Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D focus issue & blurred pictures

ejenner
Goldmember
3,800 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 30, 2014 22:14 |  #1321

redshift20 wrote in post #17186614 (external link)
I do see a difference when lighting is poor, but I assume that's par for the course.

I can't say it's not user error because I wasn't there but...

Depends what you mean by 'poor'. The shots you show look way, way off. And I would say 'poor' light would be ISO6400 1/30s f2.8 or dimmer. IMO there should be plenty of contrast in those shots.

AF can always miss a bit, but on a stationary target with that contrast I would expect closer than that every time. If you try to re-focus using AF does it then actually acquire focus?

It's when you are trying to take pictures of say a monochromatic non-patterned wall in dim light - or you put the AF point on someones white shirt (with little contrast) - then I would expect you might have a problem. Not with leaves where there is a definite edge (you can see the leaves are lit more on one side than the other).

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links
redshift20
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 30, 2014 23:14 |  #1322

ejenner wrote in post #17187159 (external link)
I can't say it's not user error because I wasn't there but...

Depends what you mean by 'poor'. The shots you show look way, way off. And I would say 'poor' light would be ISO6400 1/30s f2.8 or dimmer. IMO there should be plenty of contrast in those shots.

AF can always miss a bit, but on a stationary target with that contrast I would expect closer than that every time. If you try to re-focus using AF does it then actually acquire focus?

It's when you are trying to take pictures of say a monochromatic non-patterned wall in dim light - or you put the AF point on someones white shirt (with little contrast) - then I would expect you might have a problem. Not with leaves where there is a definite edge (you can see the leaves are lit more on one side than the other).

Thanks for the response. When I mention poor lighting, it was some testing I was doing in my living room. Lens was 50mm 1.8.. settings were f1.8, 1/125 @ ISO 1000. I was using a tripod, 2 second timer & mirror lockup. Results were pretty much all the same over 10 shots or so. AF was blurry and LV was much better. See image below.

I've tried refocusing and taking several subsequent shots, but it never seems to acquire better focus.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
comp_4 (external link) by redshift20 (external link), on Flickr

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 03, 2014 08:36 |  #1323

redshift20 wrote in post #17186614 (external link)
Sorry for the silly questions, but I'm fairly new to DSLR's and trying to learn. If this is just typical behavior, then I'll give up on the testing and resume shooting.

While testing is a good idea....If with everyday shooting your camera works fine I would just worry about getting out and shooting. I read into this thread before getting my 70d and before I even started shooting with it i started "testing" it looking for a problem...while mine seems to be fine, and hits AF even wide at 1.4 there could be something a little off, but for my needs it is working just fine.

Again, if you know what you are doing, and looking for, testing it out is a good thing. But don't get so caught up in looking for something that might not be wrong. I did some shots with AF and then LV and for the most part they seemed to match each other just fine. The only time AF gets a little crazy is if I try to use 19 AF points and shoot my 50 1.4 wide open, but with single point it nails it most of the time....and even more so with my 40mm and 10-20

And if you are testing inside on a tripod why shoot at ISO 1000? I usually try to test at the lowest possible ISO (100) when I can control it....

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

redshift20
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 03, 2014 10:05 |  #1324

madasax wrote in post #17191533 (external link)
While testing is a good idea....If with everyday shooting your camera works fine I would just worry about getting out and shooting. I read into this thread before getting my 70d and before I even started shooting with it i started "testing" it looking for a problem...while mine seems to be fine, and hits AF even wide at 1.4 there could be something a little off, but for my needs it is working just fine.

Again, if you know what you are doing, and looking for, testing it out is a good thing. But don't get so caught up in looking for something that might not be wrong. I did some shots with AF and then LV and for the most part they seemed to match each other just fine. The only time AF gets a little crazy is if I try to use 19 AF points and shoot my 50 1.4 wide open, but with single point it nails it most of the time....and even more so with my 40mm and 10-20

And if you are testing inside on a tripod why shoot at ISO 1000? I usually try to test at the lowest possible ISO (100) when I can control it....

