Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 10:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 6D Vs Canon 5D Mark III Vs Canon 7D Mark II

wisdom2thewise
127 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 01, 2014 07:01 |  #31

moltengold wrote in post #17185642 (external link)
get the 6D with the 40mm f/2.8
and close your bag

Second that.

Sold my first DSLR & lens = 6D (24-105L) & (40)
Now what prime should i get with the 7d mark ii?...

sponsored links
chungdynasty
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 01, 2014 16:10 as a reply to  @ wisdom2thewise's post |  #32

I shoot mainly video so I exchanged my 6D for the 5D3 for portraits the 6D will be great just make sure down the road you don't want to do anything else like action shots or video otherwise you'll regret it. I couldn't handle the moire I was going to just buy the anti aliasing filter for $365, but I was able to exchange for the 5d3 for $1000 more so I figured the hassle of putting in the filter and taking it out wasn't really worth saving $600 to me plus I get added features like shooting 1080p in raw video and the crazy auto focus if I need stills.

The one thing I will add though is the shutter sound of the 6D sounded sooooo nice like its almost muted

Now that I have the 5D3 the shutter actually sounds offensive to me lol I thought something was broken haha but that's how it sounds after snapping pictures in a store

Strnge
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 01, 2014 17:22 |  #33

Video? What's that? Lol.

MIKE

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,484 posts
Gallery: 629 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 01, 2014 17:38 |  #34

giballi wrote in post #17185913 (external link)
I don't think there's really many people who owned a 5DII and 6D that wouldn't prefer the 6D.

I owned a 5D2 previously (and 5Dc before that). The main reason I don't now own a 6D to compliment my Sony is due to the lack of the rear joystick, I just cant see how I would get by without that as I use it to select AF points. Im patiently waiting for the 5D3 used prices to drop to an acceptable level for me before I pick one up (hoping whenever the 5D4 is announced prices will drop). Im in no rush though as im loving the A7R

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

BKATX
363 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 01, 2014 22:38 |  #35

xpfloyd wrote in post #17188693 (external link)
I owned a 5D2 previously (and 5Dc before that). The main reason I don't now own a 6D to compliment my Sony is due to the lack of the rear joystick, I just cant see how I would get by without that as I use it to select AF points. Im patiently waiting for the 5D3 used prices to drop to an acceptable level for me before I pick one up (hoping whenever the 5D4 is announced prices will drop). Im in no rush though as im loving the A7R

Lack of the rear joystick and a few other features kept me from owning a 6D. However, I took the plunge a few days ago and am happy to say the missing joystick doesn't bother me as much as I expected. Don't get me wrong, the joystick is way better and I wish it was there but it's not a deal breaker.

Not being able to adjust the white balance without going into the menus sucks though. As well as the hobbled exposure compensation system. But the image quality is spectacular and well worth dealing with the 6D's shortcomings. I'm still going to use my 7D for sports and wildlife though.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,484 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 02, 2014 08:50 |  #36

How do you select a focus point on the 6D with the camera at your eye? Curious as still trying to talk myself into a 6D

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 02, 2014 08:53 |  #37

xpfloyd wrote in post #17189747 (external link)
How do you select a focus point on the 6D with the camera at your eye? Curious as still trying to talk myself into a 6D

I believe you do it like any other camera, except you use the multicontroller dial instead of a joystick.

http://www.dummies.com …int-on-your-canon-eo.html (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,371 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 02, 2014 09:05 |  #38

The joypad is like a Dpad, rather than joystick. It moves in 4 directions rather than 8+center of the joystick.

You can set multi controller direct just like the joystick.

Sony A7riii/A9 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,484 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 02, 2014 13:29 |  #39

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17189757 (external link)
I believe you do it like any other camera, except you use the multicontroller dial instead of a joystick.

http://www.dummies.com …int-on-your-canon-eo.html (external link)

Charlie wrote in post #17189783 (external link)
The joypad is like a Dpad, rather than joystick. It moves in 4 directions rather than 8+center of the joystick.

You can set multi controller direct just like the joystick.

