Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Oct 2014 (Sunday) 02:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it okay to "just" be a photographer these days?

154 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 05, 2014 02:49 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I've seen some REALLY pretentious and snobby people on the internet, youtube etc where they have some weird standards for photos. Mainly it's about how much weird things you add to the photo with photoshop, or how you have to have a bunch of different external lights in your photo. They make it seem like you're not a good photographer if you don't "create" something.

Don't get me wrong, I am great at photoshop and can do any of those fancy things...but it takes so damn long and isn't really gratifying to me.

I really just am thinking about people who took pics in the 60s and 70s and 80s and 90s and they really just went out there with a camera and took a photo of something interesting. I'm not talking about not creatively developing (either in the darkroom or lightroom) but they weren't adding a ton of stuff with photoshop.

sponsored links
blksporty
227 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 05, 2014 04:18 |  #2

I not only think it's "OK", but I think that it should be that way except in certain instances. I shoot mainly sports and try to keep the end photo as close to "what I actually saw" as possible. I do use Lightroom to correct color balance many times because I shoot indoors a lot and have trouble with lights cycling. I think that many photos I see are way over processed. If you are trying for some modern art type photo then do what you want, but for depicting the actual sceneā€¦.keep it simple. Just my thoughts, YMMV

Gear:
1D mkIV x 2, 24-70LII, 70-200 2.8 non IS, 100-400, 50D, Flash's and other stuff

bk2life
583 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 05, 2014 05:25 |  #3

i shoot for me, not anyone else, unless they are paying me to shoot for them.

-james
5Diii|7D|Nifty 50|Canon 17-55mm-2.8|Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ii|2x 600EX-RT|ST-E3-RT|CS6

moose10101
registered smartass
1,685 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 05, 2014 08:52 |  #4

78962 wrote in post #17194409 (external link)
I've seen some REALLY pretentious and snobby people on the internet, youtube etc where they have some weird standards for photos.

I think the key word there is "some". Some people use a photo as the starting point for creating something that may no longer look like a photo; nothing wrong with that. Some people try to minimize manipulation; nothing wrong there either. Some people even refuse to do basic cropping; that's cool too. I hear that some people take all the color out of their images. :eek:

If you let the opinions of "some" people on the Internet bother you, you'll never get out of bed in the morning.

DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Oct 05, 2014 08:55 |  #5

I've seen some REALLY pretentious and snobby people on the internet, youtube etc where they have some weird standards for photos. Mainly it's about how much weird things you add to the photo with photoshop, or how you have to have a bunch of different external lights in your photo. They make it seem like you're not a good photographer if you don't "create" something.

My opinion is a radical chance from these guys online. I think external effects can take away from a photo easily rather than adding to it. Stuff like "OMG this picture is so great because of the thin DOF!" just don't do it for me. I spend my time and attention on lighting and composition. If a photograph needs a certain technique, either in-camera or in post, I will use that but that doesn't make me a better or worse photographer.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,060 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 05, 2014 09:13 |  #6

I've been complimented on my natural style, a lot of my clients don't like the oversaturated, HDR, etc look. they just want a real photo.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 05, 2014 09:16 |  #7

moose10101 wrote in post #17194691 (external link)
I think the key word there is "some". Some people use a photo as the starting point for creating something that may no longer look like a photo; nothing wrong with that. Some people try to minimize manipulation; nothing wrong there either. Some people even refuse to do basic cropping; that's cool too. I hear that some people take all the color out of their images. :eek:

If you let the opinions of "some" people on the Internet bother you, you'll never get out of bed in the morning.

And in some cases, maybe they shouldn't get out of bed. It'd make it loads easier on the rest of us.

My cohort and I are a photographic team. We are "purists." We do our best to get it right in camera so as to require as little post processing as possible. When we have a shot that requires no more than a little sharpening and conversion to JPEG, we feel we've done it right.

We shoot for fun, not profit. However, hundreds of our shots have been sold, so I guess we are "professionals" in that sense.

We like bugs, and seem to have a knack for finding new ones and/or capturing better images of old ones. We specialize in macro shots of insects and other small critters with a controlled depth of field encompassing the whole critter, but no much more. Many of our shots have been purchased by or donated to professional entomological organizations.

However, we never shoot with image sales in mind, and we never shoot on a for hire basis. We shoot for ourselves. If a shot turns out to be saleable, fine. If it doesn't, also fine. The joy is in the capture, not the sale.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,484 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 05, 2014 09:20 |  #8

Don't get me wrong, I am great at photoshop and can do any of those fancy things...but it takes so damn long and isn't really gratifying to me.

