Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Oct 2014 (Saturday) 01:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How NOT to do wedding photography

lapino
THREAD ­ STARTER
502 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 05, 2014 01:25 |  #16

Read above, I don't accept paid work for relatives. I have a feeling they just heard she's "good" and decided to go with it. I haven't seen the final results yet but the way she handled her cameras and subjects, I'm not expecting too much.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/23660915@N07/ (external link)
Gear: Fuji X-T2 / 18-55/2.8-4 / 23/1.4 / 56/1.2 / 55-200/ RX100M4

sponsored links
banquetbear
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 05, 2014 04:31 |  #17

lapino wrote in post #17194350 (external link)
I'm not expecting too much.

...meh. It wasn't your wedding. You shouldn't be expecting anything at all.

It really is none of your business. You were never going to do it. You certainly didn't put any money towards paying for the photographer. Maybe it was a choice between a budget photographer or no photographer, so they went with option number one. Don't worry about what other people do and get on with your own life.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 05, 2014 04:53 |  #18

panicatnabisco wrote in post #17192999 (external link)
"you think hiring a professional is expensive? wait till you hire an amateur"

And that's probably the key to the whole thing. I can imagine that in an attempt to keep costs down they "hired" this amateur 'tog rather than spend money on a professional.

Everything in life is a compromise and maybe the wedding couple just don't see pictures of their wedding as a money burning essential?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 05, 2014 08:19 |  #19

If the photographer supplies images consistent with their portfolio and the couple have hired them on the basis of that portfolio and agreed to the price having done so... I don't see what the problem is. An honest sale by the photographer and an informed choice by the couple knowing exactly what they are buying.

It is attitudes like yours that make me sick and not want to be part of the photographic industry. Self serving, condescending clap trap.

Peter

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 05, 2014 08:52 as a reply to  @ memoriesoftomorrow's post |  #20

It's a good thing that nobody is getting all worked up over this....

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 05, 2014 11:38 |  #21

20droger wrote in post #17194689 (external link)
It's a good thing that nobody is getting all worked up over this....

I'm sure he's seen these threads before and had half an inkling of how it would go. If the OP was never going to shoot the wedding, did they ever ask for advice on a photog? Did he volunteer any info? It seems to me that the couple made the decision and I'm not sure what horse the OP has in this race except to come on here and belittle another photographer's work, which he hasn't seen yet, because of the appearance of her gear. It comes off here, as it always comes off in these threads, snobby. You're a close relative and yet you weren't concerned enough about the photography until the wedding day, at which time you take the opportunity to denigrate someone. Something just doesn't add up.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

longbeachgary
Redwood Original
583 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Oct 05, 2014 11:49 |  #22

elrey2375 wrote in post #17194937 (external link)
I'm sure he's seen these threads before and had half an inkling of how it would go. If the OP was never going to shoot the wedding, did they ever ask for advice on a photog? Did he volunteer any info? It seems to me that the couple made the decision and I'm not sure what horse the OP has in this race except to come on here and belittle another photographer's work, which he hasn't seen yet, because of the appearance of her gear. It comes off here, as it always comes off in these threads, snobby. You're a close relative and yet you weren't concerned enough about the photography until the wedding day, at which time you take the opportunity to denigrate someone. Something just doesn't add up.

Photographers snobby? Say it ain't so!!

Canon 1DX, Canon 1D Mark iii, 20 F2.8, 100 F2.0, 200L F2.8, 300L F4, 400L 5.6, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8L, 70-200 F2.8L, 70-200 F4 IS, and the 2nd 3rd party lens I've ever owned - Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 Sport.

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 05, 2014 18:27 |  #23

riveragaryj@juno.com wrote in post #17194964 (external link)
Photographers snobby? Say it ain't so!!

I know, it's hard to imagine, isn't it:wink:

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,996 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 06, 2014 07:20 |  #24

Just so long as the photographer is not about to end up here. (external link)

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

lapino
THREAD ­ STARTER
502 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 06, 2014 07:30 |  #25

elrey2375 wrote in post #17194937 (external link)

Guys, let me put some things in perspective. So please stop the personal assaults. The reason this bothered me, is because the relative I'm talking about is someone who is very close to me and who has had her fair share of personel and financial problems. Too bad we have not had contact during a couple months up to the day of the wedding. Nothing bad between us, just life. She approached me during the wedding asking me what I though about the photographer doing her business because she had a feeling she wans't quite up to the task. I was so kind as to assure her not to be worried and wait for the pictures, but at the same time felt and saw enough to know beforehand that things won't be that amazing as my relative is expecting it to be. I asked her (my relative) about a portfolio, she never saw any. And when she mentioned the asking price, I was really stunned. So yeah, I got a little worked up (inside) because of this, and not in the least because I know this was a VERY special day to her and bad pictures is the last thing she's expecting.

