Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 27 Sep 2014 (Saturday) 18:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Child Endangerment" What Some Photographers Won't Do

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Sep 30, 2014 12:57 |  #16

gonzogolf wrote in post #17185994 (external link)
So extending a cliche even farther makes it less cliche?

Having a baby does make it a different shot and the photograph ask a whole lot of different questions than your usual pretty girl on the railroad tracks. I haven't seen any picture like that before.

I don't know why everybody thinks that four adults can't assess the risks and liabilities to do what they do reasonably safely.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links
Dave3222
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 30, 2014 14:33 |  #17

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #17186248 (external link)
I don't know why everybody thinks that four adults can't assess the risks and liabilities to do what they do reasonably safely.

Yep. Safety is on every parents mind.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=PLEXBLvexZ8 (external link)

blackgold59
154 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 30, 2014 14:51 |  #18

Personally I don't think I'd go as far as setting up a chair on the tracks as they have here at this place, but up in these parts people take pictures all the time on the tracks, it's quite common. The train doesn't come through often, but when it does you will hear it coming and feel it's vibration long before you see it. I'm in a rural area though, so no speed trains and such.

I live directly across from a track, I've walked it for years as well as taken many pictures of my dogs on it, as well as by it. Grand kids as well, but like I said ours does not come through often but you will know it when it does before you see it because it sets off the whistle and I can hear that a mile up the road.

Terry ­ McDaniel
465 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 03, 2014 18:09 |  #19

You ever heard a train sneaking up on someone? I don't understand their concept with this setting, and it's not something I would have done, but I seriously doubt anyone is in danger.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 03, 2014 18:32 |  #20

Terry McDaniel wrote in post #17192420 (external link)
You ever heard a train sneaking up on someone? I don't understand their concept with this setting, and it's not something I would have done, but I seriously doubt anyone is in danger.

Yet people get killed walking on the tracks every year.

gdykstra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2007

Oct 03, 2014 19:25 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #21

Maybe not too dangerous, but "stuff" happens. The biggest thing is it just seems like such a waste of time, major technical mistakes, etc. Like I originally posted, this is across the street from my studio. I have seen this photographer shooting other people around town so they are probably finding her on CL or Thumbtack. What it boils down to is this:

Where in your house would you want to hang this, :rolleyes:?

Model Mayhem (external link) | Website (external link) 5D Mark III|5D Mark II|TSE 17mm f/4.0 L|24-70L f/2.8|85L f/1.2 II|135L f/2.0|70-200mm f/2.8L IS II|400mm f/5.6L|100mm f/2.8 Macro|15mm f/2.8

snerd
662 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 04, 2014 01:30 |  #22

|)\/8 wrote in post #17192514 (external link)
............ Where in your house would you want to hang this, :rolleyes:?

I can think of a dozen places!!!!

IMAGE: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5RG4HGk3AVk/T4eNbA-KRqI/AAAAAAAABrQ/VJKXPVESVY0/s1600/stacked_trailers.jpg

cameragal1
313 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 04, 2014 12:03 |  #23

How dangerous is this?

http://www.nydailynews​.com …-photos-article-1.1217517 (external link)

There is a restaurant we go to and the trains come by on a regular basis, you can see and hear them - they come FAST - - similar to the tracks in the photo - It comes fast...I can't imagine trying to get all that stuff off the tracks quickly. There are a few crosses there, hmm wonder what they are for?

I don't understand people defending this woman - it is dangerous and illegal.

I feel bad for the photographer - maybe next time you see her you should go out there and tell her that if she does not have liability insurance, better ideas for photos, and does not learn better lighting techniques - she will quickly be out of business.

Diane

Terry ­ McDaniel
465 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 05, 2014 20:54 |  #24

Something's been bothering me about this for awhile now and I just have to ask; did you go warn them of the danger before or after you took your picture?

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 05, 2014 22:41 |  #25

I don't think it's any big deal.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen photos taken by people who had to trespass in order to get the shot. Nobody got hurt in those instances, and no one got hurt here, either. In fact, the OP even states that, when a train did come by, they got the kid out of there. So, it would seem as though there was a degree of caution being used. Some of you folks are acting like the kid was tied to the tracks.

Also, I'm willing to bet the photographer's not a pro, just based on how she's dressed. I don't know any pro who would show up at a portrait session dressed like that. More likely it's a family member with a camera.

My question to the OP, though, is this: If you were so appalled at the complete disrespect for safety and property rights, why were you taking pictures instead of calling the police?

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 05, 2014 22:42 |  #26

Terry McDaniel wrote in post #17195875 (external link)
Something's been bothering me about this for awhile now and I just have to ask; did you go warn them of the danger before or after you took your picture?

Well, had he done that, he wouldn't have such a juicy photo to share on the internet...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2014 22:49 |  #27

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #17185987 (external link)
Post half a dozen shots of babies on tracks

google is your friend:
https://www.google.com …Q_AUoAQ&biw=192​0&bih=1084 (external link)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2014 23:00 |  #28

Terry McDaniel wrote in post #17192420 (external link)
You ever heard a train sneaking up on someone? ....

Yep. Happened in my neighborhood when I was a kid. The trains were normally "coasting" on the tracks getting ready to slow down when they passed through the neighborhood so the ambient noise from the nearby interstate and the major blvd. pretty much covered the sound of the train.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Terry ­ McDaniel
465 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 06, 2014 07:37 |  #29

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17196069 (external link)
Yep. Happened in my neighborhood when I was a kid. The trains were normally "coasting" on the tracks getting ready to slow down when they passed through the neighborhood so the ambient noise from the nearby interstate and the major blvd. pretty much covered the sound of the train.

Fair enough. Good point, and well taken. Gravity operated switching yards are another huge danger. I knew one guy that was killed on a gravity yard. He was trying to open the knuckle on one car and didn't hear the next one coming.

Podium
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 13, 2014 14:43 |  #30

That's nothing compared to these complete braindead parents who let their baby crawl on the edge of a 600 meter cliff;

IMAGE: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/16/1410875403339_wps_56_Norway_baby_cliff_MUZZED_.jpg

Wo sind die Tränen von gestern abend?
Wo ist der Schnee vom vergangenen Jahr?

sponsored links

13,775 views & 1 like for this thread
"Child Endangerment" What Some Photographers Won't Do
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.