Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 07:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

He wants what?

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 30, 2014 10:33 |  #16

What is weird about asking a photographer if you can buy an image from them? Kind of what photography businesses do... selling images and all that

Peter

sponsored links
njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 30, 2014 10:36 |  #17

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17185990 (external link)
What is weird about asking a photographer if you can buy an image from them? Kind of what photography businesses do... selling images and all that

I think he meant because he asked for a file and not a physical print.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,229 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 30, 2014 10:37 |  #18

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17185990 (external link)

In the OP there was no mention of a request to sell. Just that some guy he didnt know wanted a full rez file.

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 30, 2014 10:40 |  #19

I highly doubt someone would, out of the blue, ask a photographer for a full-resolution file if he intended on 'buying' a print.

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 30, 2014 10:50 |  #20

madhatter04 wrote in post #17186006 (external link)
I highly doubt someone would, out of the blue, ask a photographer for a full-resolution file if he intended on 'buying' a print.

It'd also be a surprising strategy if the plan was to start reselling the print as their own.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,961 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 30, 2014 11:00 |  #21

How likely is it that someone who wasn't a photographer would know to ask for a full-resolution file?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 30, 2014 11:05 |  #22

Very easy. I'm yet to have a client or enquiry from anyone who didn't know what a high resolution file was. It isn't some alien language. Cameras and talk about the benefits etc of higher resolutions has been main stream marketing for camera and phone companies for years now. Photography is common not some mystical thing.

Peter

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 30, 2014 11:16 |  #23

True--it's the language (high resolution) that sells consumer dslrs.

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17186053 (external link)
Very easy. I'm yet to have a client or enquiry from anyone who didn't know what a high resolution file was. It isn't some alien language. Cameras and talk about the benefits etc of higher resolutions has been main stream marketing for camera and phone companies for years now. Photography is common not some mystical thing.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

WillMeades
THREAD ­ STARTER
675 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 30, 2014 12:03 |  #24

travisvwright wrote in post #17185701 (external link)
Yeah. Guy want's a picture on his wall. Guy who sells pictures to put on walls balks

...and threatens to stalk him on social media, or implies only people with certain jobs can buy his pictures?

Really beautiful shot btw.

Thanks for the compliment on the shot.
On another note; you assumed that I sell photos. I have never sold photos and have never setup my site to sell them. I don't feel I am at a point to where I would feel comfortable selling them.

For all: I am on here to learn and become more proficient at what is currently my hobby. I may have been a little over the top with my original reply to the fellow, but have taken the constructive criticism from your responses to heart and have attempted to correct my actions. By the way, since I offered to setup the photo so that he can use one of the labs offered by zenfolio to buy a print (no $$ to me), I've not received any communications back.

“too much stuff, too little time"
WillMeades (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 30, 2014 14:04 |  #25

Digimarc it, send him the file with very precise usage license, then send him a fat invoice when he uses it in a manner that conflicts with that usage license.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

WillMeades
THREAD ­ STARTER
675 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 01, 2014 07:29 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #26

update:
So I heard back from the guy. He works/lives in Malaysia and does photography as a hobby. I told him that I was honored that he would want to display my work in his home and setup a HiRez file so that he could purchase a print....less than $10 for large print. He stated that he didn't want to buy a print; that he couldn't afford it. He wanted the file to get it developed there. oh well...

“too much stuff, too little time"
WillMeades (external link)

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 01, 2014 08:08 |  #27

WillMeades wrote in post #17187617 (external link)
update:
So I heard back from the guy. He works/lives in Malaysia and does photography as a hobby. I told him that I was honored that he would want to display my work in his home and setup a HiRez file so that he could purchase a print....less than $10 for large print. He stated that he didn't want to buy a print; that he couldn't afford it. He wanted the file to get it developed there. oh well...

On the whole, I think this was handled pretty correctly and should be the model. After contact, 1. get an understanding of why and what is actually wanted and then 2. decide if it's something you want to do. In this case a "Thanks for the compliment but I don't give away my work." should suffice.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 01, 2014 20:45 |  #28

WillMeades wrote in post #17187617 (external link)
update:

Yeah 10 USD is probably a day or two worth of pay there for the lower class. So it's understandable.

Even if he could afford it, I wouldn't want the hassle of shipping stuff there. My brother lives in Thailand, and apparently the mail can't read English addresses well, and if you write in Thai then the US mail won't know what to do with it. Maybe a dual language written address combo, but still the shipping is probably more than the cost of the item itself.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,229 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 01, 2014 21:15 |  #29

I dont know sbout Malaysia but I wss going to ship a small package to Guam and it was outrageous. Its unfortunate thst the disparity in the economies prices the guy out, but you coulnt have reasonably gone any lower

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 01, 2014 21:42 |  #30

OhLook wrote in post #17186040 (external link)
How likely is it that someone who wasn't a photographer would know to ask for a full-resolution file?

These days?

Very.

The digital age has made people very aware of what different things mean. I've had non-photographer clients ask for full resolution images.

It's quite common...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

sponsored links

4,565 views & 0 likes for this thread
He wants what?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.