Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 07:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon officially announces the 7D Mark II

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 04, 2014 22:17 |  #1321

almeeker wrote in post #17194061 (external link)
Arthur Morris The renowned bird photographer is to receive and start using a 7DII Monday so we should know very soon the skinny on this camera. Although he is a Canon user and has strong ties with Canon he is very candid on his opinions of Canon and other mfg products. He will likely begin daily reports on his findings as early as Tuesday next week. You can follow him at www.birdsasart-blog.com (external link).

Here's his report on the 7D: http://www.birdsasart-blog.com …eos-7d-first-impressions/ (external link)

It'll be interesting to compare the two writeups.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

sponsored links
K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,711 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 05, 2014 08:51 |  #1322

DreDaze wrote in post #17193298 (external link)
I'm just asking why 5 years...couldn't they have released a camera with these specs a year ago...is there any new technology in the camera that doesn't already exist in another model currently?

The answer is obvious, no. Any company no matter how large has limited resources and needs to make decisions, on a global level as were to put resources and when. Non of us were in on those meetings. I have brought over 200 products to market over the years and it is never simple. Where wrong decisions made along the way, sure. But remember, Canon's schedule is not designed for you or a small group on this forum, it is designed to make money as a whole, not just in one niche product category and one niche product category does not make or break a large company like Canon.

This one skew is not a make or break product for Canon.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,032 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 05, 2014 09:38 |  #1323

K Soze wrote in post #17194687 (external link)
The answer is obvious, no. Any company no matter how large has limited resources and needs to make decisions, on a global level as were to put resources and when. Non of us were in on those meetings. I have brought over 200 products to market over the years and it is never simple. Where wrong decisions made along the way, sure. But remember, Canon's schedule is not designed for you or a small group on this forum, it is designed to make money as a whole, not just in one niche product category and one niche product category does not make or break a large company like Canon.

This one skew is not a make or break product for Canon.

my point is more that the technology that they are releasing in this camera existed in cameras a year ago...it's like if they introduced a 5DIV 4 years after the III...yet everything that is in the camera was available 3 years after...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 05, 2014 09:39 |  #1324

Welp, I did something I have never done before. I pre-ordered the 7D2 and grip. Hopefully Art's review will come sooner than later and if it's a dud, I can cancel.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,711 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 05, 2014 10:44 |  #1325

DreDaze wrote in post #17194756 (external link)
my point is more that the technology that they are releasing in this camera existed in cameras a year ago...it's like if they introduced a 5DIV 4 years after the III...yet everything that is in the camera was available 3 years after...

No it was not available in one camera.... until now.

The answer is they prioritized differently.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,032 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 05, 2014 10:55 |  #1326

K Soze wrote in post #17194844 (external link)
No it was not available in one camera.... until now.

The answer is they prioritized differently.

i never said it was available in one camera...but there's nothing in this camera that is new

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Apricane
934 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 05, 2014 10:56 |  #1327

DreDaze wrote in post #17194756 (external link)

Which is perfectly sensible, as I fully expect they will use the same (almost) APS-C sensor in more cameras due to R&D costs.

As for your hypothetical 5DIV, I don't see why they'd have any obligation to release a 5D4 three years after the previous model if they feel the 5D3 still has marketing potential i.e. more profits/return on the R&D investment. It just makes perfectly good sense.

Apricane Instagram (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link)
6D | 77D | TT685C & 430EX II & 270EX II
15-85 | ∑24-105A | 55-250 STM | 70-300L
24 STM | 35 f/2 IS | 40 STM | 100L
M6 | 22 | 18-55 | Adapter

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,711 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 05, 2014 11:00 |  #1328

DreDaze wrote in post #17194859 (external link)
i never said it was available in one camera...but there's nothing in this camera that is new

The available in one camera is what is new. It is a NEW design, making a complicated product from "old" technology is still very complicated, this is not like clicking legos together. BTW the software for such a product is always new no matter what.

