Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 06:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazing !!

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 16, 2014 14:42 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

ksbal wrote in post #17216102 (external link)
All the bickering and back and forth on sensors and I've never seen it put like this before.

This makes me feel much better about sticking with Canon (as I've invested in glass here) and knowing the photographer makes the image, and not the camera. Knowing the limitations, and dealing with them is what being a photographer is all about.

Thanks Alan! :)

But wouldn't things be better if you didn't have those limitations? Why accept them.

You should be asking (or demanding) Canon to step up. Not just be an apologist for them

sponsored links
ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 16, 2014 15:23 |  #47

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #17216623 (external link)
But wouldn't things be better if you didn't have those limitations? Why accept them.

You should be asking (or demanding) Canon to step up. Not just be an apologist for them

Excuse me? I didn't apologize for Canon. We accept limitations no matter what the camera is we choose to buy. Why are you wanking on me for feeling better about Canon's sensor?

Sorry to piss in your cheerios this morning. Maybe tomorrow you can sell everything and be Nikonvstheworld.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 16, 2014 15:26 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

Sounds like you're the one getting pissed on. I'm just making an observation. You ACCEPT Canon's inferior sensor

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 16, 2014 16:08 |  #49

I think what Gabe suggested is important. The whole system matters when choosing a brand for your camera gear. Then you add in what types of photography you shoot and make a decision.

If landscapes are your thing and that is most of what you shoot, I can see choosing Nikon at this point. Several photographers here who have won my respect have switched from Canon to Nikon and are very happy. Personally, I'm satisfied with the results I'm getting with my Canon gear but I don't push the DR limits. I shoot mostly wildlife (more birds than anything else). When I do shoot landscapes (sunrises and sunsets for the most part), I've been happy with the results, even though I'm using a crop camera but I'm not a professional and have no desire to work into selling my stuff.

Anyway, both Canon and Nikon are excellent suppliers for photo gear these days and a few other companies are making strides as well. I guess I don't understand the "war" here. If you are happy with the results you are getting, isn't that the main thing?

As far as "forcing" Canon or Nikon to do anything, I suspect that is beyond our capability. I would guess Canon is fully aware of the strides Nikon has made over the past few years and will address it as time goes on. If not...... can you say "Kodak"? Competition is good for the consumer.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 16, 2014 18:54 |  #50

AJSJones wrote in post #17215610 (external link)
If the scene dynamic range is 15 stops and your camera can only record 11 stops, what's the "proper" exposure?
:D

let me know if that makes you a better photographer

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 16, 2014 18:58 |  #51

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #17216682 (external link)
Sounds like you're the one getting pissed on. I'm just making an observation. You ACCEPT Canon's inferior sensor

Which is better depends on what you use it for. For my style of photography, Canon's is superior.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 16, 2014 19:08 |  #52

The main reason why Sony sensors get so much negativity here is because all of the exmor cheerleaders love to parrot how awesome it is repeatedly in every thread even though the topic is relevant. We all know that they make better sensors. That information is already 2 years old and when its the only think you read about in a canon forum, it gets annoying and old fast. A lot of exmor cheerleaders tend to gush on just the sensor and ignore everything else about the process of, you know, taking pictures and just can't help but bring it up all the time.

Threads like this a big example of the internet echo chamber that doesn't even belong in this sub forum.

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 16, 2014 20:06 |  #53

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #17216682 (external link)

His point (which you clearly didn't read) was that it isn't inferior for what he uses it for... at higher ISO the Canon sensors are as good or better than anything else on the market, period.

Also, I've posted this before, but I'll go ahead and do it again since it's such a clear illustration as to why I think the need for crazy amounts of DR is overblown

Original file, far underexposed, this type of shot almost never happens in my experience

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1225.photobuck​et.com …at65225PM_zpsd1​c241c1.png (external link)

And after post

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2908/14324781765_01021cf209_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nPQf​xX  (external link) IMG_7167.jpg (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

If you need more recovery than that, you're doing crazier things than me with your photography I guess...

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Joined Dec 2001

Oct 16, 2014 21:33 |  #54

panicatnabisco wrote in post #17215576 (external link)
Proper exposure, who needs that

AJSJones wrote in post #17215610 (external link)
If the scene dynamic range is 15 stops and your camera can only record 11 stops, what's the "proper" exposure?
:D

panicatnabisco wrote in post #17217006 (external link)
let me know if that makes you a better photographer

If "what" makes me a better photographer???

