Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Oct 2014 (Sunday) 17:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

It's not specific to photography....

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 12, 2014 17:35 |  #1

Here's proof it doesn't just happen with photography...

Taken from a Facebook Post.

Cindy
13 hrs

I have clippered my husbands hair for approx 15 years and done it for my sons who are now 8 and 7 and am willing to try other children boys hair for $5.00 and see how it goes.....PLEASE NOTE...I am not a hairdresser but am very confidant in clipper cuts. (Also cut and dyed my own hair for over 10 years so will see how I go with this first) ONLY AVAILABLE at home on Mon, Fri, Sat, Sun

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
14,843 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 12, 2014 17:54 |  #2

That would be illegal in Washington state. Even if you had a business license, you would need a barber license.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 12, 2014 18:38 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #3

But, it's just a hobby...no license is required if I am just making some extra spending money, right?

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

Iscariotau
516 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 12, 2014 19:28 |  #4

Brave soul that goes there for a hair cut.

MyFlickr (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 12, 2014 20:59 |  #5

You get what you pay for and some people have no problems paying for poor quality if it saves them a few bucks.

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 13, 2014 09:23 |  #6

the flying moose wrote in post #17209505 (external link)
You get what you pay for and some people have no problems paying for poor quality if it saves them a few bucks.

You're assuming that it's poor quality. That could easily be way off mark.

Some of the best photographers I know aren't professionals. It's not that they couldn't be, they just don't want to be. They have jobs which they've done for years and are good at and those pay the bills. But, they enjoy the hobby and they are very, very good. Likewise, once of the best haircuts I ever got was from someone who just knew how to cut hair.

Assuming that something is good or bad, based on what it costs, is often ill-advised...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

benji25
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 13, 2014 09:34 |  #7

I have my friend clipper my hair for free. May be all of the professional stylists in town should **** about him stealing their business?

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,608 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 13, 2014 09:50 |  #8

Iscariotau wrote in post #17209380 (external link)
Brave soul that goes there for a hair cut.

Brave? Not really. Some of us (myself definitely included) simply don't care what our hair looks like. At all. Bravery has nothing to do with it.

Why spend money for quality (or perceived quality) when we don't care about the quality? It only makes sense to spend money for things that matter to us. If higher quality doesn't matter, then it doesn't make sense to pay more for it. This goes for haircuts, photography services, or anything else.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

beano
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 13, 2014 10:15 |  #9

I use clippers on myself. You can't really go wrong, if it's just an all over #1. I've done it for other people too, for free of course.. It always amazes me that people will pay a hairdresser to shave their head!?! Buy some clippers! You'll make the money back in a month.

Scott

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 13, 2014 10:24 |  #10

Yup, I just used clippers on my own head yesterday. I had to replace my old clipper as it just gave out. THe new one was $30 at $5 a cut (local barber charges $10) thats only 6 cuts. I do my hair 2-3 times a month you do the math :)

If all she is offering is clipper cuts there is not much that can go wrong. Put the #1 or #2 guard on and go to town.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 13, 2014 10:41 |  #11

At the very least she's confidant [Sic].

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

CMfromIL
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 13, 2014 10:57 |  #12

Well, seeing as I'm bald I feel that she's overcharging.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

Willie
959 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 13, 2014 14:02 |  #13

This has been going on in countless jobs for a long time.

Carpenters, electricians, plumbers, lanscapers, painters, car repair, basically every handyman type job and any job that is more mundane.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 13, 2014 14:17 |  #14

Road Dog wrote in post #17210200 (external link)
You're assuming that it's poor quality. That could easily be way off mark.

Some of the best photographers I know aren't professionals. It's not that they couldn't be, they just don't want to be. They have jobs which they've done for years and are good at and those pay the bills. But, they enjoy the hobby and they are very, very good. Likewise, once of the best haircuts I ever got was from someone who just knew how to cut hair.

Assuming that something is good or bad, based on what it costs, is often ill-advised...

That's true but I am speaking on my experiences, in my area, especially with someone who isn't a "insert profession here" doing cheap work on the side. In fact, 4 of my recent shoots were people who went to someone else who "does a little photography on the side for cheap" and were incredibly unhappy with the results.

While it might just be a haircut but you'd never expect a person who said, "I read law books in my free time, I'll be your lawyer", or "I've got some tools at home, and I can Google the problem, I'll fix your car for you" to give you good results.

While there are people out there with a natural talent and can just pick up a tool or camera or a guitar and be instantly awesome, most people aren't and without a ton of practice and hard work cannot produce good results.

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 13, 2014 20:44 |  #15

the flying moose wrote in post #17210728 (external link)
While there are people out there with a natural talent and can just pick up a tool or camera or a guitar and be instantly awesome, most people aren't and without a ton of practice and hard work cannot produce good results.

And there is no shortage of people out there, who've purchased very nice cameras, practiced and, as a result of that practice, are very, very good photographers. These people, though, either give their work away or shoot for very little money, just because making money with photography is something which doesn't interest them.

There seems to be some mindset here that, if it's inexpensive or free, it must be of poor quality. Nothing could be further from the truth...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

sponsored links

3,254 views & 0 likes for this thread
It's not specific to photography....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.