Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 11:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS M w 22mm lens for compact walkaround camera

low5530
85 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 14, 2014 09:47 |  #196

Ok maybe I should explain why I'm asking this. It may not have anything to do with the original topic but maybe someone else will find this useful. My goal is that I am looking for a way to transer selected images from the eos m camera to my phone for quick edit and imediate upload to social media. That being said the eyefi mobi card only alows transfer of jpeg files which is fine but... It will automatically transfer all jpeg files that are on the card no matter what, even ones you do not want. This is a problem as I do not want to store hundreds or thousands of jpegs on my phone which has limited storage space. So the work around Im trying to figure out is that I would like to be able to just shoot the EOS M in RAW only then select and convert a single raw file to jpeg for transfering to phone (thus selecting which photo I want to transfer). Is there a way to make this work?

Canon 5d mark I, Canon 60d gripped, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART, Rode videomic, Glidegear

sponsored links
giballi
210 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 14, 2014 13:43 |  #197

Question,

I noticed my new eos M has a hairline mark in the LCD plastic screen, so it's not in the actual screen but on the touch plastic and not really noticeable unless you run your fingernail on it sideways then I can feel it. Do they sell replacement screen covers for the back? Or would you not worry about it? I don't want it to get to where it damages the LCD because it's pristine. The touch function is working perfectly as well. Thanks!

Abu ­ Mahendra
368 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 14, 2014 23:20 |  #198
bannedPermanent ban

low5530 wrote in post #17212116 (external link)
Ok maybe I should explain why I'm asking this. It may not have anything to do with the original topic but maybe someone else will find this useful. My goal is that I am looking for a way to transer selected images from the eos m camera to my phone for quick edit and imediate upload to social media. That being said the eyefi mobi card only alows transfer of jpeg files which is fine but... It will automatically transfer all jpeg files that are on the card no matter what, even ones you do not want. This is a problem as I do not want to store hundreds or thousands of jpegs on my phone which has limited storage space. So the work around Im trying to figure out is that I would like to be able to just shoot the EOS M in RAW only then select and convert a single raw file to jpeg for transfering to phone (thus selecting which photo I want to transfer). Is there a way to make this work?

1. Shoot with a Mini SD card with an SD adapter
2. Take out the Mini SD card out of the SD adapter
3. Insert it into card slot of the mobile device
4. Open and convert RAW with RAWDroid app

JDeluis
124 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 15, 2014 01:39 |  #199

low5530 wrote in post #17212116 (external link)

Unfortunately no. I'm also using Mobi Eyefi card and have to shoot RAW + JPG(Large) to be able to transfer photos to my iPhone.

The camera only allows you to convert RAW to JPG if you convert it from the Creative Filters menu. So there is no way of converting a RAW file to an unprocessed JPG within the camera.

It would be great if it was setup like my 7D that has the option of letting you shoot RAW + JPG(Small, medium, large) or convert RAW to JPG. I wonder if it could be added with a firmware upgrade, but I doubt Canon would bother in adding it.

Flickr Photostream (external link)

low5530
85 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 15, 2014 07:52 |  #200

Abu Mahendra wrote in post #17213473 (external link)
1. Shoot with a Mini SD card with an SD adapter
2. Take out the Mini SD card out of the SD adapter
3. Insert it into card slot of the mobile device
4. Open and convert RAW with RAWDroid app

Thanks for the response. Im not sure how often I would actual use this method though considering to get to my Galaxy Note 2's mini sd card I have to take the case off(otter box) then take the back off the phone just to put the card in. Yes it will work however not exactly practical. The application I envision is taking a photo then wirelessly transmit the selected image to phone quickly for sharing.

Canon 5d mark I, Canon 60d gripped, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART, Rode videomic, Glidegear

SouthGalInSF
96 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 15, 2014 08:02 as a reply to  @ low5530's post |  #201

Could you use an OTG device (external link) to read your SD card from your Droid and then select the files you want from there? I don't have an Android device but did some research for my friends that were taking a cruise to Australia recently. I found the info at Android Central if I recall correctly.

70D | 40D | EOS M | 17-55 IS 2.8 | 70-300 4-5.6 L IS| 50 1.8 II | 55-250 IS | 100 2.8 Macro (non L) |
EFM 18-55 | EFM 22 f/2 | 430EX II

low5530
85 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 15, 2014 08:13 |  #202

SouthGalInSF wrote in post #17213903 (external link)
Could you use an OTG device (external link) to read your SD card from your Droid and then select the files you want from there? I don't have an Android device but did some research for my friends that were taking a cruise to Australia recently. I found the info at Android Central if I recall correctly.

Thanks for reply. I have heard of those. But truthfully I bought the EOS M because its small and when Im out of the house shooting with it I will only have the camera 22mm pancake lens with me. I would rather not carry something like that around all the time because my camera bag for the eos m is simply a pouch that holds nothing else (lowepro dashboard 20). Although im glad you mentioned it and it is definately a very good cheap option that you could keep in your car or watever. I will probably pick one of these up just for that purpose.