I really just am thinking about people who took pics in the 60s and 70s and 80s and 90s and they really just went out there with a camera and took a photo of something interesting. I'm not talking about not creatively developing (either in the darkroom or lightroom) but they weren't adding a ton of stuff with photoshop.

I guess Jerry Uelsmann didn't happen? :lol::lol::lol:

Ansel Adams is also considered a purist (whatever that means) but he purposely exposed his film correctly for the way he processed the negative and then printed the print (the zones system) which usually changed the scene to the way it looked to Adams as he saw it in his minds eye which was not the way it looked in reality (whatever that means).

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Oct 05, 2014 09:35 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #9

Well, I'm an amateur, so I mostly agree. The only thing is - I've seen some stuff here that is really artistic and beautiful. Some people with a camera are more like artists trying to capture a starting-point for their creation, than people trying to capture reality.

I don't have that "touch" of vision/madness - but I do appreciate it in others when I see it.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

airfrogusmc
36,484 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 05, 2014 10:21 |  #10

As always taking the photograph is just the first part of a process that includes exposing, processing and then printing. They are all important and to fully express ones vision. They are all equally important. It's nothing new.

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 05, 2014 11:21 |  #11

I've seen some REALLY pretentious and snobby people on the internet, youtube etc where they have some weird standards for photos. Mainly it's about how much weird things you add to the photo with photoshop, or how you have to have a bunch of different external lights in your photo. They make it seem like you're not a good photographer if you don't "create" somethingā€¦.

I've seen much the same attitude among the self-declared purists.

People tend to measure others against their own standards as a method of elevating themselves.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,484 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 05, 2014 11:27 as a reply to  @ Tedder's post |  #12

"Somehow 'purists' have confused photography with some sort of a bizarre competition that comes with an undefined set of rules...." - Bill Frakes

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 05, 2014 11:37 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #13

20droger wrote in post #17194728 (external link)
And in some cases, maybe they shouldn't get out of bed. It'd make it loads easier on the rest of us.

My cohort and I are a photographic team. We are "purists." We do our best to get it right in camera so as to require as little post processing as possible. When we have a shot that requires no more than a little sharpening and conversion to JPEG, we feel we've done it right.

We shoot for fun, not profit. However, hundreds of our shots have been sold, so I guess we are "professionals" in that sense.

We like bugs, and seem to have a knack for finding new ones and/or capturing better images of old ones. We specialize in macro shots of insects and other small critters with a controlled depth of field encompassing the whole critter, but no much more. Many of our shots have been purchased by or donated to professional entomological organizations.

However, we never shoot with image sales in mind, and we never shoot on a for hire basis. We shoot for ourselves. If a shot turns out to be saleable, fine. If it doesn't, also fine. The joy is in the capture, not the sale.

And that is the key to avoid getting "burnt out"
Shoot for fun, for the thrill of the hunt (for new bugs, or a new frame of an old bug)
and if people buy the images, great, it pays for equipment, or fuel, or the time spent enjoying yourself.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 05, 2014 11:46 |  #14

Well, not with Photoshop because it didn't exist, however there were plenty of people making images by combining parts of several negatives onto one print in the darkroom. It was no different to today apart from requiring a LOT more skill, so it was less prevalent simply because it was less easy to do. People have been manipulating their images almost as long as photography has existed, it didn't start when Photoshop came along.

Personally, I tend to keep my images pretty straight but I have no problem with those who wish to create fantasy images from several shots. This is an artistic medium and it is the end result that matters, not how you got there and certainly not how realistic the end result is. There are many painters out there who produce work intended to portray the subject as it was, that doesn't make the likes of Dali or Picasso any less of an artist because they chose to produce work that was not accurate to reality. Why should photography, as a means of artistic expression, be any different? If somebody wants to be a purist and produce straight work, that is their choice. However, they should accept that other artistic views exist and there is nothing wrong, or "cheating", about producing work that involves considerable manipulation, if that is what somebody wants to do. That works both ways of course.

Obviously different standards apply to photojournalism, where altering the image is a big no-no.

airfrogusmc
36,484 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 05, 2014 11:47 |  #15

I shoot commercial/advertising to feed the family. That's the job. I shoot my personal work for me and that is the work that is just for me. But it is a process and i will use all the tools at my disposal to get my work to a finished point in both my professional work and my personal work.

sponsored links

3,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it okay to "just" be a photographer these days?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.