Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 07:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon officially announces the 7D Mark II

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 05, 2014 19:46 as a reply to  @ post 17195638 |  #1336

Here's the link he should have posted...

http://web.canon.jp/im​aging/eosd/samples/eos​7dmk2/ (external link)

However, I'm pretty sure these are old images.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

sponsored links
Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 05, 2014 21:40 |  #1337

It seems that some of the 1DX owners are pretty nervous about this body rivaling the top dog and they are hoping and wishing it poses no threat, especially at this price tag. FYI. It's not full frame, so stop worrying. Also, I don't know why it's continuing to be compared to FF bodies; it's 1.6 and will most likely exhibit 1.6 characteristics. If you are not interested in the body and happy with the 1DX, then stop trying to put it down; it's not for you, move on and let us 1.6ers bask for a moment. It is what it is - a body for us wildlifers.

So far it has garnered enough interest that I am no longer interested in the 1DX. Hopefully Art says it's the bomb.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,005 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2014 23:04 as a reply to  @ Methodical's post |  #1338

Box Brownie wrote in post #17195638 (external link)
Something a tad wrong with your hyperlink.............​..I think you copied and pasted the wrong text ;) it 'says' as a link what you posted in your first sentence.

Edit ~ well theres odd. My quote of your link 'says' the right URL but your embedded one is wrong??? How does that happen and what has gone wrong with yours???

Thanks guys,

I actually posted the link from the actual page first in the "Mini-Review: Initial 7D vs 7D2 Raw Comparison from Imaging Resource" thread, but then just copied it from there to here, instead of recopying the link.

I see mclaren777 had my back, and reposted correctly.

My Gear flickr (external link)

RedRobin
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 06, 2014 11:43 |  #1339

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17193059 (external link)
What excites you about the 7D2 over the 70D to do the preorder? I assume it is the AF feature set and weather sealing over the 70D that entices you as you are a wildlife shooter.

....Quite a few of the 7D2 features excite me enough to sell my beloved 70D (which I like a lot) and to pre-order. Not in any order of importance....

- 65 AF points instead of 19 and more fully spread.

- Lever actioned access to AF patterns as a one-step and without taking eye from viewfinder.

- Better matched with my 4 lenses, all of which are L. Especially my 400mm F/5.6L. I include my 1.4x extenders in this consideration.

- 10 fps instead of 7 fps.

- More durable construction and weatherproofing.

- Crop-body, hence maintaining lens reach.

- Second generation of 70D Dual-pixel sensor (it is NOT the same sensor as 70D).

- DoF preview button which is actually accessible and large enough to use (possibly the 70D's biggest fault for me).

- Faster shutter speed flash syncro.

- Easily accessed custom sets of camera settings.

I will miss the fully articulated screen of the 70D but not the touchscreen nor WiFi and I never ever shoot video.

I am familiar with the Canon EOS interface. I don't need to wait to check the 7D2's image quality - Even if it is exactly the same as the 70D, it's enough for my purposes as an amateur wildlife photographer. I have shot over 18,000 in 10 months though!

Examples of my pictures on my 70D.... https://www.flickr.com​/photos/114775606@N07/ (external link)

Oh, by the way, I'm 67yo and life is not a rehearsal, so why wait? I want to be naturally and fluidly familiar with the 7D2 by next Spring when the dragonfly flight season starts.

Amateur wildlife photographer, especially dragonflies.
Shooting on Canon 7D Mark II and 70D, 400mm F/5.6L, 300mm F/4L IS, 70-200mm F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro, 1.4x extenders by Canon and Kenko.

Geordie ­ Amanda
365 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 06, 2014 12:01 |  #1340

I wonder if the Camera Reviewers (Internet and magazine types) who are doing a full and thorough test of the 7DII, feel any extra pressure as they are working with a very long awaited and anticipated camera? Whoever puts their head above the parapet first will get enormous coverage, but also possibly, immense criticism if they say something that we (Canon 7DII prospective owners) don't want to hear. Just a thought, but I don't know if I would want to be in their shoes for this one :D

Call me Amanda please :)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002

Oct 06, 2014 12:06 |  #1341

RedRobin wrote in post #17196937 (external link)
....Quite a few of the 7D2 features excite me enough to sell my beloved 70D (which I like a lot) and to pre-order. Not in any order of importance....