Abu ­ Mahendra
368 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 15, 2014 08:19 |  #203
bannedPermanent ban

An OTG MicroUSB to USB cable weighs literally grams. That and an SD card reader is something you can easily and comfortably carry in your pocket.

low5530
85 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 15, 2014 08:22 |  #204

Abu Mahendra wrote in post #17213924 (external link)
An OTG MicroUSB to USB cable weighs literally grams. That and an SD card reader is something you can easily and comfortably carry in your pocket.

o wow cool. on that same note is there not some cord to directly connect the camera to the phone for transfer without even taking the card out? Basically using the camera itself as the card reader?

SouthGalInSF
96 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 15, 2014 12:50 as a reply to  @ low5530's post |  #205

You could try this cable (external link).

70D | 40D | EOS M | 17-55 IS 2.8 | 70-300 4-5.6 L IS| 50 1.8 II | 55-250 IS | 100 2.8 Macro (non L) |
EFM 18-55 | EFM 22 f/2 | 430EX II

geoffM
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 15, 2014 12:55 |  #206

Abu Mahendra wrote in post #17132537 (external link)
The 55-250STM focuses very fast on the M. In fact, the 22f2 is the slowest focusing M lens.

Of course, the 11-22 is possibly the top UW zoom lens for Canon APS-C.

Funny to see how the M has rebounded. Nine months ago the mere mention of the M around here would elicit nothing but guffaws. Like Malveaux, i too own FF and two APS-C DSLRS, but the M is my most used camera.

Could have to do with current pricing. :) That's why I bought mine (with the 22mm) (added 18-55, at $110 a no-brainer). My first Canon (I also shoot Panasonic and Sony).
Very please with Canon colors and the M's IQ.

geoffM
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 15, 2014 13:06 |  #207

BlakeC wrote in post #17131464 (external link)
I posted a thread before asking for input on a pancake "wide" lens for a crop sensor. Someone mentioned the EOS M with the 22mm lens kit.

I like my T3 but it is not exactly "compact." I was looking for a lens under $300 but it looks like I could get the EOS M with the 22mm for under that! I would be using it to carry around as a "just in case" camera; for when I am not going out to shoot but still want to be prepared for those moments when I wish I had it!

Any thoughts?

In lieu of a built-in VF (if this is important to you), I have two suggestions: 1) for the 22mm lens, Olympus's OVF model VF-1, made for their 17mm prime (equates to 34mm). You can find them used for as little as $50 US. 2) and this is what I have done: the hot shoe mount Clearviewer (clearviewer.com). When the lens housing is folded down, it is rigid and makes for a solid contact point against the eye, for stability. The Clearviewer turns the LCD into an EVF, and can be used for all lenses. There is more than adequate space between the LCD and the eye piece for using the LCD's touch controls. The other advantage is that when inserted into the hot shoe, it prevents your body from accidently making contact with the touch screen while you walk. I have no financial interest in the Clearviewer; I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Abu ­ Mahendra
368 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 15, 2014 18:16 |  #208
bannedPermanent ban

geoffM wrote in post #17214453 (external link)
Could have to do with current pricing. :) That's why I bought mine (with the 22mm) (added 18-55, at $110 a no-brainer). My first Canon (I also shoot Panasonic and Sony).
Very please with Canon colors and the M's IQ.

Doubt it. Nine months ago the M was already discounted, and you couldn't talk about ithere without getting laughed at.. It had more to do with the stigma associated with a discounted camera, the initial reviews, but most of all due to the ignorance and resistance to new things of many who dismissed the camera outright without ever having touched it.

Abu ­ Mahendra
368 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 15, 2014 18:20 |  #209
bannedPermanent ban

low5530 wrote in post #17213932 (external link)
o wow cool. on that same note is there not some cord to directly connect the camera to the phone for transfer without even taking the card out? Basically using the camera itself as the card reader?

I recall trying this out, and not working, but it could be due to the fact that the cable was not OTG. Give it a try.

I use 3G/LTE versions of tablets as my phone. (The Samsung Tab S 8.4" is the top android phablet out there today. Gorgeous device.) They, unlike phones, have readily accessible SIM and memory card access slots. No need to open them up.

speedync
Goldmember
1,408 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 15, 2014 18:28 |  #210

Abu Mahendra wrote in post #17215008 (external link)
Doubt it. Nine months ago the M was already discounted, and you couldn't talk about ithere without getting laughed at.. It had more to do with the stigma associated with a discounted camera, the initial reviews, but most of all due to the ignorance and resistance to new things of many who dismissed the camera outright without ever having touched it.

There's probably a bit of both as to why. The thing that surprises me, is that Canon, a very very good marketing company, has not, or did not release any information or details on how to best use the M. I think many Canon owners thought it was just a mini DSLR, & tried to use it accordingly. Of course, the M resists this, & will frustrate you. Badly. I know it did me.
But if you sit back, relax, & let the camera do the work for you, by using face detect, touch focus & touch shutter, all of a sudden you realize & understand where Canon was going with it. Only my views however.

sponsored links

39,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS M w 22mm lens for compact walkaround camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.