razor sharp images.

Even shooting from 2 meters DOF is 1.88 to 2.14 meters in focus. So then its more critical.
But refocusing is what you always do anyway.
You have a 5D3 - one great advantage is the accuracy of the outer focus points so you can even minimise focus and recompose errors. As an AF point is never too far away from the eyes. :)

See http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)
For calculating roughly what will be in focus.

Hope that helps

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,337 posts
Gallery: 344 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 29, 2014 17:08 |  #33

I rarely use a tripod myself, I guess it depends on what shoot I'm doing as tonight I did use one, was more wondering at the DOF he uses, if it was enough to allow no refocusing in his setup, I guessing not so.

Yep, the AF on that 5D3 is truly great as long as you have a motor in your lens... :)

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear List (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 29, 2014 17:09 |  #34

Time is also money - buy a good lens, the 24-105 can be had for 600 and under on ebay. the 28-135 in the 300 range. No reason not to have one with your 6D. Whip thru those kids in half the time. the 28-135 is a very good lens for the money, if you get a sharp copy.. the 24-105 is an outstanding value right now, being sold as part of kits, and so very easy to find a good one.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

rubypickles
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 29, 2014 18:43 |  #35

I use my Canon 50mm 1.4 for studio work. When I need to go wider I do have a 24-105, but I rarely use it.

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/43306105@N06/ (external link)
My website: http://www.nicoleisrae​lphotography.com (external link)

EverydayGetaway
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,626 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 29, 2014 20:10 |  #36

ksbal wrote in post #17184563 (external link)
Time is also money - buy a good lens, the 24-105 can be had for 600 and under on ebay. the 28-135 in the 300 range. No reason not to have one with your 6D. Whip thru those kids in half the time. the 28-135 is a very good lens for the money, if you get a sharp copy.. the 24-105 is an outstanding value right now, being sold as part of kits, and so very easy to find a good one.

That's exactly why I want a lens with AE. I can manually focus really fast and accurately at this point, but the manually stopping down and framing with a dark frame (the main reason I only stop to f/8) is a pain in the tail.

I'll likely end up with the Tamron 70-300. Thanks everyone! If I need wider I can always use my Fuji with it's 18-55 ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,632 views & 0 likes for this thread
Opinions/Ideas for a low-budget studio lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.