- 65 AF points instead of 19 and more fully spread.

- Lever actioned access to AF patterns as a one-step and without taking eye from viewfinder.

- Better matched with my 4 lenses, all of which are L. Especially my 400mm F/5.6L. I include my 1.4x extenders in this consideration.

- 10 fps instead of 7 fps.

- More durable construction and weatherproofing.

- Crop-body, hence maintaining lens reach.

- Second generation of 70D Dual-pixel sensor (it is NOT the same sensor as 70D).

- DoF preview button which is actually accessible and large enough to use (possibly the 70D's biggest fault for me).

- Faster shutter speed flash syncro.

- Easily accessed custom sets of camera settings.

I will miss the fully articulated screen of the 70D but not the touchscreen nor WiFi and I never ever shoot video.

I am familiar with the Canon EOS interface. I don't need to wait to check the 7D2's image quality - Even if it is exactly the same as the 70D, it's enough for my purposes as an amateur wildlife photographer. I have shot over 18,000 in 10 months though!

Examples of my pictures on my 70D.... https://www.flickr.com​/photos/114775606@N07/ (external link)

Oh, by the way, I'm 67yo and life is not a rehearsal, so why wait? I want to be naturally and fluidly familiar with the 7D2 by next Spring when the dragonfly flight season starts.

I like how you think. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 06, 2014 12:20 |  #1342

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #17196975 (external link)
I wonder if the Camera Reviewers (Internet and magazine types) who are doing a full and thorough test of the 7DII, feel any extra pressure as they are working with a very long awaited and anticipated camera? Whoever puts their head above the parapet first will get enormous coverage, but also possibly, immense criticism if they say something that we (Canon 7DII prospective owners) don't want to hear. Just a thought, but I don't know if I would want to be in their shoes for this one :D

I do have to wonder. Many don't respond well to "don't shoot the messenger".
That said, there have to be so honest/trustworthy reviewers who will scrutinize it.

Kel
Gear

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002

Oct 06, 2014 12:21 |  #1343

As long as the review was honest with no hidden intent, I wouldn't care where I disagreed with someone. I would hope others would think the same way. As long as the person tried to do technically sound methods, and supplied the material that they used with their review, and they didn't seem to have hidden agendas, it would be a pretty good review. Unfortunately there is a part of the population that become total jerks once they are on the internet and their childish immature comments on a blog or a review usually gets the commentary function shut down.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Geordie ­ Amanda
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 06, 2014 13:08 |  #1344

My money is on the first big review saying that the camera is brilliant at everything except the sensor isn't the best for stills. Then we will be...............er exactly where we are now :D

Can't wait for the 7DIII to be announced. The 7DII has been quite a whodunit sort of ride (in my head that made so much sense :( )

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 06, 2014 13:11 |  #1345

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17197014 (external link)
As long as the review was honest with no hidden intent, I wouldn't care where I disagreed with someone.

I would only care if what is disagreed on is something objective in nature. If it's a subjective disagreement, then I'm right with you on this.

I would hope others would think the same way. As long as the person tried to do technically sound methods,

Well, it's important that they succeed in using technically sound methods, too. :lol:

and supplied the material that they used with their review, and they didn't seem to have hidden agendas, it would be a pretty good review.

Agreed, as long as they don't hold anything objective back. Failure to test something that can be crucial to the outcome is nearly as bad as being biased.

Unfortunately there is a part of the population that become total jerks once they are on the internet and their childish immature comments on a blog or a review usually gets the commentary function shut down.

Ain't that the truth...

