Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Oct 2014 (Sunday) 03:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6d autofocus - how bad is it?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,453 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 12, 2014 15:30 |  #31

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17209060 (external link)
I just loaded v5.6 yesterday. I have not had a chance to play with it, yet.

reports say no diff between the two regarding noise reduction.....

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links
GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 12, 2014 15:33 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

That's OK with me, version 4.4 is fine. I only upgraded because it only cost me $10. Indiana University students get some pretty good software deals. I got CS6 for $20. I don't have a clue how to use it, though!

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 12, 2014 20:49 |  #33

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17209073 (external link)
I got CS6 for $20. I don't have a clue how to use it, though!

lol.... :lol: Try opening some files for a start... :)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 12, 2014 20:59 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17209496 (external link)
lol.... :lol: Try opening some files for a start... :)

In CS6? I don't even know where to begin. I still struggle with PSE 12! Lightroom is quite enough for me, most days.

dnauer
529 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 12, 2014 21:12 |  #35

I had a 40D and rented a 6D when it first came out. Although the FF and low ISO performance was incredible, the 6D's autofocus was actually worse than my 40D's for active poor light focus -- for example, shooting dog agility in indoor horse arenas. I waited, upgraded to a 70D when it first came out, and have been very happy. I've got this "hope" that a 6D Mark II would appear with at least the 70D's focus capabilities -- and now I've also been spoiled by the articulating touchscreen which was never in my "required" department. Unfortunately -- I'll have difficulty stepping away from that if I find an (otherwise) good upgrade for the 70D in the future.

Smitharoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 12, 2014 23:51 |  #36

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17208663 (external link)
I only use LR to process my shots. When working with ISO 3200, or higher, I do custom WB, shoot raw, ETTR (I will blow unnecessary highlights, intentionally) at +2/3 to +4/3 EC w/evaluative metering. I always use Evaluative because I know how it works. In LR drop the exposure first, then work on a happy compromise between sharpening (I usually mask around 50%) and luminance NR. Too much sharpening increases noise, too much luma NR kills detail. (I just leave the chroma noise at the default setting of 25.) It takes a bit of practice, but once you've got it down, it only takes seconds. Batch processing similar shots saves even more time. LR is wonderful, but at ISO 6400 on a crop camera YOU HAVE TO GET THE EXPOSURE RIGHT. Once you've gotten the exposure, sharpening and NR finished you can mess with saturation, color, and contrast to get a final product.

GeoKras, that works a treat! I'm not sure I can push +4/3EC without clipping too many highlights (although activating highlight tone priority helps here), but certainly over exposing in-camera is really helping high iso shots. I can't believe i was doing the opposite for so long! Thanks

Smitharoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 13, 2014 00:05 |  #37

Nigi wrote in post #17208739 (external link)
Not with f1.4, with 50 1.8 it was useless, but it's poor af lens even on 1dx. 24-105 f4 was straggling, same 70-300 IS. If you need tracking in poor light better get 5diii or 7dii.

Thanks. My 55-150 is pretty poor at tracking on my 7D. I attempted birds in flight a few weeks back and had many mis-focussed shots.

Smitharoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 13, 2014 00:12 |  #38

dnauer wrote in post #17209524 (external link)
I had a 40D and rented a 6D when it first came out. Although the FF and low ISO performance was incredible, the 6D's autofocus was actually worse than my 40D's for active poor light focus -- for example, shooting dog agility in indoor horse arenas. I waited, upgraded to a 70D when it first came out, and have been very happy. I've got this "hope" that a 6D Mark II would appear with at least the 70D's focus capabilities -- and now I've also been spoiled by the articulating touchscreen which was never in my "required" department. Unfortunately -- I'll have difficulty stepping away from that if I find an (otherwise) good upgrade for the 70D in the future.

Thanks. Do you recall if this was with the centre focus point? This is what i was fearing. I've got some wonderful photos of my kids running/jumping/playin​g and would really be disappointed not being able to shoot these kind of photos if I went with 6D.

dnauer
529 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 13, 2014 00:25 |  #39

Smitharoo wrote in post #17209732 (external link)
Thanks. Do you recall if this was with the centre focus point? This is what i was fearing. I've got some wonderful photos of my kids running/jumping/playin​g and would really be disappointed not being able to shoot these kind of photos if I went with 6D.

The center focus point on the 6D was pretty good -- it is the other focus points that weren't as strong. To be clear, this is a very useable camera, the outer focus points do work, but the keeper rate was noticeably lower than at that time my 40D in my short time with the camera where I was trying to use more than the center point in poor light with fast moving subjects. That kind of subject isn't the 6Ds strong suite for sure.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,001 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 13, 2014 11:03 |  #40

I would recommend trying out Lenses For Hire (external link) for renting. They do a three day minimum hire, but it is a FULL three days. Get the camera on day -1, shoot on days one to three the return on day 4. The minimum hire is £119, plus delivery/return. For longer it's about an additional £15 a day. I have used them a few times, couple of times for a 100-400 and also for the new Tamzooka 150-600. Brilliant service. At least the time you get the camera/lens for really lets you try it out.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Tim ­ J
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined May 2013

Oct 13, 2014 11:13 |  #41

I use my 6D to shoot cross country meets with AI servo and the center point, and I think it works very well. I typically use a 70-200 lens and keep my finger on the back button as I pick up runners from our team coming toward me on the course. I find that I can shift to various different runners when a big group comes at me and still get individual shots as I pan from one runner to another. Granted, we are talking runners, not sports cars, but I am very pleased with the results and high number of in-focus shots. no regrets here.

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,423 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 13, 2014 11:31 as a reply to  @ Tim J's post |  #42

Interesting thread. I have been considering adding the 6D to my 7D mostly because I want a proper portrait zoom. My 70-200 is great for outdoor sports on the 7D, but it's too long for portraits a lot of the time. Because of that I use my 24-105 more for portraits, but at 6.3 equivalent, the DOF is not there on either of those. There just isn't any one lens out there for crop that could do what my 70-200/4 IS can do on full frame much less a 2.8 version.

I really wish Canon would stop putting the best AF sensors in the center. I never ever use the center point - ever. I wish they would come out with a system where they had 4 really good cross point AF sensors as close as possible to the 4 rule of thirds points- maybe even dual cross points. The rest they could just fill in with whatever 5.6 single line, I don't care.

I think I am just going to continue to upgrade glass until at least the 6d2 comes out. I'm sure it will have dual pixel technology and AF during video and hopefully at least the 7D/70D level of AF where I could get cross points at the rule of thirds. Who knows by the time the 6D2 comes out, the prices on the 5D3 will have dropped to where I could afford one of those.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 13, 2014 11:35 as a reply to  @ Tim J's post |  #43

I use a 1DMKII and shoot a lot of BIF, yet I only use the center point. Now this is supposed to be a camera that tracks very well and has good AF with or without AI servo.
Is the AF that bad on a 6D that it can't do the same just using just the Center point?
Would this mean the 6D can't even say track a seagull just using the Center point ?
I'm not real familiar with the 6D, but it should work with the Center point ?

Bruce

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 13, 2014 12:08 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

My 6D can track just fine if I keep the center point on target. The peripheral points in AI-Servo don't work as well as my 60D. 60D has all cross-type points; 6D's peripherals are linear.

Smitharoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 13, 2014 14:42 |  #45

BigAl007 wrote in post #17210399 (external link)
I would recommend trying out Lenses For Hire (external link) for renting.

Alan

Thanks for the link, I just don't fancy paying a hundred quid though!!

sponsored links

7,979 views & 0 likes for this thread
6d autofocus - how bad is it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.