Good advice. I'm not sure if there's a problem or not. In a lot of situations, the live view shot is just sharper. However, after talking with Canon's customer service, that's not necessarily indicative of a problem because the focusing in live view is just more accurate.

I've decided to hang on to it and enjoy. I can't say I've been disappointed at all outside of testing. I love the camera. If I run into the problem after getting a better lens for testing, I'll just deal with the warranty.

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 03, 2014 23:48 |  #1325

Yea I have not had any issues with missed focus and seems like it nails it on par with my 7D i had before....even at wide shots of F 1.4. Again just like using MFA / Pixel peeping / and looking for missed focus....unless you start to notice a consistent problem im sure it is fine. Also like I said, i tested mine with my 40mm 2.8 wide open and found that shooting something a good distance away there may have been a slight difference in sharpness from LV / to using the VF it was minor and nothing I would not use my 70d over.....the 70d was a great DSLR to have in Disneyland with the AF video - the swivel screen - the touch - WiFi - shooting speed - and AF system - everything worked perfect and any time a picture didn't turn out it was more or less user error, not the 70D.

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 13, 2014 09:10 |  #1326

Good news! After spending over a month at Canon service center, my 70D has been fixed. My eyes can tell me that I am now seeing a very big improvement on my photos with regards to their sharpness and consistency. Previously, my camera was very poor on my 24 105L lens. Even at 5.6.

With molyb's analysis on the alignment of the af points to the sensitive areas, I was able to explain the issue to the technical team leader over the phone clearly which I think made him successful on the repair. The first one was a failure due to lack of communication I guess.

When I picked up my 70 this afternoon, I asked them if I can have a chat with their team leader to express my thanks to him and so they called him. I was able to have the chance to ask him about what he did to my camera. First, he confirmed that the focusing areas where way off from the af points we see on the VF. Then told me that no spare parts were replaced (except for the af unit which was replaced on the 1st unsuccessful service). And he continued explaining, he made electrical and mechanical adjustments on the whole af system. According to him, the VF mechanism were not aligned to the af sensor causing the camera to front and back focus randomly and they worked on that. I checked the mid point (again with the use of a bond with a single line drawn in it) and found it centered this time. Even the three af points adjacent to it who were numb before can now focus accurately. I didn't quite understand about the electrical part but it sounds like some spare part is not receiving the proper power to operate correctly.

To cut the story short, they did great for the second time and I thanked them a lot. My new sigma 50 1.4 works well with it and Im happy for that. :lol:

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 13, 2014 09:39 |  #1327

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17210185 (external link)
Good news! After spending over a month at Canon service center, my 70D has been fixed. My eyes can tell me that I am now seeing a very big improvement on my photos with regards to their sharpness and consistency. Previously, my camera was very poor on my 24 105L lens. Even at 5.6.

With molyb's analysis on the alignment of the af points to the sensitive areas, I was able to explain the issue to the technical team leader over the phone clearly which I think made him successful on the repair. The first one was a failure due to lack of communication I guess.

When I picked up my 70 this afternoon, I asked them if I can have a chat with their team leader to express my thanks to him and so they called him. I was able to have the chance to ask him about what he did to my camera. First, he confirmed that the focusing areas where way off from the af points we see on the VF. Then told me that no spare parts were replaced (except for the af unit which was replaced on the 1st unsuccessful service). And he continued explaining, he made electrical and mechanical adjustments on the whole af system. According to him, the VF mechanism were not aligned to the af sensor causing the camera to front and back focus randomly and they worked on that. I checked the mid point (again with the use of a bond with a single line drawn in it) and found it centered this time. Even the three af points adjacent to it who were numb before can now focus accurately. I didn't quite understand about the electrical part but it sounds like some spare part is not receiving the proper power to operate correctly.

