Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 08:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scott Kelby's take on 7D mark II after real world use

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 08, 2014 07:21 |  #46

These are OOC JPGs with no care about picture style or any post processing, results will be better when not done through a video showing onscreen images.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
davebreal
894 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 08, 2014 07:23 |  #47

Video is an obvious sales pitch used to reel consumers in. Showing 100% crops of shadow noise vs 5D3 7D 70D 1DX and comparable Nikons and Sony's would remove the subjectivity of his review. A consumer's photos will rarely be comparable to those of a professional photographer who is also a marketing-whiz.

I'm sure it's a good camera, but I'd like to see a less biased review.

Dave
flickr  (external link)Twitter  (external link)Wordpress Blog (external link) YouTube (external link)
My Gear--> Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 08, 2014 07:29 |  #48

We already have done some initial raw comparisons (there are raw files popping up now), there is no need to compare to the 5D3 or 1DX, the 7D2 doesn't compete there. Scott has it right. The 70D (or 7D) is the more budget friendly all around crop body for those that aren't specific with what they shoot, but the enthusiast passionate about sports and wildlife should look at the 7D2, in addition to those pros with a 1D already for sports. They should look at the 7D2 as an alternative to adding a 1.4x to their lenses.

Pros already carry around the 7D as a backup, I have seen Getty and Sports Illustrated shooters periodically pull out a 7D for some of the action at different games, and on the sports forums, they talk about it. They don't necessarily always care about all the guff about noise, they take all the shots and leave that work for others to sift through. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,327 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 08, 2014 07:38 |  #49

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #17200587 (external link)
5D3 is a decent sports camera. I missed on the FPS and the buffer sucks and the SD card slot sucks, but the focus is almost as good as you will get with Canon. I shot an entire season of MLB/NFL/NBA/NCAAF with it and it was pretty successful. Got me an ESPN Magazine cover.

Tom, where you using a 1000 Lexar, heard reports using it will give you a better buffer rate

My Gear flickr (external link)

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 08, 2014 07:41 |  #50

The best review is the one you do yourself. I think it's the only way you'll ever find out if a camera/lens is going to suit what you do and how you do it. There's a lot of hype out there for the 7D2 and quite right, but, they say that once you go 1D, there no going back and that's certainly how I feel after switching out to the 5D3. My clients love the image quality I'm pushing out now, but personally I need more speed so the only direction I feel I need to go is the 1Dx route.

Maybe Teamspeed can verify if it's actually worth going through the hassle of switching a 5D3 to a 1DIV, but it just looks like a financial mess if it doesn't look worthy of doing, just to get more speed for a step back in IQ.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 08, 2014 08:02 |  #51

I won't switch, I will add it. I need a backup for this NBA season starting here pretty soon, and I don't want the SL1 to be that backup. I will either get a 7D again, or the 7D2, there are no other options for me. The 1D3 is too limiting resolution wise, and the 1D4 is outside what I want to spend currently. Once the 1D4 gets into the $1800-2000 price range, then I will add that back to the stables.

The 7D worked well the last couple years I used it, so I know based on all the videos from folks that make alot more from photography than me, from one way or another, that the 7D2 will be that much better across the board. It will be a tiny bit sharper, it will handle ISO a bit better, OOC JPGs will be much better should I decide to use them, AF is better and more versatile, auto ISO with manual EC, f8 focusing, low light AF as good as the 6D, etc. It's a no brainer to add the 7D2 to the 5D3 for sports work, and even weddings, etc.

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 08, 2014 08:04 |  #52

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17201136 (external link)
I won't switch, I will add it. I need a backup for this NBA season starting here pretty soon, and I don't want the SL1 to be that backup. I will either get a 7D again, or the 7D2, there are no other options for me. The 1D3 is too limiting resolution wise, and the 1D4 is outside what I want to spend currently. Once the 1D4 gets into the $1800-2000 price range, then I will add that back to the stables.

You sound like you're in the exact same boat as me. I don't want to get rid of the 5D3 as it's perfect for everything else, The 1DIV is still too expensive and the 1D3 is too limiting for cropping into soccer shots with a 70-200. It's a tough one.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 08, 2014 08:06 |  #53

Paulstw wrote in post #17201138 (external link)
You sound like you're in the exact same boat as me. I don't want to get rid of the 5D3 as it's perfect for everything else, The 1DIV is still too expensive and the 1D3 is too limiting for cropping into soccer shots with a 70-200. It's a tough one.

