Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 19 Sep 2014 (Friday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WEC Tudor at COTA Thurs Practice Shots

griz11
290 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 19, 2014 21:07 |  #1

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/243531918/WEC%20Cota/GRIZ8614-Edit.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/243531918/WEC%20Cota/GRIZ9032-Edit.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/243531918/WEC%20Cota/GRIZ9063-Edit.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/243531918/WEC%20Cota/GRIZ9094-Edit.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/243531918/WEC%20Cota/GRIZ9103-Edit.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/243531918/WEC%20Cota/GRIZ9228-Edit.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/243531918/WEC%20Cota/GRIZ9967-Edit.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/243531918/WEC%20Cota/Moments%20in%20Time.jpg

Going back tomorrow for the actual races. Should be pretty sweet as the WEC race starts late in the afternoon and goes into the night. Going to slow down my exposure just a bit to get more wheel blur and try some different things.

Griz

WO 102GT with Flat6 Losmandy StarLapse Dec Axis Servos and SciTech controller Borg guider scope and Lodestar guider Canon 7D 7DMkII Canon 70-200 f4L USM Canon EF400 f5.6L USM Canon 40mm f2.8 STM Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC Borg guider scope and Lodestar guider www.pbase.com/griz11 (external link)

sponsored links
wtlwdwgn
714 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 20, 2014 09:56 |  #2

Nice shooting. The last one is the best of the bunch. Hope you enjoy the WEC tonight.

Steve
Pentax K-3, K10D, K20D, Nikon D700

stereofool
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 20, 2014 17:08 as a reply to  @ wtlwdwgn's post |  #3

Those are some great clear and crisp shots :D!

Where were you shooting to get your 'fence free' shots?

I'll be going back to the F1 race next month, but with General Admission I couldn't find any point on the course where fences were not it the way.

griz11
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 20, 2014 20:07 as a reply to  @ stereofool's post |  #4

All along the pathway above the esses from the bridge to turn 9. You can roam that whole path and there are several great spots to shoot from. A couple of places where you can get an angle and be catch fence free. Just go downhill until your lens is just above the spectator fence and its clear to the track. I shot a lot from the bridges they weren't messing with anyone all weekend for that. Shooters were real good about getting a few and backing out so someone else could get some. You do need a long lens. 300mm just won't do. I bought the 400 after going to F1 last year. Its the first time I've seen the whole track. I just drive my scooter up to a nice spot and pivot the seat. I use a monopod with a fluid joint and foot and a Jobu Jr gimbal. I can shoot standing up but my legs start shaking fairly quickly so I try and find places I can sit and shoot. I found a basket for the back that was just the right size for my camera bag and I have a couple of those snap in wall hangers you use for garden tools to hold monopod when I'm moving. This is the first weekend I've used it at a big race. Its so nice being able to get around again. Shots are so boring when you take them all from a few close spots. If you get a chance to go to COTA by all means check it out. First class facility the track is beautiful. Very technical. Vintage Nationals in less than a month then F1 Halloween weekend. I lucked out when I picked this area to retire :) I think I have somewhere around 3500 shots from today. Almost 4 cards. So I'll post up the best of those in a day or so.

Thanks
Griz

WO 102GT with Flat6 Losmandy StarLapse Dec Axis Servos and SciTech controller Borg guider scope and Lodestar guider Canon 7D 7DMkII Canon 70-200 f4L USM Canon EF400 f5.6L USM Canon 40mm f2.8 STM Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC Borg guider scope and Lodestar guider www.pbase.com/griz11 (external link)

Bicknell55
347 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 21, 2014 22:05 |  #5

stereofool wrote in post #17167682 (external link)
Those are some great clear and crisp shots :D!

Where were you shooting to get your 'fence free' shots?

I'll be going back to the F1 race next month, but with General Admission I couldn't find any point on the course where fences were not it the way.

There are plenty of places to shoot, you just have to get creative and think a bit outside the box. Also with a 400 on a crop body you can shoot through the fence.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
http://www.brentsmithp​hotography.com/ (external link)http://brentsmith.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

griz11
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 28, 2014 12:09 as a reply to  @ Bicknell55's post |  #6

Don't like to shoot through the fences. Even though they are blurred they are still there. Lots of places you can shoot just over the top of the fence through one of the access points on the inner fence. I can't crawl down hills and such. If its not scooter friendly I have to leave it alone. So spots I look for are someplace I can pull up parallel to the track swivel the seat and start shooting. Nobody makes stuff to help out the handicapped shoot photos so whatever adaptations you need you have to come up with. For instance the morphine I have to take causes my hands and legs to shake. And sitting down I don't have the freedom to twist for panning like you do when you are standing. A footed fluid joint monopod and small gimbal takes care of that. So I've had to do lots of out of the box thinking just to get to the point of taking a picture. What I really have problems with is slow shutter pans. Pretty much essential for good motorsports pictures. The medication sure does mess with this part of the process. So most of my photos are shot with a high shutter speed. I'm just doing it for fun so it doesn't really make any difference but I do like the look of the slow shutter shots so I've been working on it. Did 20 last time and got 4 good ones. Some excellent shots in your gallery. Wish they did dirt oval here in the daytime. Lots of tracks in the area but they all run at night.

