Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Oct 2014 (Friday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon ST E3 RT - connectivity issue?

IrfanDDS
56 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 03, 2014 09:55 |  #1

Hey guys.. I have been using the 600 speedlites off camera for a while now and I used the on camera 600 to trigger the remote speedlites..

Recently purchased the ST E3 RT transmittor and using it on my Mark III. Took it out in the field ysterday and it doesn't seem to fire the flash consistently.. there are more misses than fires.. although the green sync light is on, the flash will fire probably 1 out of 5 times.. what I have also noticed is that if I point the camera to the directlion opposite of my subject, the flash fires consistently.. like WTF!? lol

I finally gave up as I was in the middle of an engagement shoot, so I reverted back by putting a 600 speedlite on body and using it as Master to fire the slave 600 and that works like a charm, as always..

Has anyone had this issue? is there something I am missing? any firmware upgrade etc?

Images by Irfan (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L | 135L | 70-200 2.8 IS II

sponsored links
drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 03, 2014 11:13 |  #2

I've had my ST-E3-RT and 600EX-RT for a couple of years now and haven't had a single misfire - indoors or outdoors.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

WillMass
643 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 03, 2014 20:39 |  #3

What kind of distances are we talking about? Also were the batteries in the transmitter fresh?

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/LiquidPixelsPhoto/ (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 03, 2014 21:28 as a reply to  @ WillMass's post |  #4

You arent shooting too quickly, before the flashes have recycled are you ?

I have only had issues with flashes not firing when batteries are flat, or i have something configured wrong (like the slave still in ettl from last time i used it on camera)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

IrfanDDS
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 04, 2014 01:06 |  #5

WillMass wrote in post #17192604 (external link)
What kind of distances are we talking about? Also were the batteries in the transmitter fresh?

Fresh eneloops in the transmitter and speedlites.

Distance was probably about 20 feet or less. This is not my first time with canon speedlite radio system. I'm very well versed with using speedlite as the master. Fir some reason, only have issues when using the transmitter. Is there anything on the camera that I need to change?

Also, my slave was set to group B.

The weird thing is that it syncs up, I see the green light on my transmitter and the speedlite. It just won't fire the slave. Even the test flash button on the transmitter doesn't seem to do much.

IrfanDDS
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 04, 2014 01:08 |  #6

Echo63 wrote in post #17192659 (external link)
You arent shooting too quickly, before the flashes have recycled are you ?

I have only had issues with flashes not firing when batteries are flat, or i have something configured wrong (like the slave still in ettl from last time i used it on camera)

Nope, single shots with like 10-15 seconds between them. Fresh eneloops too.

Rechecked all the settings including flash mode, channel, ID, group etc. Didn't help.

Will perform some elaborate testing in the morning and provide an update.

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 04, 2014 02:29 |  #7

IrfanDDS wrote in post #17192841 (external link)
Fresh eneloops in the transmitter and speedlites.

Distance was probably about 20 feet or less. This is not my first time with canon speedlite radio system. I'm very well versed with using speedlite as the master. Fir some reason, only have issues when using the transmitter. Is there anything on the camera that I need to change?

Also, my slave was set to group B.

The weird thing is that it syncs up, I see the green light on my transmitter and the speedlite. It just won't fire the slave. Even the test flash button on the transmitter doesn't seem to do much.

Is your issue limited to one wireless mode such as "ETTL" or "Manual"? Does this issue happen when your Slaves are active or after they have gone to sleep?

This sounds similar to an issue I have with both of my YN-E3-RTs but I have never had any issues with either of my ST-E3-RTs. With my YN-E3-RTs the issue seems to be mostly limited to when shooting in ETTL wireless mode and only after the Slaves have gone to sleep. When my YN-E3-RTs lock up I have a green confirmation light but they will not wake and fire any of the Slaves. A quick "Off" then "On" of the power switch rectifies the problem but so far it has never been an issue as long as the Slaves do not go sleep.

Rand

Gear

Nick5
Goldmember
3,096 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 05, 2014 08:34 |  #8

Irfan.
A few times with ST-E3 on camera, I had a few mishaps. I basically removed the transmitter, wiped down the contacts on the transmitter and camera hot shoe, and a reseated. Contact. However you scenario is different. Have you contact Canon about your contact problem?

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 06, 2014 20:06 |  #9

Once the green link is on dont think I have ever had a misfire.mits pire joy after the optical system.
Think you have a faulty controller send it back for replacement.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Ontario55
67 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 06, 2014 20:45 |  #10

Mine has worked flawlessly, you could just have a bad one

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Oct 07, 2014 02:37 as a reply to  @ Ontario55's post |  #11

Last friday I did a similar outdoor shooting with some 250 flashes. The only misfires were due to recharging. It happened about 15 times.
I was demanding mutch from the 600, bright sunlight (F/10 for apparture) and large distances.
Recharging for 10 secs was to be expected, but sometimes we want to take moments without the strobe beeing ready.

I mostly use rechargeable batteries and only had to change them once during the shoot.

The week before I did some indoor shots and for 10 continuus shots the system kept going flawlessly (short distances and at F/4).

Good shooting!

Greetings, Alain

dhog6s
53 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 07, 2014 08:59 |  #12

send it to Canon and get it cheked. I got mine last year and no issues as of yet.

sponsored links

2,052 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon ST E3 RT - connectivity issue?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.