Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Oct 2014 (Sunday) 11:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

using grip - awkward in portrait position?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 12, 2014 11:11 |  #1

I got an aftermarket grip for my 5D. Although I haven't used it extensively, I've noticed it feeling weird. I think mostly it's because the viewfinder is off-center. When in portrait I have to have my hands held higher up relative to body/eye level

Is this just something you adjust to? I sort of imagined it feeling more comfortable than it does!

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 12, 2014 12:32 |  #2

Are you saying you can't get used to it being off center because of the grip? It's the same no matter if you have a grip or not.

Yeah, you get used to it pretty fast. Don't let it get to you and think what you are shooting.

Are you holding the grip right? I found it much easier than without a grip. Your hand should still be at your side with a grip vs. no grip where your elbow is floating in the air.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 12, 2014 12:44 |  #3

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #17208735 (external link)
Are you saying you can't get used to it being off center because of the grip? It's the same no matter if you have a grip or not.

Yeah, you get used to it pretty fast. Don't let it get to you and think what you are shooting.

Are you holding the grip right? I found it much easier than without a grip. Your hand should still be at your side with a grip vs. no grip where your elbow is floating in the air.

Yeah, I think it's mainly that (at least it feels) when you shoot standard your hand is basically in line with your nose, but then when you go vertical you have to hold it basically at your forehead.. just feels very different to me, I guess.

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 13, 2014 02:12 |  #4

My grip on a 7D has an extra shutter button and index finger controls so my hands are in the same position, portrait or landscape.

I thought all grips would be like that (?)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 14, 2014 06:58 |  #5

It's one of the reasons I don't use a grip. I just carry an extra battery. I've never needed it as I put in a new battery each day anyway. Never saw the need for a grip, the camera is heavy enough as it is.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 14, 2014 09:53 |  #6

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #17208639 (external link)
I got an aftermarket grip for my 5D. Although I haven't used it extensively, I've noticed it feeling weird. I think mostly it's because the viewfinder is off-center. When in portrait I have to have my hands held higher up relative to body/eye level

Is this just something you adjust to? I sort of imagined it feeling more comfortable than it does!

Having used after market vertical battery grips with three Canon DSLR's - the XTi, T2i and 60D, I've never had the slightest problem with the grips. The right hand wraps around the grip, the index finger finds the shutter button, and the left hand holds the lens and operates the lens' framing ring.

From the start, the experience of using a grip has been like second nature. Now, what may have made a difference for me is that I also was used to operating cameras in portrait mode without a grip, and found that the vertical release button was more convenient than the usual shutter button.

And, photographing dozens of basketball games each season with a camera in portrait mode helps you get used to vertical grips. I was so busy tracking the action that I didn't pay attention to the grip.

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 14, 2014 10:08 |  #7

I have 3 cams, all gripped, and can't at all understand what the OP's issue is. I'd much prefer a gripped cam when shooting portrait.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

qdrummer21
121 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 14, 2014 15:53 |  #8

OP,

Even with a grip you're hand position relative to your face is going to change in portrait vs. landscape. This is because the axis that you are rotating the camera on isn't positioned at the center of the camera or down the length of the lens where you would expect it to be. You're actually rotating the camera around the viewfinder as the axis.

What the grip does is minimize the amount of change by allowing you to stay gripping the right side of the body rather than the top when in portrait mode. You'll get use to it quick enough, I'm actually surprised you picked up on such a small difference I never really even noticed it until I read your post and started thinking about what you were describing.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 14, 2014 15:58 |  #9

Agreed your hand might be a bit higher using the grip but its preferable to having to raise your elbow and twist your wrist without a grip in portrait orientation.

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 15, 2014 05:54 |  #10

tvphotog wrote in post #17211871 (external link)
It's one of the reasons I don't use a grip. I just carry an extra battery. I've never needed it as I put in a new battery each day anyway. Never saw the need for a grip, the camera is heavy enough as it is.

I agree! never saw a need as my batteries seem to last forever. And I always carry a charged spare or two... just in case. I can shoot 1000 shots and have my camera ON for 3 hours straight and still have power left for a couple more days. And I don't shoot as many vertical shots either.

Working event pro... sure makes sense to grip. T3 owner.... wants to look pro. ;)

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 15, 2014 10:13 |  #11

Shane W wrote in post #17213770 (external link)
I agree! never saw a need as my batteries seem to last forever. And I always carry a charged spare or two... just in case. I can shoot 1000 shots and have my camera ON for 3 hours straight and still have power left for a couple more days. And I don't shoot as many vertical shots either.

Working event pro... sure makes sense to grip. T3 owner.... wants to look pro. ;)

I gripped my T3 and it was NOT to look like a pro. It was so I could shoot in Portrait mode easier. I alwasy keep both batteries in the grip, however again battery life was not the reason I went with a grip. It was so I did not have to twist my hand and raise my elbow to shoot portrait.

yslee
34 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 15, 2014 10:26 |  #12

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #17208639 (external link)

Yes, you're not wrong, which is why one of the neat things about the Minolta (now Sony) battery grips is that they place the vertical shutter button so it'd be in a very similar position relative to your head level when you're in portrait orientation.

qdrummer21
121 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 15, 2014 11:27 |  #13

Shane W wrote in post #17213770 (external link)

I'm not a working pro and own an XSI. How I look had nothing to do with me picking up a grip. I enjoy shooting sports and airshows and when doing so tend to spend a good portion of the day shooting in portrait mode. I'm sorry to say but whether I'm getting paid or not has nothing to do with how comfortable I am in these scenarios. :)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 15, 2014 14:08 |  #14

For people with large hands a grip makes sense on a rebel.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 15, 2014 16:48 |  #15

As others have mentioned, I bought a grip so my hand is not on top of the camera when shooting portrait.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sponsored links

2,560 views & 0 likes for this thread
using grip - awkward in portrait position?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.