Thanks. Is it possible to do this as a one click operation? That dummies guide says you first press the AF point selection button before using the 4 way to select the point. On my 5D2 I just moved the joystick and the point moved, there wasnt a button needed prior. Can the 6D be configured the same way?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,371 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 02, 2014 13:48 |  #40

xpfloyd wrote in post #17190195 (external link)
Thanks. Is it possible to do this as a one click operation? That dummies guide says you first press the AF point selection button before using the 4 way to select the point. On my 5D2 I just moved the joystick and the point moved, there wasnt a button needed prior. Can the 6D be configured the same way?

yes, that's what "multi-controller direct" setting is. You click the control pad and the AF points start moving. You can see the problem here though, the 6D has 11 AF points.... the D pad is 4 way. The 5D3 has a 9 point system or 9 zone system that requires exactly 1 click to get where you want. The 6D may take up to 4 clicks to get where you want, but in practice, if you keep the camera in landscape, 2 or 3 usually get the job done.

It's an annoyance, but not the end of the world.

Sony A7riii/A9 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,484 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 02, 2014 14:06 |  #41

Charlie wrote in post #17190218 (external link)
yes, that's what "multi-controller direct" setting is. You click the control pad and the AF points start moving. You can see the problem here though, the 6D has 11 AF points.... the D pad is 4 way. The 5D3 has a 9 point system or 9 zone system that requires exactly 1 click to get where you want. The 6D may take up to 4 clicks to get where you want, but in practice, if you keep the camera in landscape, 2 or 3 usually get the job done.

It's an annoyance, but not the end of the world.

Thanks Charlie, food for thought. I could live with that.

Sorry for the hijack OP

Logicus
787 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 02, 2014 21:00 |  #42

OK... I just rented the 6D for a weekend shootnig a music festival in Chicago and I've previously used a 5DMkII for the last 4-5 years for every concert before, usually with a 50mm and a 70-200/2.8 (no IS).

There are differences, of course, but I had no issue getting used to the 6D at all, and I think other than the increase in performance (especially at high ISO), the biggest things that changed for me were ergonomics, but not all that bad.

I like the on/off switch on the dial and I LOVE the lock on the dial. Lemme say it again, I LOVE the lock on the dial.

Yeah, you lose the joystick, but you really only replace it with the ring around the select button, as it turns into a pressable u/l/d/r button on it's own.

I DID miss the WB button being on top at the LCD? That was just a stupid decision somewhere along the line. C'mon, my 40D has it!

Everything else was similar enough that I didn't really notice if there were any other differences.

Biggest and best change over the 5DII? Clicking on ISO and giving that dial a wild spin into 5 digit + numbers! I can't even tell you how many more usable shots I had, the ability to shoot at 1/100+ in low low light... wow. Seriously.

AF? Everyone yells that the 6D should have 7d's or 5dIII's AF... I dunno... getting the 11-point was a gift after having had 9-point for so long. It seemed plenty fast enough and I mostly used center-point anyway. If you reeeaaaaaally need the lightning-fast focus, go the extra $1k or more and get the 5DIII, but I had no issues with it.

Battery life seems much better than with the 5DII. The first night, I shot from 6:30 PM until about midnight or so, taking 1500 shots, and never turned it off. The battery meter never moved. The next night I shot the show from 6:30 til 12:30 and then the after party till about 3am or so. dropped two battery bars (5 or 6 total available) and took 2200shots.

I'm buying a 6D for sure. Loved it.

My Gear List
My flickr (external link)
My flickr photos organized by Lens Used (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 02, 2014 21:05 |  #43

Are you shooting JPG? The 5D2 has the old JPG engine in it, upgrading the JPG capabilities on the latest bodies was probably one of the best things Canon did to catch them up on the IQ front for those that either shoot JPG, or use DPP.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

marybuck
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 07, 2014 10:17 as a reply to  @ post 17177863 |  #44

I would like to add to my previous post a couple weeks ago about the Canon 6d only having 19 AF points. Since I have discovered back button focus that is not an issue anymore. Back button focus is great - I will never go back to the old way of focusing.

Mary Buck
Photography Instructor Studio 2.8 (external link)
Portrait Photographer (external link)

Strnge
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 25, 2014 18:42 |  #45

I love back button focus!!!

MIKE

sponsored links

15,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 6D Vs Canon 5D Mark III Vs Canon 7D Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.