Sure sounds like it. :)

I won't get rid of the 5D3 until either the 5D4 or I can afford the 1DX. I never got into FF before because I didn't 1) have the reach with lenses, and 2) didn't like the price tag of the 1D FF bodies and 3) the AF on the 5D line was useless for what I shot. The 5D3 fixed that for me, and I took care of the reach issue myself.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 08, 2014 08:18 |  #54

Bianchi wrote in post #17201091 (external link)
Tom, where you using a 1000 Lexar, heard reports using it will give you a better buffer rate

I do. I have ten 32GIG 1000X LEXAR cards. However, the SD slot is crippled in the 5D3 and it doesn't matter how fast your cards are, it can only write 20MBs, which is a little less than one file per second. Beyond pathetic that Canon ****ed that up.

I find it really funny all the people that say image quality doesn't matter. That's pretty much the single most important part of a camera. If this camera had great IQ, the same people would probably be pumping sunshine about how great the IQ was and how important that was. The final product is the most important thing.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

lapino
521 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 08, 2014 08:22 |  #55

Is it realistic to expect Canon to release a 5DIV within the next 6 months?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/23660915@N07/ (external link)
Gear:
Fuji X-T3 / 18-55 / 23-1.4 / 35-2 / 55-200 / RX100M4
Sony A7III / Tamron 28-75 / 55-1.8

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,484 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 08, 2014 08:25 |  #56

lapino wrote in post #17201166 (external link)

I'd guess at least another year... but you never know.

Neat Canon product cycle graph here on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.or​g …Canon_EOS_digit​al_cameras (external link)

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 08, 2014 08:45 |  #57

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #17201158 (external link)
I find it really funny all the people that say image quality doesn't matter. That's pretty much the single most important part of a camera. If this camera had great IQ, the same people would probably be pumping sunshine about how great the IQ was and how important that was. The final product is the most important thing.

Nobody is saying IQ doesn't matter. IQ at the pixel level for 20 million pixels is a different story. We all know that looking at 100% at such resolutions is like taking a very large print, and walking up to it, sticking your now within a few inches and declaring the print as crap.

Almost NO ONE sees the image at that resolution except the photographer, other forum members that like to point out deficiencies of others, and contest or publication departments accepting your work, and even in those cases, they aren't as strict as some of the folks on the forum. The only other time is when you print extremely large, and you have people walking up within inches trying to see a person sunning on a rooftop on a landscape print. These cases most likely aren't the majority here on the boards.

For example, an ESPN cover photo can be taken with an 8mpx camera, it's been done. Take a 20mpx image and resize it down, and viola, you have an ESPN cover photo, from what seems to be a crappy 100% pixel peeping noise mess. ;)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,616 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 08, 2014 09:07 |  #58

lapino wrote in post #17201166 (external link)

Yes, that is realistic. At the very least I want to see an announcement sometime in 2015, which could be beyond your 6 months. But, within the next 6 months is not an unrealistic possibility.

And I wonder how the 7D II might inform the 5D IV. The 7D informed the 5D III in some ways.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 08, 2014 09:12 |  #59

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17201206 (external link)
Nobody is saying IQ doesn't matter. IQ at the pixel level for 20 million pixels is a different story. We all know that looking at 100% at such resolutions is like taking a very large print, and walking up to it, sticking your now within a few inches and declaring the print as crap.

Almost NO ONE sees the image at that resolution except the photographer, other forum members that like to point out deficiencies of others, and contest or publication departments accepting your work, and even in those cases, they aren't as strict as some of the folks on the forum. The only other time is when you print extremely large, and you have people walking up within inches trying to see a person sunning on a rooftop on a landscape print. These cases most likely aren't the majority here on the boards.

For example, an ESPN cover photo can be taken with an 8mpx camera, it's been done. Take a 20mpx image and resize it down, and viola, you have an ESPN cover photo, from what seems to be a crappy 100% pixel peeping noise mess. ;)

Learn how to sell bigger prints. It is worth it. :)

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 08, 2014 09:14 |  #60

David Arbogast wrote in post #17201258 (external link)
And I wonder how the 7D II might inform the 5D IV. The 7D informed the 5D III in some ways.

Ha, I learned a new use for the word inform, thank you! Knowing how concise your posts are, I knew that I needed to look up the meanings of inform. :)

sponsored links

60,704 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scott Kelby's take on 7D mark II after real world use
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.