To cut the story short, they did great for the second time and I thanked them a lot. My new sigma 50 1.4 works well with it and Im happy for that. :lol:

AWESOME NEWS !!!!

Congrats Jigg's, a working 70D is an fantastic camera.

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 13, 2014 09:43 |  #1328

Scoobert wrote in post #17210223 (external link)
AWESOME NEWS !!!!

Congrats Jigg's, a working 70D is an fantastic camera.

It's a really great camera that's why I didn't give up on it. This thread helped me a lot, following this since it started had paid off. :)

musicmaster
Saw the Light
853 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 04, 2014 22:46 |  #1329

All right. Got a Refurbed 70D from the Canon direct store. Threw on my Canon 50 1.4 and shot at F/1.6

Focus using Live view is clearly sharper than using the standard focus points. Do I call Canon support or go through Canon Sales to get a new one?

That being said, I don't notice it with my Tamron 17-50 2.8...

Gripped 70D, Sigma F/2.8 OS, 70-200L F/2.8, 300L F/4 IS, EOS M5, 18-150, 22 2.0

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 05, 2014 06:45 |  #1330

musicmaster wrote in post #17253001 (external link)
All right. Got a Refurbed 70D from the Canon direct store. Threw on my Canon 50 1.4 and shot at F/1.6

Focus using Live view is clearly sharper than using the standard focus points. Do I call Canon support or go through Canon Sales to get a new one?

That being said, I don't notice it with my Tamron 17-50 2.8...

First, try to microadjust your AF. It could be that your 50mm needs a slight adjustment.
Live view (almost) always focuses accurately even if the lens needs MFA. MFA is not affecting live view, that is why a lens can focus accurately in live view but may be softer in normal AF.

Also, if the softness is consistently the same amount of front focus, or same amount of back focus, that again points to the lens needing micro AF adjustment.

The problem we've been discussing here shows up as inconsistent AF with no clear pattern, something that MFA can't solve.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 05, 2014 06:49 |  #1331

What live view focusing mode should be used for these tests?

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 05, 2014 07:05 |  #1332

travisvwright wrote in post #17253369 (external link)
What live view focusing mode should be used for these tests?

Flexizone Single

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 05, 2014 07:58 |  #1333

Thanks, I'll need to spend more time with my manual apparently. When i got to that menu I didn't know what any of the options meant.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 05, 2014 11:33 |  #1334

I have put my new refurb-70D through the paces indoors (its been nasty by the time I get home from work) and I have noticed no AF issues at all. It seems as good as my 5D3 all things considered. Live-view does result in some sharper images once and a while, but the same thing happens with my 5D3... Phase detection has a wider 'tolerance' than contrast detection, so that is common. Add to it poor indoor lighting and none of my lenses have been microadjusted yet to the body.

I did take my 70-200 and took 5 one-shot focused images in succession to see if any were out of focus, turning the focus ring between each and every shot... All looked just fine to me and noticed no front/back focusing shot to shot.

All seems awesome so far. Really nice body for the money!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 05, 2014 16:17 |  #1335

Invertalon wrote in post #17253824 (external link)
I have put my new refurb-70D through the paces indoors (its been nasty by the time I get home from work) and I have noticed no AF issues at all. It seems as good as my 5D3 all things considered. Live-view does result in some sharper images once and a while, but the same thing happens with my 5D3... Phase detection has a wider 'tolerance' than contrast detection, so that is common. Add to it poor indoor lighting and none of my lenses have been microadjusted yet to the body.

I did take my 70-200 and took 5 one-shot focused images in succession to see if any were out of focus, turning the focus ring between each and every shot... All looked just fine to me and noticed no front/back focusing shot to shot.

All seems awesome so far. Really nice body for the money!

Great news Invertalon.

I good working 70D is a very nice camera. It's no 5Diii, then again it doesnt cost like one either :)

sponsored links

350,979 views & 8 likes for this thread
70D focus issue & blurred pictures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.