Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 11:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II ?

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,106 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2014 11:50 |  #1

What is with the cryptic title and description here. Is this simply " Face Detection " ?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 15, 2014 11:57 |  #2

...the EOS-1D X can tie in its 100,000 pixel RGB metering sensor to the AF system and read where a subject is based on its color, size and shape, and “tell” the AF system which AF points to use as the subject moves around the frame. This is called EOS iTR — Intelligent Tracking and Recognition.

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …/2012/1dx_guide​book.shtml (external link)

Joel

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 15, 2014 12:01 |  #3

mrgooch wrote in post #17214288 (external link)
What is with the cryptic title and description here. Is this simply " Face Detection " ?

I see what you did there.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

mrgooch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,106 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2014 12:32 |  #4

Still very confusing to me . Can you explain in simpler terms? Wouldn't this be something you would always leave on?

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 15, 2014 12:45 as a reply to  @ mrgooch's post |  #5

Ouch, that's what the guidebook was written to accomplish!

Anyway, when using many AF points, specifically Zone AF or all points in One Shot AF mode, the iTR system will add face detection information to the decision the camera makes, when it decides which AF point to use.

In Servo AF mode, the camera always start tracking with one selected AF point. If that point suddenly no longer has any subject in focus, because the photographer wasn't able to keep the point over the subject, the traditional method is to check if another AF points is in or near focus. If so, it's likely that this point is now covering the subject, so tracking is handed over to the new point.
iTR adds informaton about which color the subject under the primary AF point had when tracking started, and checks if it finds this color under some other AF point, when the primary one looses track. If the subject has a distinctive color, like a hot pink shirt against bushes or a yellow team suit agains hockey ice, this increases the proability that tracking is handed over to the right AF point.

The extra processing this requires may slow the camera's sequential shooting speed down a bit. In One Shot AF mode, it's not always you'd like the camera to scout for faces. So there are reasons for turning iTR off, but in many cases you can leave it on. I have it on almost always, since in these cases where I wouldn't want it to interfere, I usually use neither zone nor all points AF. Hence it's not active anyway.

Anders

mrgooch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,106 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2014 12:51 |  #6

Much clearer definition. You must have been to a seminar.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 15, 2014 14:07 as a reply to  @ mrgooch's post |  #7

Nope. But I've read the manual.

Anders

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,070 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 15, 2014 14:14 |  #8

apersson850 wrote in post #17214561 (external link)
Nope. But I've read the manual.

After spending the night at a Holiday Inn.:D

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links

1,439 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Mark II ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.