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

Geordie ­ Amanda
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 06, 2014 13:15 |  #1346

I like reading reviews, but I think my main decision of whether to buy the 7DII or not, will probably be made when I see the pictures appear on here from early adopters and see the actual images that the camera can take in the hands of a decent photographer.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 06, 2014 13:23 |  #1347

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #17197102 (external link)
I like reading reviews, but I think my main decision of whether to buy the 7DII or not, will probably be made when I see the pictures appear on here from early adopters and see the actual images that the camera can take in the hands of a decent photographer.

If you're going to judge by the images, then it's likely you won't see a difference (that can be attributed to the camera) between shots taken with the 70D and shots taken with the 7D2. At anything but the highest ISOs, you probably won't really be able to see a difference between the 7D2 and the 7D, either.

Once you get to this level, the differences in the camera start to matter for how easy it is to get the shot, rather than how good the shot is. And since the 7D and 70D are already very, very good, the advantages of the 7D2 are likely to be limited, in the general case, to the most demanding of environments.

This means that if you really want to see what the differences are between the cameras, you're going to have to use them yourself, preferably in the most demanding environments you operate in.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Gallery: 306 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 06, 2014 13:25 |  #1348

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17196983 (external link)
I like how you think. :)

I agree. The only thing I care about now is that my new 7DII arrives before my Bosque trip in November. So far, that is not looking very likely. NB: I am upgrading from a 50D, so my situation is different from those with a 7D or a 70D. TeamSpeed, I want to thank you for your informative posts in this thread. :)

MIKEIVAN

lapino
502 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 06, 2014 13:36 |  #1349

Any more info available how the 7DII performs noise-wise compared to for example the 5D3? I'm asking because I sold my 5D3 but kinda regret it, and looking to get a new SLR (next to my mirrorless system). I have to admit I have always been incredibly happy with the 7D I had before I bought the 5D3. So the 7DII kinda tickles my interest. I know its drawbacks and of course it's not FF so less DOF with the same lenses, but cost-wise it makes quite a difference.

The 5D3+24-70/2.8 would cost me about € 4.400 (plus or minus my max budget). The same budget would buy me a 7DII (€ 1.699), 17-55/2.8 (which I loved - € 695), 135L (€ 888). This complete would be € 3.282 (not taking into account I could get some lenses 2nd hand). So I would spend € 1.200 less for a more 'complete' setup. With that money I could even add a 70-200/F4 or 70-300L.

Mind, I *do* need decent lowlight performance, I'm not an action photographer but I do tend to shoot my (and other) kids quite a lot and they hardly sit still too.

What do you guys think?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/23660915@N07/ (external link)
Gear: Fuji X-T2 / 18-55/2.8-4 / 23/1.4 / 56/1.2 / 55-200/ RX100M4

RedRobin
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 06, 2014 13:47 |  #1350

kcbrown wrote in post #17197115 (external link)
If you're going to judge by the images, then it's likely you won't see a difference (that can be attributed to the camera) between shots taken with the 70D and shots taken with the 7D2. At anything but the highest ISOs, you probably won't really be able to see a difference between the 7D2 and the 7D, either.

Once you get to this level, the differences in the camera start to matter for how easy it is to get the shot, rather than how good the shot is. And since the 7D and 70D are already very, very good, the advantages of the 7D2 are likely to be limited, in the general case, to the most demanding of environments.

This means that if you really want to see what the differences are between the cameras, you're going to have to use them yourself, preferably in the most demanding environments you operate in.

....I agree and don't expect that I will be able to look back at my photos a year later and say: This one was taken on my 7D2 and that one on my 70D.

However, I would add that cameras are tactile devices and how a camera feels and balances and how naturally fluid you become with it, is very important. As Ansell Adams said many decades ago:

"The camera takes the photo, but the photographer makes it" < And it's still true today.

Amateur wildlife photographer, especially dragonflies.
Shooting on Canon 7D Mark II and 70D, 400mm F/5.6L, 300mm F/4L IS, 70-200mm F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro, 1.4x extenders by Canon and Kenko.

sponsored links

286,567 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon officially announces the 7D Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.