Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 00:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

f 1.4 Driving me nuts!

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 14, 2014 00:46 |  #1

Sigma50 1.4 is my 1st fast lens wider than 1.8. I am able to attain good focus satrtint @1.8 but by the time I use larger than that, I get random blurry photos which annoys me in using it that wide. I am not blaming the lens, its me who is at fault here. How should I deal with it? Or is there a possibility that the lens could be faulty at these apertures ( 1.4 to be exact)? I get sharp images from f2 onwards and don't have any issues of front or back focus from there. 1.8 is a bit softer but nails. Its just that when I attempt to go lower than 1.8, the dilemma starts. Again, I consider it human error so any tips or maybe tricks from you guys in using this lens at 1.4 can help me a lot.

Here is my observation, if the lens is focusing, it makes a little adjustment before confirming focus. It is then that I get good photos. But sometimes (lets say often times), the camera beeps without that micro movement and thats the time I get blurry photos. Your advises will be appreciated. Thanks :D

sponsored links
Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 14, 2014 00:50 |  #2

try bracing your arms and holding your breath. also if its a living object ask them not to move as movement from the subject or you will result in out of focus and soft images

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

tacoman1423
155 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 14, 2014 01:38 |  #3

What camera? I usually grab the ring and manual it after the af locks on to get perfect focus. I do have the precision screens on the bodies I have to make manual focusing at f1.4 easy

Averion Photography (external link)
FLICKR (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 14, 2014 02:45 as a reply to  @ tacoman1423's post |  #4

Are you focus/recomposing?
At f/1.4... it will very frequently miss focus due to razor-thin DoF.

Kel
Gear

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,238 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 14, 2014 03:39 |  #5

I find at f/1.4 [Canon] it's more a DOF issue than a lens issue.

What's it like on a tripod shooing a static object?

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,109 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 14, 2014 03:50 |  #6

LeeRatters wrote in post #17211739 (external link)
What's it like on a tripod shooing a static object?

This^^

You first need to establish if it is an issue with the lens or lens/body combo before wondering if its user error. Test using a tripod at f/1.4 to satisfy yourself that a) the lens is sharp wide open and b) it does not need microadjusted on your body.

Once you confirm the lens is ok and is adjusted ok for your body you then know that any blurry photos are user error and you can work on that. Also make sure your shutter speeds are high enough to eliminate motion blur. Also try and avoid focus recompose if you can as the dof at 1.4 is very narrow if you are focussing on a close subject

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 14, 2014 09:34 |  #7

tacoman1423 wrote in post #17211668 (external link)
What camera? I usually grab the ring and manual it after the af locks on to get perfect focus. I do have the precision screens on the bodies I have to make manual focusing at f1.4 easy

70D. What are precision screens?

@Leeratters: Tried it on a tripod a while ago and had some blurry photos without the final adjustment (I should say) of the lens.

@1Tanker: Nope, I do not recompose on test shots actually.

I am starting to feel its a lens issue. But does great @ f2 as I mentioned.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,109 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 14, 2014 09:39 |  #8

If you are getting blurry shots at f/1.4 on a tripod then its definately the lens or the calibration with the body. You should get the sigma dock if you havent already. When I first got the 35 ART it was all over the place. I then ran it through the dock and it was perfect

Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 14, 2014 09:43 |  #9

xpfloyd wrote in post #17212095 (external link)
If you are getting blurry shots at f/1.4 on a tripod then its definately the lens or the calibration with the body. You should get the sigma dock if you havent already. When I first got the 35 ART it was all over the place. I then ran it through the dock and it was perfect

oops... Im sorry, its the non art version I purchased. Brand new.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,109 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 14, 2014 09:52 |  #10

ahh sorry, I had just assumed it was the new version. I dont have any knowledge of the original one but someone may be able to tell you if they are known to be soft wide open

Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 14, 2014 12:35 |  #11

You have a 70D, why don't you try AFMA to see if it will help?

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Oct 14, 2014 12:51 |  #12

The old Sigma 50s can be dodgy - I went through a few to get one that was sharp. As others have suggested stick it on a tripod and try focusing it - use live view if you have that available - and check how sharp the image is.

If the tripoded image is sharp (at various distances and consistently so) then it's your technique that is an issue. If its soft, then it's definitely the lens that is at fault. Hopefully, it's not the latter in your case, but if so return it for another copy.

Pradeep (but most people call me PJ)

Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)
Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 14, 2014 19:28 |  #13

Lbsimon wrote in post #17212496 (external link)
You have a 70D, why don't you try AFMA to see if it will help?

Its on a +3... I still get random results even on a tripod. I already contacted my dealer and they are willing to replace the unit. But I will still give it a try for testing this morning. I'm kind of having 2nd thoughts due to its consistency on f2 onwards and Im afraid of getting a replacement that might be worse. The store is 600 miles from me and shipping is not my best friend due to annoying feeling of waiting brings to me... :lol:.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,640 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 14, 2014 20:03 |  #14

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17211627 (external link)
SI get random blurry photos which annoys me in using it that wide. I am not blaming the lens, its me who is at fault here. How should I deal with it?

Are you saying it's always "blurry" at f/1.4, or that it's blurry or too blurry sometimes at f/1.4? Too many shooters fall into the trap of feeling like they have to shoot their lenses wide open, f1.4 isn't right for all subjects, in fact it's not right for most subjects imo. If it's that hard to nail the focus where you want at f/1.4 you likely should be stopping down just a tad anyway.

Short of that, it just takes practice. I shoot all my lenses manually (don't have a choice when using the 6D, don't have anymore EF lenses :lol:) and rarely have an issue even when shooting at f1.4. I also highly recommend a precision matte focusing screen if you're camera is compatible with one, for me the EG-S screen makes a huge difference in being able to see my DOF (and thus, focus) through the viewfinder.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 14, 2014 22:28 |  #15

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17213233 (external link)
Are you saying it's always "blurry" at f/1.4, or that it's blurry or too blurry sometimes at f/1.4?

Here's what I observed, if it nailed a shot @ 1.4, it will go sharp for at least 7 to 10 shots. When it misses, it's also the same thing. It will go OOF all the way and I have to turn the focusing ring (almost a full turn) to make it work properly again. This is the time I get random focus until it nails again for several shots and will miss continuously until I turn the ring again. And its getting worse now, it lost its consistency at f2 (just noticed it this morning) unlike yesterday. I did the same field tests both outdoors and indoors. My shutter never goes slower than 1/1000th indoors. Maximum ISO Ive used is 1600 so far.

About your question, It's too blurry for 1.4. I can't tell it sometimes because it's unpredictable. It follows a sequence (I guess). Consistent sharpness-Consistent OOf-turn the ring- Will give random results- And then back to its sharpness and so on. My life with it is a loop.

I have also thought it could be my 70D but I just got my unit from Canon and they had successfully resolved my issues with it. I have borrowed my friend's EF 50mm 1.8 just to check if I still have the lemon on my camera but it was sharp at 1.8.

I called my dealer today again and they are willing to replace the lens but I suggested I'll send my camera with it for them to check if it's lens calibration issue. I bought the lens directly from Sigma's authorized dealer and repair center here in our country and the sad thing is it's 600 miles from my town.

Now, I am torn. Questioning my stance and knowledge at 1.4 and thinking the lens issue. I've tested it on a tripod and took a target at about 2.5 meters but gives me the same thing. :confused:

sponsored links

4,611 views & 0 likes for this thread
f 1.4 Driving me nuts!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.