Griz

Bicknell55
347 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 28, 2014 22:53 |  #7

Thanks.

I don't like shooting through fences either but I was pleasantly surprised with what I got last year at COTA. The fence was not very noticable at all. Most of my 'thru the fence' stuff from is head on or going away so it would probably be better for you since you don't have to pan. A few of the places would be hard to access on a scooter since they are on a fairly steep slope but others would be fairly do-able.

Dirt ovals in the daytime are great since there is actually decent light but the dust is usually out of control. Come night the dust is less but for most tracks the lighting could be call mediocre to poor at best.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
http://www.brentsmithp​hotography.com/ (external link)http://brentsmith.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

griz11
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 29, 2014 07:36 as a reply to  @ Bicknell55's post |  #8

Yea I've done lots of video of dirt oval. But never any still shots. I'm getting back into astrophotography now. I can do that from the back yard. Well actually astrophotography and timelapses. Just picked up a Losmandy StarLapse and I've been trying to master it the last week. Vintage race coming up soon. Do you get right up against the fence saw quite a few doing it that way last time. I tried some at the motogp race last year and they were all bad. But I have a feeling I was at the wrong distance from the fence. I did try and go down the hill a bit in turn 11 but had a hard time getting back up. It had been raining and it was very slippery. Its all good like I said I only do this for fun anyways. Already did my career thing. I can pan pretty decent with the fluid monopod. I do stand up some but my legs start shaking pretty quick and I'm afraid they are going to go out from under me. If I could just move back to Colorado and get off the heavy pain meds and go back to what I was on there I'd be a lot better. Going there in a week or so to check out some possibilities.

I did manage to get some slow shutter shots. Man they look so much better with that wheel spinning and the background blurred. You can get pretty close in Ps but I don't like mucking with my stuff too much. Old school I guess.

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/243531918/WEC%20Cota/Batch4/GRIZ0490-Edit.jpg

1/120 sec on this one. Next time I'm going to do them all at slow shutter speeds. Time to sink or swim.

Griz

ExplicitSnow
449 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 01, 2014 21:08 |  #9

nice shots griz11...i was shooting next to you for a bit at the top of the hill, turn 5/6...i just posted my images from the COTA weekend, https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1400466

griz11
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 05, 2014 17:38 |  #10

I like that Aston of yours :) Are you going to the Vintage race next weekend? My brother is home for a leave so we are going to take that in. Went last year it was pretty nice. Even more cars this year they say. Going to hit that on Friday and Sat then haul to Houston for the Super Chevy Show. And I do mean haul. His vette is 660 at the rear wheels. Don't know if I want to own one but I sure like riding in his.

Griz

dhog6s
53 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 07, 2014 23:20 |  #11

Great shots!!

ExplicitSnow
449 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 08, 2014 12:34 |  #12

I'm still debating on the vintage weekend...200mm is the longest lens I own & on full frame, it doesn't do much at the track...pit and paddock is probably where I'd score my keeper shots

griz11
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 08, 2014 21:23 as a reply to  @ ExplicitSnow's post |  #13

Yea its a big lens track for sure. First time I went I had 70-300 and things were just too tiny. With the 400mm f5.6 its still a long way out to the cars but much better. Looks like the vintage race is going to be wet. Maybe Friday but Sat is looking bad and Sun worse. Should have known the last piece for my astrophotography rig is in and by the time I get it all assembled its going to be raining and I can't use it. Typical The pits should be some good shooting. There were so many cars last year. And even more this year. Last year I was at the other end of the lens spectrum. I didn't have one wide enough. If I get to go this time I'll have both. The 400 is going to be excellent for astro work as well as racing shots.

Griz

griz11
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 13, 2014 20:05 |  #14

Had some great news today. An email from FIA/WEC telling me I had come in 1st runner up in their Spirit of LeMans photo contest. Here is the link to the announcement.

http://www.fiawec.com …n-winner-chosen_2635.html (external link)

No pros were allowed in the contest and all photos had to be from the public areas of the track. One winner from each tracks submissions went into the finals. The winner is going to Brazil for the final race of the season. Mine is the pic of the AF Corsa Ferrari.

Griz

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 14, 2014 15:45 |  #15

That's awesome, congratulations to you ! bw!

All New Year, All New Sig !

sponsored links

2,843 views & 0 likes for this thread
WEC Tudor at COTA Thurs Practice Shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.