Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 30 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 12:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first engagement shoot

slookx24
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Sep 30, 2014 12:40 |  #1

A family friend of mine asked me to shoot her engagement photos a couple weeks ago. I really want to get into shooting engagements, so I gladly agreed to do it. I was super nervous, even for having known them for over 12 years. We shot only 1 location with no outfit change, so I only managed to give them about 15 shots. It was extra challenging because they're not really a lovey dovey couple that displays much affection in public. But I think I managed some ok shots. These are a few...please comment and critique!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
Paula+Greg Engagement-1 (external link) by nshtnnrng (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
Paula+Greg Engagement-3 (external link) by nshtnnrng (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Paula+Greg Engagement-4 (external link) by nshtnnrng (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Paula+Greg Engagement-8 (external link) by nshtnnrng (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Paula+Greg Engagement-9 (external link) by nshtnnrng (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3914/15161814067_bdd3785bfe_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/p6Ng​6n  (external link) Paula+Greg Engagement-13 (external link) by nshtnnrng (external link), on Flickr

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 30, 2014 12:43 |  #2

I like #4. A nice natural look.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Aer
54 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 17, 2014 03:04 |  #3

1. He has a weird expression on his face, is out of focus, and has his arm hidden behind the rocks. I think he should be in focus too and should be looking at either the bride or into the camera.

2. This one is very strange. He's in the foreground but he has a really weird facial expression and is completely out of focus. It's like the bride just snuck up behind him, clawed his shoulder, and said "gotcha!" His body is also cut off on the left side. I'd put them both in focus, have him look into the camera like the bride, and pull back a bit so it's not so tight. Also, this looks a little dark to me, would brighten it in PP.

3. I think it's an ok shot, in focus, but it looks cropped like the pic dimensions aren't of a regular photo (too wide).

4. I like this one the most. It would be better if he could smile or look at the bride.

5. I think this has nice composition but the couple is too dark. An off camera flash might have been a good idea.

6. He looks like he's hot and wants to take his shirt off. I don't know. The girl had way better poses/facial expressions in all of the photos.

disclaimer: I'm not a professional photographer and really know very little so take it all with a bucket of salt.

Canon EOS Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55mm IS | 55-250mm IS | 50mm f/1.8 II

LucasCK
352 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 17, 2014 04:24 as a reply to  @ Aer's post |  #4

All of them seem too brown and the couple under exposed.

I think you are going too much for a GQ/high fashion style of posing. Get the basic, simple shots, they are often the best and most cherished.

You should also be able to deliver more than just 15. Set up the pose, get a range of different compositions, expressions, angles etc. Even if some of them dont work, its better to try and expand your horizons, cull the crap and end up giving more photos to the clients.

5d4, 2x6d, 5d2, 24-70L II, Sigma 35A 1.4, Canon 70-200 2.8L II, 135 2.0L, 430ex2, 600ex-rt
http://www.lucaskrausp​hotography.com (external link)
http://www.lucaskrausp​hotography.com …ane-wedding-photographer/ (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,040 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first engagement shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.