Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 08:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scott Kelby's take on 7D mark II after real world use

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 09, 2014 19:40 |  #151

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17204137 (external link)
That is like the 1DX, but it still doesn't work well. I will let you dig through this active post going on right now over on FM.

http://www.fredmiranda​.com …/topic/1321563/​0#12609334 (external link)

Just look for what people have to say regarding the 1DX functionality, it sounds like the 7D2 will mirror that.

This is from the manual is it the same or different?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
JBlake
126 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 09, 2014 22:20 |  #152

ljp3 wrote in post #17203704 (external link)
I have a 70D and am contemplating getting the 7D Mark II, can I stay? :p

If I am truthful with myself the 70D is more than enough camera and "If" my skill ever surpasses the cameras limits it will be in the distant future... but who wants to be truthful with themselves :D

I would hold onto your 70D until after some unbiased reviews can be made of the 7D II, specifically the AF system.

I remember when the 7D I first came out and all the experts, on the Canon website that is, were so very impressed with the new 19 point cross type AF system. Then once the camera got out in use by many enthusiast, it turned out that the AF system was not as incredible as the experts had made it out to be; I owned a 7D for 11 months, it left a lot to be desired.

There is a reason that Mr. Kelby did not make any comparisons to other camera's, like say the 70D, because from what I can see, the 70D jpeg engine is actually just a bit sharper at ISO 6400 when compared to the 7D II at the same ISO.

Just hop over to the Imaging resource, open up their comparometer, and select the 70D and 7D II, both at ISO 6400. Click on the image from both camera's, and you will be able to inspect full res images from each. There is enough details and shadows to see that there is no real difference between these camera's jpeg's at ISO 6400. Even though this is just a studio scene, it still shows the sensors IQ potential.

What will separate these two camera's, is how well the new AF systems on the 7D II pans out. If the AF system in the 7D II does deliver, at 10fps, then it would be a worthy upgrade, if not, just wait for the 80D to be released.

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 10, 2014 05:18 |  #153

JBlake wrote in post #17204472 (external link)
There is a reason that Mr. Kelby did not make any comparisons to other camera's, like say the 70D, because from what I can see, the 70D jpeg engine is actually just a bit sharper at ISO 6400 when compared to the 7D II at the same ISO.

Or, you know, he doesn't have, shoot or know the 70D at all and therefore wasn't in the position to do a use test.

You know, even if Canon also gave him a 70D and said can you shoot both and do a video on the differences (which doesn't make sense in marketing terms), anyone expecting him or that whole crew to do measurebating tests is just not understanding what their thing is.

It's fairly simple - he was given a 7D to shoot, he went out and shot a few things with it, and came back and talked about his personal experiences. He liked it. There are no conspiracies going on here... :rolleyes:

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,156 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 10, 2014 05:54 |  #154

Scott owns a 70D, and he is an accomplished wedding photographer. He is more a photographer than many of the amateurs on this board, including myself. Give credit where credit is due. People like to belittle those that are more accomplished or recognized, and their views, to make themselves feel more important. Either agree with him or disagree with him, but certainly don't disparage him, or any of the other reviewers of the 7D2 currently.

Any one of us here would love to have Canon recognize us as somebody important enough to hand a new camera before its release to get our thoughts. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,392 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 10, 2014 06:13 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #155

Also, it's simply not true that Kelby hasn't used/didn't mention the 70D. With video, he said the 70D might be a better camera due to the tilty touch screen: that while the 7D2 had some improvements in dual pixel AF, it's real advantage is action shots. Even though he gets endorsements from Canon, and he will plug them as a Company, his impressions of their products seem genuine.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

JBlake
126 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 10, 2014 06:23 |  #156

talbot_sunbeam wrote in post #17204754 (external link)
Or, you know, he doesn't have, shoot or know the 70D at all and therefore wasn't in the position to do a use test.

You know, even if Canon also gave him a 70D and said can you shoot both and do a video on the differences (which doesn't make sense in marketing terms), anyone expecting him or that whole crew to do measurebating tests is just not understanding what their thing is.

It's fairly simple - he was given a 7D to shoot, he went out and shot a few things with it, and came back and talked about his personal experiences. He liked it. There are no conspiracies going on here... :rolleyes:

If you watched the video by Kelby, you would see that he states that he owns a 70D.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,127 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 10, 2014 08:18 |  #157

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17204779 (external link)
Scott owns a 70D, and he is an accomplished wedding photographer. He is more a photographer than many of the amateurs on this board, including myself. Give credit where credit is due. People like to belittle those that are more accomplished or recognized, and their views, to make themselves feel more important. Either agree with him or disagree with him, but certainly don't disparage him, or any of the other reviewers of the 7D2 currently.

