Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Oct 2014 (Saturday) 01:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How NOT to do wedding photography

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 06, 2014 12:25 |  #31

lapino wrote in post #17196466 (external link)
I was so kind as to assure her not to be worried and wait for the pictures, but at the same time felt and saw enough to know beforehand that things won't be that amazing as my relative is expecting it to be.

i was in my friends wedding last year and they hired a photographer who looked to me as if he was doing a great job. turns out i was wrong, the pics came out like crap and the bride and groom were pissed.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

sponsored links
HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 06, 2014 18:37 |  #32

It is so easy to criticize but there are many ways to equip a business. Just like what one person thinks is a good photo can be very different than what another person thinks as good.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 07, 2014 08:54 |  #33

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17197745 (external link)
It is so easy to criticize but there are many ways to equip a business. Just like what one person thinks is a good photo can be very different than what another person thinks as good.

exactly.

i know of a photographer i think does not very good work but they are consistently booked. its all about knowing how to run a business and good for them for getting a lot of work.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 07, 2014 17:25 |  #34

I feel bad for the OP's relative, hopefully there are at least a few decent images out of the bunch.

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 07, 2014 17:31 |  #35

It shouldn't be any worst than some wedding pictures I've seen in the 80's :) and I still see people treasure those.

Sometime it's the content that are more valuable.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 07, 2014 18:23 |  #36

sonnyc wrote in post #17200001 (external link)
It shouldn't be any worst than some wedding pictures I've seen in the 80's :) and I still see people treasure those.

Sometime it's the content that are more valuable.

Yep. Many in my family are very happy with the iPhone pics to save memories whether blurry, focused at infinity, or over exposed.

shanehawley
89 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Oct 09, 2014 07:46 |  #37

I remember my first wedding

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 09, 2014 08:26 |  #38

shanehawley wrote in post #17203172 (external link)
I remember my first wedding

Ah, but do you remember your 500th?

shanehawley
89 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Oct 09, 2014 09:01 |  #39

20droger wrote in post #17203235 (external link)
Ah, but do you remember your 500th?

haha ive never actually done a wedding, but i am assuming everyone has a shaky first experience, its gotta be very stressful i would imagine

but i do get what you are saying though

jmweb
520 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 09, 2014 10:20 |  #40

lapino wrote in post #17192891 (external link)
Being a wedding photographer for several years, I was really stunned last night when I had to go to a wedding of a relative and they hired a 'photographer' to do their wedding. The woman really had no idea what she was doing, photographing the party and indoor stuff with a budget slr with kitlens and using the onboard head-on flash for almost all the shots. I can't imagine how bad they must look. If I would've had my material in the car, I would have gotten it and explained her this is NOT the way do these kind of events. No backup either, no primes..frankly no idea what she was doing. And when I heard the amount of money she's being paid...wow.

So they musta asked you who to get for their wedding? I can appreciate the turning down friends/family weddings but usually when you turn them down they ask for suggestions?

Or is this a case of you get what you pay for?

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 09, 2014 13:19 as a reply to  @ jmweb's post |  #41

A free wedding photographer is worth every cent! So kwitchurbichen.

People who opt for a free or deep discount wedding photographer and then complain that the results weren't the same as the top-end photographer's are like people who buy a used Yugo and then complain that it doesn't perform like a Bentley.

I do not waste my sympathies on such people. Like the man says, you get what you pay for.

sponsored links

5,966 views & 0 likes for this thread
How NOT to do wedding photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.