Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 07 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 00:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A group shot gone wrong :( Help?

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,779 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 08, 2014 05:18 |  #31

I'm sorry to not be responding, in putting an SSD into my computer and my files have been copying for over a day now (made a few backups) I will be back online later today given there are no errors on the drive

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,853 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 08, 2014 12:00 |  #32

xarik wrote in post #17198301 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

i think it's nice that you folks are trying to fix the distortion in this image, and frankly I'm impressed that a couple have come so close.

But the fact remains that distortion is just the beginning of what is wrong here. You have a front row that half look dressed in black and half look dressed in blue. The leader, i guess, on the right is facing out of the frame and does not seem to be looking at the camera. Everyone at the front row seems to be trying to be at the same angle, but isn't even close.

Behind the front row is a sea of heads with no bodies. Many of them partially hidden by other bodiless heads. The location is no good either.

you need
- to admit you messed up, and yes, maybe do the reshoot for free
- to get the camera up much higher, or the subjects lower.
- a bigger space
- a longer lens
- a remote shutter release. I often don't even look through the lens after setting the camera up for these kinds of shots.
- to plan to take ten or more pics while cracking the whip on the subjects to stay put in between shots
- to scout other areas and note the time the sun is in a good position for each place

you probably want:
- open shade
- additional lighting for fill, two speed lights balanced for the same output will be fine, but they MUST be above the camera position.
- someone else who can listen to you directing the people and make sure they don't move once directed to stay in one position

give it another shot, if not for them, for yourself. I'm sure you'll do better.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 08, 2014 12:33 |  #33

There is something strange about the distortion ... that I like! I think you've created a new style. The people seem paper like.
:-)

Be honest with them and reschedule ...

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 08, 2014 17:14 |  #34

Tilt shift and portraits probably font mix. There. Use isn't anything extra left or right to crop out after distortion correction. As others have said looking up at a group is a no - no for a portrait.

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 08, 2014 18:43 |  #35

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17198633 (external link)
Hum no ... not at all !
Look at his signature ;)
Anyway he know now ;)

hmmm just took a look thru the tilt shift lens area of this forum and didn't see any portraits,lots of landscapes and buildings and dof flowers,which again leads me to believe a tilt shift isn't a great portrait lens.

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 08, 2014 22:59 |  #36

genesimmons wrote in post #17202349 (external link)
hmmm just took a look thru the tilt shift lens area of this forum and didn't see any portraits,lots of landscapes and buildings and dof flowers,which again leads me to believe a tilt shift isn't a great portrait lens.

It was not my meaning at all ...
my meaning was an EF-S lens does not work on FF camera, so when you said > "a canon 10-18 stm would have done a nice job for this shoot."
I said "no ... not at all" because in his signature there is only FF cameras ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 09, 2014 10:11 |  #37

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17202729 (external link)
It was not my meaning at all ...
my meaning was an EF-S lens does not work on FF camera, so when you said > "a canon 10-18 stm would have done a nice job for this shoot."
I said "no ... not at all" because in his signature there is only FF cameras ;)

ya i seen the ff only after i posted,sorry bout that,i have heard of guys getting the 10-18stm to work on ff but i think they loose a bit on the wide end,they actually cut the mount,eeeeek haha,on a side note i found a deal on a samyang f3.5t/s for lighting sale price,i took a chance and grabbed one,should be here next week,whoohoo.

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 09, 2014 15:30 |  #38

If you understand your failures, you wouldn't have taken this bad of a shot in the first place, nor would you think there was any possible fix for it.

Don't lie about things. Reshoot or refund them.

Gear List

cameragal1
313 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 09, 2014 18:00 |  #39

^^^^^Wow, how do you learn if you do not try? I once worked with a photographer that shot some photos with a wide angle - it was hard to tell how much distortion there was in the view finder.

I actually think that if he had NO other choice - some of the fixes weren't that bad.

Diane

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 09, 2014 20:05 as a reply to  @ cameragal1's post |  #40

i think the point most people are trying to make is the op is obviously skilled enough to be getting paid for this type of work and has great gear and should have not made such large mistakes,lens choice etc,sure mistakes happen but thats the great thing about digital,take lots of photos and if your unsure take some more,use different lenses and different angles,people are paying for a good memory take lots,use the best and delete the rest

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 10, 2014 00:05 |  #41

I actually think that the photographic errors made (and they're big) are less significant than the interpersonal / communicative / meta mistakes made. When you take money for work you really have to be able to assess how things are going (this includes just looking at the scene but also looking at the resultant photos) and to be able to, on the spot, address things if they are going wrong. At the time it's obviously more expedient to carry on as if things are ok; it's annoying to have to tell your subjects (especially if there are dozens !) that you're going to have to change things up a little. But this is what you had to do.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 10, 2014 11:35 |  #42

cameragal1 wrote in post #17204114 (external link)
^^^^^Wow, how do you learn if you do not try? I once worked with a photographer that shot some photos with a wide angle - it was hard to tell how much distortion there was in the view finder.

I actually think that if he had NO other choice - some of the fixes weren't that bad.

Diane

You don't experiment with paying clients. Do your learning before that.

All of the fixes were horrible.

Gear List

Andrew ­ Moline
24 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 10, 2014 11:50 |  #43

Numenorean wrote in post #17205265 (external link)
You don't experiment with paying clients. Do your learning before that.

All of the fixes were horrible.

Least we gave it a shot with the fixes. ;)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 10, 2014 11:57 |  #44

Andrew Moline wrote in post #17205296 (external link)
Least we gave it a shot with the fixes. ;)

Really no point in trying. It's obvious it can't be fixed.

Gear List

DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Oct 10, 2014 15:16 |  #45

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #17204591 (external link)
I actually think that the photographic errors made (and they're big) are less significant than the interpersonal / communicative / meta mistakes made.

Agreed. A bad photograph is just something that happens every once in a while. That is, a shoot that for some reason doesn't go right; the lighting is messed up, composition isn't working, model isn't feeling to good or you are having a bad day.

The trick is to recognize these things as they take place and try to solve them asap. For me, it helps to allow more time for a photoshoot - generally half a day - and get to know the model a little.

As I gather from the first post, this was a shoot where the lighting was good for a *very* short time. With a group this big and a location this challenging, the cards are not stacked in your favor. For anyone interested, I would advise to scout the location before hand and work out where everyone is going to go and what the lighting is like, when the lighting is good and how to set up the camera. Bring a stand-in model too, to find out if your framing is correct and what any distortion is like.

In general, if you have a tiny window of time to shoot, you'll want the camera set-up and ready. At that point you will only have to worry about focus (well, camera does that largely), posing the models and waiting for the perfect light.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

sponsored links

8,780 views & 0 likes for this thread
A group shot gone wrong :( Help?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.