Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 12:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Its Sad...

RMH
998 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 07, 2014 16:40 |  #31

As Luckless quite correctly says, it's about capturing a memory, not making a piece of art

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

sponsored links
phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 07, 2014 16:54 |  #32

LOL, I could use all my gear at my kid's parties and those they go to, I mostly use either a p&s or my phone or both. Why? it's always in my pocket, I'm not gonna wade through 20 kids with sticky fingers with my big cameras dangling off my side. I just capture a couple memories, playtime, bouncy house (video), blowing out candles and opening presents, etc. Perfectly happy with the nice photos the limited gear gives me and I capture the kids in action instead of all of them staring at my 'big' camera.

works for years for me :-)

Now, a real event like graduation etc I shoot with the 'real' camera, I just don't consider a b'day party all that special and prefer to enjoy myself mingling. And I have to deal with food and drink, spills, sticky things. scrapes, etc. Easy with gear in pocket.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 07, 2014 17:39 |  #33

katekev04 wrote in post #17199234 (external link)
Has anyone else noticed this?

All the time, and everywhere.

hes gone wrote in post #17199317 (external link)
=he's gone;17199317]it was sad when people used 110 or Kodak Disc cameras too.

My mom used a Kodak Disk camera. It was painful.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 07, 2014 18:27 |  #34

The camera you have on you is the best camera to use. Have your phone on you all the time vs. The P&S OR DSLR CAMERA in its case in the car or at home won't do you any good.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 07, 2014 18:42 |  #35

... many / most lay people just one some pictures. They could care less about "photography."

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,537 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 08, 2014 03:10 |  #36

katekev04 wrote in post #17199345 (external link)
I agree. I find the parents with more than two children are using phones probably because they are dead tired, lol.

I have three boys - 4,6 & 8... still use the 1D3 though!

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

jc1350
157 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 08, 2014 09:02 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #37

hes gone wrote in post #17199317 (external link)
=he's gone;17199317]it was sad when people used 110 or Kodak Disc cameras too.

Oh wait, no it wasn't. Pics were made, memories were preserved for the next generation, life went on.

My first camera was a Kodak Disc 4000. I loved that thing - but I was 12; what did I know?

--
John

RMH
998 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 08, 2014 09:51 |  #38

My first camera had 110 film. 2x as not quite so bad! :D

My first camera:

IMAGE: http://apphotnum.free.fr/images/kodak20.jpg
:D

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 08, 2014 10:12 |  #39

My first camera (which was discarded a long time ago unfortunately) was a Kodak Brownie Holiday Flash (external link). It used 127 roll film. I recall pulling the first roll out and stretching it out to see the images I had just made. My parents still had the roll processed so I could see the results - all solid black negatives, of course. That was a lesson that was never forgotten. I think I was 7 or possibly 8 years old at the time.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 08, 2014 11:10 |  #40

Q? "What do they do with photos?" Reminds me --

I was team photo guy for college baseball for ten years -- shot team photos, yearbook, action etc -- we had a lot of MLB players come back for reunions, fundraisers, etc. So, sometimes the "alumni' or the BOD would grab me (as if I were their individual pawn) and ask me to shoot them with this "famous athlete" ... (well, yes, a for real famous athlete). Anyway, so, I'd shoot a couple shaking hands or arms on shoulder, big smiles ... yadda yadda yadda

At least 50-60% of the time, that BOD person never came back ... forgot, didn't care, wanted only the importance of the moment, standing with a celebrity athlete. Some did, and wanted an 8x10 print made, no offer of pay -- BOD too important for that kind of trivia, like costs.

After while, it got to be a hassle -- shooting, processing, print / or CD, whatever. So, then I got a brainstorm ... each time one of the 'freebies pawn-users" asked, I handed him/her a card, and on it said "Promo-shot w/ team alumni - $15 each - funds donated to the team for field support and gear replacement" ... Suddenly, the BOD and others 'grab & grins" stopped asking .... great idea, that fundraising.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 08, 2014 12:06 |  #41

katekev04 wrote in post #17199234 (external link)
My oldest daughter is 4 years old and she gets invited to many birthday parties throughout the year. So far I have not seen one person use a regular camera, even the parents are shooting with cell phones. Has anyone else noticed this?

it's not sad, just today's reality. the easiest photo is from the camera you always carry everywhere

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 08, 2014 12:59 |  #42

My first not disposable camera was a Kodak 110 Tele-instamatic like the poster above. I still have many of the photos I took with it in an album. It went everywhere with me and I used up a lot of 110 film with it. The photos do their job, they were memories not art. They are all printed 3x5 and look just fine. I feel much the same way about my iphone camera.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,473 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 08, 2014 13:12 |  #43

katekev04 wrote in post #17199332 (external link)
I should...and when I get into that Fantasy/Cosplay/Dungeo​n And Dragons cool people crowd I'll call you!

Don't forget burlesque girls (and guys), I shoot those too ;)

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,982 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 08, 2014 17:23 |  #44

I'm not sure why this is sad or, as many have pointed out, it's any different from someone using a Kodak 110 a million years ago.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 08, 2014 17:35 |  #45

Personally I find it sad that you and others think it is sad.

Peter

sponsored links

6,644 views & 0 likes for this thread
Its Sad...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.