Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 07:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it still a photograph if you.....

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2014 20:52 as a reply to  @ post 17203360 |  #31

I hope that when Pekka puts the new system into place it includes an option to block messages that refer to Ansel Adams dodging and burning in the darkroom. I've reached the saturation point on that observation.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,485 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 09, 2014 20:56 |  #32

Burning and dodging with Adams was just tweaking when it got that point. He articulated a system that controlled the entire process to give him what he saw in his mind and was rarely the way anything looked in reality. That system was the zone system and was a full manipulation of the process to give the photographer total control over his vision.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,518 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 09, 2014 21:19 |  #33

Tedder wrote in post #17204367 (external link)
I hope that when Pekka puts the new system into place it includes an option to block messages that refer to Ansel Adams dodging and burning in the darkroom. I've reached the saturation point on that observation.

I am absolutely sick of hearing about that, too. No need to remind people of it every single time this topic comes up!

As far as the OP's question is concerned, in my opinion his image is certainly still a photograph, but it is now also more than a photograph.

The way I see it / define it, his image is now a combination of a photograph and graphic art. I see it this way because he has used two disciplines in order to create it - the disciplines of photography and that of computer manipulation. That doesn't make it not a photo any more. And I realize that others may define things differently.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,405 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 09, 2014 21:28 |  #34

Merriam-Webster defines "Photograph" as "a picture or likeness obtained by photography".

They also define "Photography" as: "the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (as film or an optical sensor)."

So, technically, what you have done is created a photograph when you recorded the original image in your camera. Altering it afterwards, as you have described, tells me that you are also a skilled graphic artist.

Clear as mud?

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

airfrogusmc
36,485 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 09, 2014 21:36 |  #35

So what is Uelsmann?

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,503 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 09, 2014 21:38 |  #36

Tedder wrote in post #17204367 (external link)

:lol:

Adams totally would have used a Nikon 'cause Nikon's got so much more dynamic range than Canon - way way way more latitude for him to dodge and burn till the cows come home on the dynamic range.

There you go...I just combined two of the most over-stated things on POTN for your entertainment pleasure. :D

On topic I'll suggest this as my own perspective: I am caring less and less about "photos" and more and more about "images". I get that many kinds of photography are, of necessity, documentary in nature, but, where not thus constrained, I want to move past that in my own practice.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

panicatnabisco
971 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 09, 2014 23:43 |  #37

Dont forget mirrorless, because NO ONE in their right might would shoot with an obsolete mirrorbox

Canon 1DXmkIII |1DX | 6Dii | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 35/1.4ii | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,412 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 09, 2014 23:48 |  #38

Art involves a leap of the imagination.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,218 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 10, 2014 05:49 |  #39

texkam wrote in post #17204579 (external link)
Art involves a leap of the imagination.

True. And photographs (unmanipulated documentaries) emanate from those who have little.

Art = imagination, and imagination derives from intelligence. Those who have great artistic talent have great intelligence.

Website (external link) |

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 10, 2014 05:53 |  #40

DoughnutPhoto wrote in post #17203598 (external link)
And here I am thinking that every picture I take is an expression of myself. You'd make a case to say snapshots aren't art... but a proper photograph that you took the time to plan out, think about and capture surely is. When I am out and about I am always considering what exactly it is that I like about a scene and focus on that to bring it out in a photograph. If that isn't art, no amount of editing in Photoshop is going to turn it into art.

i agree. at what point did i say you needed to edit an image to make it art. if you set up a shot with the intent to create an expression, then its art. if you are taking a picture to document something, it isn't art.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,218 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 10, 2014 05:56 |  #41

Also, I didn't see Ken Rockwell thrown into this soup. Remember - he's a potential ingredient that can take it to a new level ! Hmmmmm, I wonder what Ken has to say about manipulating images, art, and so forth.

Website (external link) |

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 10, 2014 06:25 |  #42

benji25 wrote in post #17203318 (external link)
I am color blind. My own body messes with hue and saturation. Does that mean what I see isn't real?

I'm color blind also. I try not to think about it too much but it certainly makes post processing a challenge. When I do think about it, I wonder.... I know what green looks like to me, but is that what anyone else sees? I'm not red/green color blind so it gets even more complicated when I ponder it.

I'm fortunate to have a wife who can look at my stuff and see if I'm heading in a wrong direction. I do use a lot of the "auto" features of both Lightroom and the Nik Collection.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

airfrogusmc
36,485 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 10, 2014 08:41 |  #43

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17204769 (external link)
True. And photographs (unmanipulated documentaries) emanate from those who have little.

Art = imagination, and imagination derives from intelligence. Those who have great artistic talent have great intelligence.

Weston called it the obvious I call nouns or faithful representations of the object. Weston said he had no desire to photograph the obvious nor do I...:)

OhLook
you get what you get
19,330 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 10, 2014 10:13 |  #44

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17204813 (external link)
I'm color blind also. . . . I know what green looks like to me, but is that what anyone else sees?

People with full color vision can ask the same question. Is my green your red, or is it your blue, or is it perhaps a hue that no one else sees? It's a classic problem in philosophy.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

airfrogusmc
36,485 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 10, 2014 10:38 |  #45

OhLook wrote in post #17205119 (external link)
People with full color vision can ask the same question. Is my green your red, or is it your blue, or is it perhaps a hue that no one else sees? It's a classic problem in philosophy.

Yes we all see color slightly different and colors can evoke different emotions depending on our life's experiences, how we actually see color and culture.

sponsored links

7,070 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it still a photograph if you.....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.