Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 03 Oct 2014 (Friday) 20:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Air show scanners

Ontario55
67 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 03, 2014 20:26 |  #1

I'm not sure where to post this so if this isn't correct please advise where to post it.
I'm looking to buy a radio or programmable scanner to listen to the Airboss or the Tower at airshows
In attending some shows I fund the announcer doesn't inform people which direction the plane is coming from
Make and model please
TIA

sponsored links
goldenturtle
159 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 03, 2014 23:17 |  #2

Uniden Handheld Scanner - Black (BC75XLT)
Try this, I have used one and had incredible results, not just with air craft freq's but some fire and police as well. Also look for Pop Communication magazine for ads and reviews. Pop Com frequently runs articles giving the frequencies at air shows. HOWEVER be careful a lot of airport security people have gotten nasty about scanner usage, thinking we might be terrorists. I got stopped by a security guy thinking my receiver only radio could transmit and give wrong or bad info to pilots. Listening to tower comms. is a fun hobby enjoy!

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 03, 2014 23:44 |  #3

Both Popular Communications and Monitoring Times magazine are no more. There is now a general communications section derived from Pop Comm that is added to the Ham Radio magazine QST. Another good source for frequencies is radioreference.com.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,755 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 04, 2014 07:08 |  #4

Since you used a descriptive title, the forum has done a mini-search for you. Look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.
And without images to share, I need to move this thread to "T. Talk".

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Ontario55
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 06, 2014 20:47 |  #5

I called a Uniden dealer and they told me that the BC75XLT will not get the military frequencies. That I need to get a BC 125AT

goldenturtle wrote in post #17192765 (external link)
Uniden Handheld Scanner - Black (BC75XLT)
Try this, I have used one and had incredible results, not just with air craft freq's but some fire and police as well. Also look for Pop Communication magazine for ads and reviews. Pop Com frequently runs articles giving the frequencies at air shows. HOWEVER be careful a lot of airport security people have gotten nasty about scanner usage, thinking we might be terrorists. I got stopped by a security guy thinking my receiver only radio could transmit and give wrong or bad info to pilots. Listening to tower comms. is a fun hobby enjoy!

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 09, 2014 11:23 |  #6

Here is also a piece of advice, AF shows do not allow the use of scanners but Navy ones do. Don't ask me why the AF doesn't allow them. The AF shows have some of the stupidest rules. For example, a few years ago at Aviation Nation, no lenses over 300mm was allowed in. This was not the show's rule but some SP thought he would make up his own rule. Trust me there were a lot of pissed people that day. So before you take a scanner to a show, make sure you check the allowable items for that show.

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,702 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 13, 2014 15:36 |  #7

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17193058 (external link)
Since you used a descriptive title, the forum has done a mini-search for you. Look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.
And without images to share, I need to move this thread to "T. Talk".

Those links are for film scanners. There are scanner forums on the web and the frequencies are available there too. Some scanners skip over the aircraft UHF band so be sure to get one that covers the frequencies you want to listen to.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

PhotosGuy
75,755 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 14, 2014 08:46 |  #8

^ ^ Agggh! Sorry!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 01, 2014 11:25 |  #9

I run a tiny little Icom R5 - it has worked so far for me, listening at both local airports (YPPH and YPJT) and for other radio stuff, water bombers/helitacks during fire season, ground based fire crews, security companies, and motorsport events.

it easily fits in a shirt pocket, and has come in really handy for quite a few jobs.

(can't listen to Police or Ambulance here, Police use an encrypted digital system, and the ambulance use MDTs)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

LBinAZ
69 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 01, 2014 23:46 |  #10

Ontario55 wrote in post #17197989 (external link)
I called a Uniden dealer and they told me that the BC75XLT will not get the military frequencies. That I need to get a BC 125AT

I just got the Uniden BC125AT. That model has the Military Air Band 225-380 Mhz range that the BC75XLT does not have. It's new enough that I haven't used it near a military air base yet. I might have a chance to get over by Luke AFB in the Phoenix area on Friday & I'm taking the scanner with me to check that frequency range out. I went to the Uniden website & downloaded the user manuals for the 75 & 125 models - that helped me pick the 125. If you pick that one up also download the software & drivers from their website - then you can connect it via USB to your PC and program it via the keyboard versus the tedious keypad and knob programming built into the scanner.

sponsored links

4,768 views & 0 likes for this thread
Air show scanners
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.