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 05, 2014 11:21 as a reply to  @ K Soze's post |  #1329

CROP OR CRAP??????
http://dedpxl.com/crop​-or-crap-math-or-moment/ (external link)

Some of you might find this very informative.

convergent
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 05, 2014 13:55 |  #1330

DreDaze wrote in post #17194859 (external link)

Incorrect... anti-flicker is a new capability made possible by enhancements in the new 7D2 sensor. I don't believe its ever been available in any DSLR. As a camera aimed at prosumer sports and wildlife shooters, this is a valuable feature for shooting sports in poorly lit gym venues. This alone would save me hours and hours of processing time vs. any other DSLR.

In addition, part of this is a dramatic difference in technology/price point. The AF engine in this camera has never been available at this price point. Prior, you were spending $1,000+ more for it. So many people are reacting purely on ISO capabilities of the sensor of the 7D2 and not looking at the bigger picture. This AF engine is easily worth a $1,000 premium for anyone shooting sports. Your only other options to get it are the 1DX or 5D3, neither of which are crop bodies. So bringing this engine to a crop body probably required new technology.

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 05, 2014 15:45 |  #1331

Seems many on here take issue with "one" component of this 7D2 camera (and other cameras too) and forget it's the combination of components that work together in a way that improves the final image we produce.

As one less tech-trained than others, I really don't care how the image gets to it final stage - the print. It only matters that I understand the technology and settings enough to get it there. We can do the math, and peek at the pixels, and scrunch one minute mathematical difference between one component and another -- but the bottom line, those minutia differences are virtually undetectable in a print --

Well, now someone will jump in here and say, "Size of print matters". And I'll quickly agree, but will never attempt to create something that's not possible with the digital data either. Know what your equipment will do, don't stretch it beyond its boundaries, and the minutia will not matter as much.

Just because you can quantify it, doesn't mean you must. I've seen some pretty stunning images come out of a 30D with a 28-135 kit lens. Sometimes, it's the person behind the lens that makes more difference than the equipment itself -- so what if it can only be printed at 8x10, it still knocks your sox off when you see it.

Despite that, I'm still looking forward to the 7D2 arriving, but the reason is because of what it will do, not what it won't.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2014 17:14 as a reply to  @ monkey44's post |  #1332

Here's some images and video I came across from Canon of the 7DII

Time for Dissecting

http://web.canon.jp …ng/eosd/samples​/eos7dmk2/ (external link)

My Gear flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,747 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 05, 2014 18:00 |  #1333

butterfly2937 wrote in post #17194895 (external link)
CROP OR CRAP??????
http://dedpxl.com/crop​-or-crap-math-or-moment/ (external link)

Some of you might find this very informative.

Don't feel like going into detail, but the guy is full of it and sponsored by Fuji.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,186 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 05, 2014 18:37 |  #1334

Bianchi wrote in post #17195509 (external link)
Here's some images and video I came across from Canon of the 7DII

Time for Dissecting

http://web.canon.jp …ng/eosd/samples​/eos7dmk2/ (external link)

Something a tad wrong with your hyperlink.............​..I think you copied and pasted the wrong text ;) it 'says' as a link what you posted in your first sentence.

Edit ~ well theres odd. My quote of your link 'says' the right URL but your embedded one is wrong??? How does that happen and what has gone wrong with yours???

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

Geordie ­ Amanda
305 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 05, 2014 18:43 |  #1335

Box Brownie wrote in post #17195638 (external link)
Something a tad wrong with your hyperlink.............​..I think you copied and pasted the wrong text ;) it 'says' as a link what you posted in your first sentence.

Edit ~ well theres odd. My quote of your link 'says' the right URL but your embedded one is wrong??? How does that happen and what has gone wrong with yours???

:D You are not wrong. Do do do dooo (/insert Twighlight zone theme/)

Call me Amanda please :)

sponsored links

277,258 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon officially announces the 7D Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.