Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Oct 2014 (Monday) 07:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another tripod advice!

ponch10
70 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 06, 2014 07:38 |  #1

All,
I am in the market for a travel tripod. Of course it has to be light, but what is more important is the the size when folded. Budget is around $200, and this will be my first tripod.

I went through the forum already and MeFoto seems to be a good option and I am wondering:

- Roadtrip or Globetrotter for my gear ? They seem to be both great, and would both fit in a hand luggage (16" folded)
- will the fifth leg element affect stability (I can see people debating about 3 and 4 legs, never 5)
- other new products worth looking at?

I am 5'11, and I have a 5D classic, 16-34 F4 IS, 70-200 F4 IS, Canon 50mm 1.4. I am an amateur and I do mainly "travel" photography, at least for now.
I believe my set up is pretty light but I would love to hear some more experts' opinions about this.

Thanks!

sponsored links
atexasphotog
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 06, 2014 14:11 |  #2

I just got a MeFoto Globetrotter and I'll give you some feed back after using it. It is pretty compact and heavier than I expected upon first hefting it. Nice feel to it though.

Canon 6D,T3i, Powershot G16| 50mm 1.8II|100-400mm F4.5-5.6L|24-105 IS F/4 L||16-35mm F/2.8 vIIL|lCanon 1.4x mkII TC|580 EXII |Keeping it all in a KATA Backpack
http://texasphotog.dev​iantart.com/ (external link)

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 06, 2014 18:37 |  #3

please be cautious when trying to pick a tripod on the net!its one of the hardest things i ever did,and theres nothing like holding one in your hands before one buys! i just though i would put that out there, i got lucky when i got a induro CT014 but next time i'' try to buy a tripod locally .

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

mailhot
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 06, 2014 18:56 |  #4

MePhoto Roadtrip...love it!

The Love you make is equal to the love you take
The Beatles (The End...Abbey Road 1969) bw!

ponch10
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 07, 2014 05:38 |  #5

Thanks guys, I am looking forward to some feedback.
I watched some videos and the roadtrip and the globetrotter seem to be up for the task.
Also, I am realizing that there is not much offer in terms of very compact tripods, i.e. less than 50cm folded. Is there?

dfdpiper
249 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2010
Location: Geographically I'm in Southern NH, but spiritually & creatively I'm still wandering.

Oct 07, 2014 06:36 as a reply to  @ ponch10's post |  #6

FWIW, I love my Manfrotto 190XPROB for stuff around the house, but my MeFoto RoadTrip is awesome for lugging around with me in the field or traveling. I leave it in the trunk of my car so it's always handy, no matter where I am. This way, I can grab my bag & go and the tripod is always there. Fits very nicely in my luggage when flying as well and is very stable.

The only thing I wish it had (and this is minor) were flip locks instead of twist locks on the leg sections. Just my personal preference - it has nothing to do with its functionality.

Bob
If it isn't fun, why bother?
flickr (external link) http://www.bobpragoff.​com (external link)

ponch10
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 07, 2014 10:15 |  #7

Thanks piper.

Also, what do you guys think of the Manfrotto Befree?

As it is, I am leaning towards the MeFoto Globetrotter, however it feels like overkill perhaps and the Roadtrip would be enough?
I am not sure how much should I trust the specs of the manufacturer, you know :)

yslee
34 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 07, 2014 12:19 |  #8

All these tripods are too light for your camera and lenses (especially with the 70-200/4).

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 07, 2014 13:49 |  #9

you can get the mefotos with 4 sections instead of 5. the folded length is a little longer, but you get the added stability.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

ponch10
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 08, 2014 08:58 |  #10

yslee wrote in post #17199270 (external link)
All these tripods are too light for your camera and lenses (especially with the 70-200/4).

How do you mean especially? The 70-200 is 760g versus the 615g of the 16-35, paired with the camera won't pass the 2kg (1.9lb) mark.

Nick5
Goldmember
3,100 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 08, 2014 09:43 |  #11

Ponch.
Like you, I was in the market for a sturdy, compact, light weight tripod for traveling oversees.
Something I can put in the suitcase and not suck up valuable weight.
While at my local shop looking for something else, I noticed they had the MeFoto brand on display.
Went back to the car to grab my camera bag and proceeded to set up the Gobetrotter Carbon Fibre.
Grabbed the Mark III gripped with 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II attached. Set up the Carbon Fibre Gobetrotter and put it through the test.
SOLD!
Several nights in Paris and this MeFoto Globetrotter will be traveling with me everywhere.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

ponch10
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 08, 2014 10:54 |  #12

Nick5 wrote in post #17201335 (external link)
Ponch.
Like you, I was in the market for a sturdy, compact, light weight tripod for traveling oversees.
Something I can put in the suitcase and not suck up valuable weight.
While at my local shop looking for something else, I noticed they had the MeFoto brand on display.
Went back to the car to grab my camera bag and proceeded to set up the Gobetrotter Carbon Fibre.
Grabbed the Mark III gripped with 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II attached. Set up the Carbon Fibre Gobetrotter and put it through the test.
SOLD!
Several nights in Paris and this MeFoto Globetrotter will be traveling with me everywhere.

Wow thanks! That pretty much sounds like my story :)

Another thing I am wondering is: how bad the wind will affect a long exposure photography on a travel tripod?

Obviously with 50 mph wind I am not expecting miracles (and I won't be out shooting either). But moderate breeze, that you can find on the beach for example, will it make noticeable difference?

I guess if we don't fully extend legs and column and decide to shoot from pretty down below, wind shouldn't really make a difference, right?

ponch10
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 08, 2014 11:51 |  #13

here they sound pretty pumped about the globetrotter:

http://www.dpreview.co​m …bon-fiber-kits-reviewed/7 (external link)

yslee
34 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 13, 2014 11:34 |  #14

When you find the image in your viewfinder swimming you'll understand. Support weight =! stable weight.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,083 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 13, 2014 18:46 |  #15

Two friends of mine have one each of these:
http://www.globaltechc​ommerce.co.uk/feisoluk​/9-tournament (external link)
I prefer the 3 leg section version but both are very good, small and light. I have used the 3342 with a Canon 300 F2.8 + 1DX and was quite happy with it.
True these are not as good as Gitzo tripods but they are much cheaper, well made, fold up very small and do a very good job!
I wouldn't go for anything cheaper.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

2,631 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another tripod advice!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.