I'm not a snobby photographer, in fact I frequent these forums and others way too much because I'm always in 'learning' mode. But being so passionate about what I do, please excuse me for expressing my opinion on the simple fact that people like the one 'performing' on that wedding, tend to do more harm than good for professional photographers. Mind that I don't make a 'living" out of my photography, the money I get from doing several stuff is always invested in new gear but what I do is done offically. But I know a LOT of photographers who do make a living out of it and have a VERY hard time because amateurs like the women I saw doing her 'job' tend to take away a lot of money which unknowing couples would be better off spending with a 'real' pro.

Let me add, I have NO problem whatsoever with a passionate amateur making a buck out of photography, but at least make sure what you're doing, especially on a wedding. This is mostly a once-in-a-lifetime moment, it must be incredibly hard to see that spoilt (in part) by lousy pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/23660915@N07/ (external link)
Gear: Fuji X-T2 / 18-55/2.8-4 / 23/1.4 / 56/1.2 / 55-200/ RX100M4

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 06, 2014 07:57 |  #26

Hiring a wedding photographer without first checking their portfolio is about as foolish as it gets. Sorry but anyone who hires a wedding photographer (effectively blindly) not knowing what their work actually looks like deserves little to no sympathy if they are disappointed with the results. If they really cared about their photography (irespective of their budget) they'd make the effort to actually see some of the work beforehand. How can anyone form expectations for themselves if they haven't a clue what it is they are actually buying.

If you have a lot a friends who are struggling with competition that is a reflection on their ability to run their business and on what they produce. They only need look in the mirror to see where their problems really lie.

FWIW if the photographer in question delivers work consistent with the portfolio they do have (even if the standard is poor) then your relative has little ground for complaint.

Peter

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,266 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 06, 2014 08:00 |  #27

Did you bother to ask the relative why she hired this person?

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 06, 2014 09:26 |  #28

lapino wrote in post #17196466 (external link)
Guys, let me put some things in perspective. So please stop the personal assaults. The reason this bothered me, is because the relative I'm talking about is someone who is very close to me and who has had her fair share of personel and financial problems. Too bad we have not had contact during a couple months up to the day of the wedding. Nothing bad between us, just life. She approached me during the wedding asking me what I though about the photographer doing her business because she had a feeling she wans't quite up to the task. I was so kind as to assure her not to be worried and wait for the pictures, but at the same time felt and saw enough to know beforehand that things won't be that amazing as my relative is expecting it to be. I asked her (my relative) about a portfolio, she never saw any. And when she mentioned the asking price, I was really stunned. So yeah, I got a little worked up (inside) because of this, and not in the least because I know this was a VERY special day to her and bad pictures is the last thing she's expecting.

I'm not a snobby photographer, in fact I frequent these forums and others way too much because I'm always in 'learning' mode. But being so passionate about what I do, please excuse me for expressing my opinion on the simple fact that people like the one 'performing' on that wedding, tend to do more harm than good for professional photographers. Mind that I don't make a 'living" out of my photography, the money I get from doing several stuff is always invested in new gear but what I do is done offically. But I know a LOT of photographers who do make a living out of it and have a VERY hard time because amateurs like the women I saw doing her 'job' tend to take away a lot of money which unknowing couples would be better off spending with a 'real' pro.

Let me add, I have NO problem whatsoever with a passionate amateur making a buck out of photography, but at least make sure what you're doing, especially on a wedding. This is mostly a once-in-a-lifetime moment, it must be incredibly hard to see that spoilt (in part) by lousy pictures.

Thanks for explaining. If this amateur is as you described, she's not taking any weddings away from me or any other photographer that I know of. I don't do $399 weddings. If that is who she's taking, she can have those. Also, your idea of good photos and the bride's might not match up. She might be happy with them.

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,266 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 06, 2014 09:53 |  #29

elrey2375 wrote in post #17196693 (external link)
She might be happy with them.

And that's all that matters...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,554 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 06, 2014 11:18 |  #30

The only problem I see here is if the couple paid thousands of dollars and didnt get thousands of dollars worth of work. If they paid the guy $50 why be surprised that they get $50 worth of work? I have no idea what they paid but until we know some more of those details the entire point is moot.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

sponsored links

5,874 views & 0 likes for this thread
How NOT to do wedding photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.