You missed the point entirely:( Before you can make any comment on my photography skills (or lack thereof) you need to answer the simple question of "what is the proper exposure?" when your camera, whether it's Canon, Nikon, Sony, P&S or iPhone can't record the scene properly? You have to accept either blown highlights or blocked shadows, right? Which do you choose?

My picture galleries (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,191 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 16, 2014 21:36 |  #55

I did this just now to test out. Shot in raw, pushed exposure up 2, then went to curves and pushed up yet more, probably 3 stops or so in total? Lots of noise, but strangely nothing in the way of banding. Cleaned up a bit of noise, here are the results. That is more than I would ever need for what I shoot, so I don't care about what Nikon/Sony can do. However as I own Sony stock, please buy up Sony products, and help me out. :)

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Electronics/7D-vs-5D3/i-bXLxFfk/0/O/5P1B1363a.gif

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 16, 2014 21:58 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17217118 (external link)
His point (which you clearly didn't read) was that it isn't inferior for what he uses it for... at higher ISO the Canon sensors are as good or better than anything else on the market, period.

Also, I've posted this before, but I'll go ahead and do it again since it's such a clear illustration as to why I think the need for crazy amounts of DR is overblown

Original file, far underexposed, this type of shot almost never happens in my experience

QUOTED IMAGE

And after post

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nPQf​xX  (external link) IMG_7167.jpg (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

If you need more recovery than that, you're doing crazier things than me with your photography I guess...

Like I said, it's better to have it and not need it than not have it when you need it. Like a 600hp car. Yeah it's overkill but boy is it nice to have it available when you need it

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 16, 2014 23:43 |  #57

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #17217315 (external link)
Like I said, it's better to have it and not need it than not have it when you need it. Like a 600hp car. Yeah it's overkill but boy is it nice to have it available when you need it

That's a horrible analogy for a myriad of reasons... but I get your argument ;)

All I'm saying is that it's not worth jumping ship for for 95% of shooters or more, and for sure not worth the constant internet whining about Canon's cameras, I happen to like my Canon gear very much and the majority of other Canon users do as well ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 17, 2014 05:37 |  #58

AJSJones wrote in post #17217283 (external link)
If "what" makes me a better photographer???

You missed the point entirely:( Before you can make any comment on my photography skills (or lack thereof) you need to answer the simple question of "what is the proper exposure?" when your camera, whether it's Canon, Nikon, Sony, P&S or iPhone can't record the scene properly? You have to accept either blown highlights or blocked shadows, right? Which do you choose?

I'll answer your question, the proper exposure in this case will be scene dependant. In all probability I might end up blocking up the very deepest shadows, and blowing the brightest highlights, but I would only really be able to make a decision based on looking at the scene and what I feel is important.

For example in many of my aviation images, I can quite happily let the sky in the background blow out, especially if it has very little detail to start with. I can fix that in post quite often by simply adding a layer with a blue grad dropped across it in darken blend mode, with a layer mask for the actual aircraft. Takes me about half an hour to do a good job of the masking.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 17, 2014 07:10 |  #59

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17217289 (external link)
I did this just now to test out. Shot in raw, pushed exposure up 2, then went to curves and pushed up yet more, probably 3 stops or so in total? Lots of noise, but strangely nothing in the way of banding. Cleaned up a bit of noise, here are the results. That is more than I would ever need for what I shoot, so I don't care about what Nikon/Sony can do. However as I own Sony stock, please buy up Sony products, and help me out. :)

Which body was this, the 5D3?

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Joined Dec 2001

Oct 17, 2014 09:20 |  #60

BigAl007 wrote in post #17217693 (external link)
I'll answer your question, the proper exposure in this case will be scene dependant. In all probability I might end up blocking up the very deepest shadows, and blowing the brightest highlights, but I would only really be able to make a decision based on looking at the scene and what I feel is important.

Alan

Thanks Alan. It was more of a rhetorical question, based on exactly the points you emphasize. Often you neeed to "sacrifice" some part in order to get the part you really want, because the camera/film/sensor you have can't get it all. We've all lived with this for years and had to make those decisions on what to keep and what to sacrifice. I used to use slide film and chose to live with the lower DR because of the immediacy of slides when viewed with a loupe or projector, even though negative film had more DR.

I was just responding to a comment that implied that "if you think the extra DR might be useful, you don't know how to get the mythical "proper exposure" - obviously a ludicrous argument. As you desribe, the "proper exposure" is often one in which you make the sacrifice in the less important part of the image. The extra DR just means you make less of a sacrifice in those situations where the image you are capturing has important highlights and shadows.

My picture galleries (external link)

sponsored links

7,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazing !!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.