Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Oct 2014 (Friday) 16:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70 f4 l IS

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 10, 2014 16:50 |  #1

Am contemplating this lens -- and wonder if anyone with first hand experience (not just reading specs and reviews) can comment? Particularly on the 7D or 5D3

I shoot with 7D and 5D3, and am waiting for the 7D2 on order -- I now shoot with the 24-105 and like it but am thinking the 24-70 will fit just fine below the 70-200 f4 L IS - and I shoot outdoors primarily -- sports, wildlife, some scenic. I'd probably use it on both cameras ... not just FF wide.

I read mixed reviews on the 24-105, and find a little bit of mixed in my own brain. The 24-70 would have to be very good upgrade in IQ for me to change -- but am willing to spend it if it gives that IQ improvement.

A personal thought: Some guys seem to think certain lenses are only for either FF or CF, but not both. I find more versatility with a lens on both cameras ... the range increases quite a bit and minimal lose in quality - IMO ...

For example: 24-70 becomes FF 24-70 + CF = 112 .. nice added range, and it then overlaps the 70-200 nicely.

sponsored links
GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 10, 2014 18:51 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

At $800 through Canon refurb, it is quite a bargain right now. I'm waiting to see how the 24-105 STM reviews.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 10, 2014 19:08 |  #3

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17206062 (external link)
At $800 through Canon refurb, it is quite a bargain right now. I'm waiting to see how the 24-105 STM reviews.

It might be offered with 7D2 as a $250 rebate off $999, which is a great price new ...
The rebate is now 7D, 6D, and 70D ... it might update to 7D2 and I just ordered 7D2

magicmikey
968 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 10, 2014 19:51 |  #4

Mine will be in tomorrow so I'll post my thoughts on it shortly.

SHIF.ski
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 10, 2014 20:45 |  #5

I just received this exact lens with an EOS 6D body just two weeks ago. Got a sweet bro deal on the pair through Canonpricewatch “street price”. I really wanted this one over the typical 24-105 kit lens based on all the reviews. I already own a 70-300L so the extra reach of the 105 is not missed. I read all the glowing reviews before pulling the trigger. I really like reviews by Ken Rockwell, he always tells it like it is. He compares the 24-70 with the 24-105 in this review:

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/canon/lenses/24-70mm-f4.htm (external link)

I also studied countless example photos on Flickr taken with this lens and body combo.

I don’t have a 5D3 but I bet the results are exactly the same as on my 6D.

So far I’ve taken over 200 shots with this new rig and the results are as expected, great. It handles well and focuses quickly. It took some time to adjust to the location of the zoom ring but now I really like it near the camera body. The macro feature is interesting and fun to play around with. However I don’t think it’s suitable for serious macro work, you’re just too close to the subject.

I’m very pleased with this purchase and have zero regrets.

My next lens will probably be the 16-35 f/4 L IS, just waiting for the prices to fall a little.

-Shif

6D / 16-35 f/4L / 24-70 f/4L / 70-300L / 85 / 135L

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,118 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2008

Oct 10, 2014 20:51 |  #6

Personally, I would just stick with your 24-105L. While it's not a sexy lens, it is quite versatile for outdoor shooting due to its range and IS. The 24-70 f/4 IS is not going to be a huge improvement for the expense.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 10, 2014 23:09 |  #7

SHIF.ski wrote in post #17206198 (external link)
I just received this exact lens with an EOS 6D body just two weeks ago. Got a sweet bro deal on the pair through Canonpricewatch “street price”. I really wanted this one over the typical 24-105 kit lens based on all the reviews. I already own a 70-300L so the extra reach of the 105 is not missed. I read all the glowing reviews before pulling the trigger. I really like reviews by Ken Rockwell, he always tells it like it is. He compares the 24-70 with the 24-105 in this review:

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/canon/lenses/24-70mm-f4.htm (external link)

I also studied countless example photos on Flickr taken with this lens and body combo.

I don’t have a 5D3 but I bet the results are exactly the same as on my 6D.

So far I’ve taken over 200 shots with this new rig and the results are as expected, great. It handles well and focuses quickly. It took some time to adjust to the location of the zoom ring but now I really like it near the camera body. The macro feature is interesting and fun to play around with. However I don’t think it’s suitable for serious macro work, you’re just too close to the subject.

I’m very pleased with this purchase and have zero regrets.

My next lens will probably be the 16-35 f/4 L IS, just waiting for the prices to fall a little.

-Shif

I would not trust anything Ken Rockwell states. His reviews are horrid; they are all basically the same review but he puts different models in for comparison.

Some of my feedback

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 10, 2014 23:49 |  #8

Right, I agree about KR, not impressed with his reviews -- plus, I've read the specs, read reviews, and am really looking for someone who has it, and uses it. Nothing like unbiased first hand info ...

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 11, 2014 02:49 |  #9

Stepping up to the f/2.8 makes sense, which is something I've been considering. Otherwise I'd keep the 24-105 and spend my money elsewhere.

I'd like to see the 7D2 bundled with it, I haven't seen rumor that the US will include any EF L lenses, only Canon Canada so far. Has anyone got new info on this?

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 11, 2014 10:28 |  #10

Nethawked wrote in post #17206571 (external link)
Stepping up to the f/2.8 makes sense, which is something I've been considering. Otherwise I'd keep the 24-105 and spend my money elsewhere.

I'd like to see the 7D2 bundled with it, I haven't seen rumor that the US will include any EF L lenses, only Canon Canada so far. Has anyone got new info on this?

Has anyone actually seen it bundled in Canada? That would be great ...

I've got someone asking about that - bundle 7D2 with 24-70 f4 IS ... will let everyone know, but that's why I asked this question. Because if it is, that's a great bundle, and will qualify for a $250 rebate ... and I'd buy it at that price. I have ordered the 7D2 and will add to it if this is available.

I like the 24-105, but it has it's issues -- easy work around, but with the 24-70, would be a nice companion to the 70-200 ...

That would mean 7D2 + 24/70 at $1799 + $999, - $250 = $2548 (if no tax) and that's a sweet price and two great pieces of equipment.

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 11, 2014 17:14 |  #11

Aden Camera

http://www.adencamera.​com …sp?ProdID=5115&​Category=6 (external link)

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 11, 2014 20:05 |  #12

Thanks ...

sponsored links

2,606 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70 f4 l IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.