Any one of us here would love to have Canon recognize us as somebody important enough to hand a new camera before its release to get our thoughts. ;)

+1 100% agree. Petty jealousy - expressed through belittling the more accomplished - is a shameful thing.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony: α7R II | Sony G: 12-24, 24-105, 200-600 | Sigma Art: 14-24, 35 1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85 | Voigtländer: 12

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,598 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 10, 2014 08:37 |  #158

David Arbogast wrote in post #17204935 (external link)
+1 100% agree. Petty jealousy - expressed through belittling the more accomplished - is a shameful thing.

Scott does get criticized on his actual photography credibility a lot because he's primarily a teacher at this point in his career.

If you watch his videos, you can see that he's a master at Photoshop and pretty good at photography. I have learned a few things from the guy and that has to count for something. He's a good guy in my book, even though the video was a bit of a pitch for canon.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 10, 2014 08:50 |  #159

There is a lot of photographers who are well known due to their presence on YouTube. Scott Kelby seems like a likeable guy and I was always curious as to why he shot Nikon. Now he's switch to Canon I do feel he doesn't broadcast as much as some famous folk.

When he starts doing the CPS videos then yeah maybe he's too far gone then, but for now, it's nice to see. We all make our own judgements on gear, but for kicks and giggles it's nice to watch a video like that. RC does my box in though, part of the reason I don't watch their videos.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,156 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 10, 2014 08:56 |  #160

I didn't know who RC was, but knew I didn't like the guy on the right, he added no real value to the video, and now I know who RC is. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 10, 2014 09:32 |  #161

talbot_sunbeam wrote in post #17204754 (external link)

Other then he is a stooge bought and paid for by Canon and is going to say what Canon wants him to say.

When it comes to an unbiased and honest report on a Canon camera.

Scott Kelby = Used car salesman.

Both have the same goals (increase interest and sales for their boss) and the same level of integrity.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,286 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 10, 2014 09:46 as a reply to  @ Scoobert's post |  #162

I think the AF illumination during Servo AF works fine in the 1DX. It's perhaps not too elegant, the fact that they had to interlace AF point illumination with exposure metering (that's why it's flashing all the time, since metering doesn't work when the light is on), but it for sure is useful.

The 7D Mark II seems to have the same system. But as already determined when it comes to IQ, there's always something to complain about.

Anders

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,127 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 10, 2014 10:11 |  #163

Charlie wrote in post #17204969 (external link)
Scott does get criticized on his actual photography credibility a lot because he's primarily a teacher at this point in his career.

If you watch his videos, you can see that he's a master at Photoshop and pretty good at photography. I have learned a few things from the guy and that has to count for something. He's a good guy in my book, even though the video was a bit of a pitch for canon.

Good comments Charlie. Kelby has indeed positioned himself as a kind of evangelist for Adobe, Canon, and Google, which doesn't give him the appearance of having an unbiased view. Nonetheless, I've learned a ton from Kelby over the years and I have a special appreciation for him as the teacher he is. His little book on Digital Photography - the first on in the series - was an amazing introduction to photography for me. :)

Scoobert wrote in post #17205050 (external link)
Other then he is a stooge bought and paid for by Canon and is going to say what Canon wants him to say.

Both have the same goals (increase interest and sales for their boss) and the same level of integrity.

Simply because a person promotes a company's product does not make them a "stooge". Calling him that is a public announcement of your intellectual laziness.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony: α7R II | Sony G: 12-24, 24-105, 200-600 | Sigma Art: 14-24, 35 1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85 | Voigtländer: 12

2n10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
17,086 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 10, 2014 10:13 |  #164

From the "Stooge" on another forum.

"Hi Everybody:
Just wanted to clarify a few things from the broadcast that I saw were questions here:

(1) It's is 20.2 megapixels and always has been since I first heard of the camera. That was just a total brain-freeze on my part. I don't have a 24-megapixel version. That was just me misstating one of the specs.
(2) The reason I didn't shoot in Raw was because I don't have any program that is updated to support the unreleased camera. No support yet for Lightroom or Camera Raw, so I had to shoot JPEGs. That being said, I shoot JPEGs for sports either way, but I would have shot some just for example purposes.
(3) I am not sponsored by Canon. I hope to be one day, but at this point, I am not so I bought my Canon gear by selling my Nikon gear -- it was not given to me by Canon. I did get some loaner gear to try out. Nikon let me use loaner gear from time to time, too. So did Sony. Now, if I could just get Hassleblad… ;-)a

All my best,

-Scott Kelby"

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
2,051 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 10, 2014 10:14 |  #165

To have any type of long term effect as an "industry expert" you need to keep some type of credibility. Often that is done by not saying something more than saying it. He is not in deep enough with Canon that he is made for life, he has other sources of income that he appears to be smart enough to protect. Is what he said biased, yes, will he flat out lie for a single product on a single video? Not likely. Used car sales man, no.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

sponsored links

64,394 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scott Kelby's take on 7D mark II after real world use
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.