Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 16:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help in choosing a memory card for 60D?

coatfetish
72 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 16, 2014 16:26 |  #1

Hey there,
Thanks in advance for any help that might get tossed my way! My question is in regard to the memory card for a 60D. I will be purchasing a 60D next week and have a question about what card to get. I trust the owner of my local photo store to help me choose but wanted more input. When I called to ask about the card I'd have to buy to go with the camera (I'm on a very, very tight budget) he said he carries "one of the better brands", but not which one. Guess I'll find out when I pick up my camera, but I don't know one brand from another. He said I wouldn't need anything over 16GB unless I wanted to take videos, which I do. He said the 32GB was around $95.00, and the 64GB was about $129.00, I can't remember the exact dollar amount he quoted. I have to admit I was a bit shocked! So, do you think I should spend the extra on the 64GB, or would a 32GB suffice? What kind of things should I be looking for in a memory card?

I use an 8 GB Delkin CompactFlash PRO for my 50D (which I also bought from the same seller some years ago) and even though the 50D doesn't record video, I've never come remotely close to filling the card, rarely taking more than 300 - 400 pics at a time. So will a 32GB be ok for the 60D? Does video eat up a ton of memory?
Thanks for any help with my newbie question!

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 16, 2014 16:47 |  #2

I bought one of these when I got my 70D: http://www.amazon.com/​gp/product/B007NDL56A/ (external link)

Neither of us needs the 95MBs for our cameras but it will download the photographs a bit more quickly to your computer.

That's about half the price your camera shop quoted.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 16, 2014 20:49 |  #3

For video, every about 12 minutes, it is 4GB. So if you shoot alot of video, you want to have big card.

I don't know what brand your shop is selling, but 32GB card for $95 is ridiculously expansive. If you look up Sandisk ExtremePro 32GB SD on Amazon, it is about $45 only, and it is faster than you camera need.

300-400 picture at a time, 32GB is good enough. I would say get Sandisk extreme (45W/45R) 32GB. They are less than $30 from Amazon. Or if budge allow, go to 64GB Extreme. I think at this price point, it is a sweet spot. No reason spending more money to Extreme Plus or Extreme Pro grade. If budget is tight, even Ultra grade card will do OK. But Extreme grade is a lot reliable than Ultra grade

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 16, 2014 20:51 |  #4

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17216827 (external link)
I bought one of these when I got my 70D: http://www.amazon.com/​gp/product/B007NDL56A/ (external link)

Neither of us needs the 95MBs for our cameras but it will download the photographs a bit more quickly to your computer.

That's about half the price your camera shop quoted.

Only if you are on USB3.0 and with card reader that support UHS-1 mode.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 16, 2014 21:56 |  #5

eelnoraa wrote in post #17217176 (external link)
Only if you are on USB3.0 and with card reader that support UHS-1 mode.

Thanks for adding that. I forget that my laptop is newer than some and has USB3.0 and my card reader does as well.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

coatfetish
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 17, 2014 11:24 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #6

Thanks, everybody!
eelnoraa, the info on how many GB 12 minutes of video uses was especially helpful. I don't plan on doing a lot of video, mainly a few short bits while I'm out hiking to show my friends back home what it looks like where I live now. I think a 32GB will be more than enough. When I can afford a bigger card next month, then I can get one if I need to.

I hate not buying a card from him because I love to support local shops, and he's been very attentive to me in a non-pushy sales way (I work in retail so I get it). But I really can't swing a $100+ card at this time. A $30 - $50 card fits my budget nicely, and will be fine while I learn the ins & outs of using the camera. Thank you again! You've all been a great help to me!

coatfetish
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 17, 2014 12:12 |  #7

So, I bought this at Amazon;

SanDisk 64GB Extreme U3/UHS-I SDXC with up to 60MB/s Read; 40MB/s Write (SDSDXN-064G-G46) [Newest Version]

One of the reviewers is using it in his 60D, and loves it. Thanks folks!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,791 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 18, 2014 06:30 |  #8

coatfetish wrote in post #17216791 (external link)
Hey there,
I trust the owner of my local photo store to help me choose but wanted more input.

That as you have learned was likely a mistake. Photo stores often carry off brands (often counterfeit) and even if they do carry name brands they sell as MSRP which is often quite high. What I suggest you do in the future is just watch the box store ads (like Best Buy) and buy good quality cards. They will often go for about US$1 per gig. Stores like Best Buy, becuase they buy thousands of cards at a time, source their cards directly with the importer (Sandask, Lexar, PNY, etc.) and leave the middleman out of the chain. This gives you lower prices and more importantly minimizes the risk of a counterfiet card.

You also perhaps missed the point put forth by "ellnoraa" at the recommendation to buy a 32 GB card. I shot RAW + JPG on my 60D and get (as I recall) about 500 images on 32 GB. So you will have, if you also shoot RAW+JPG, the capability of over 1000 images. That's a lot to manage and even more to loose if the card gets corrupted for some reason. IMHO, your money would have been better spent on two 32 GB cards.

On video storage...even with the larger/faster card be advised that there is a single clip limit of 4 GB file size, at which time the camera will stop recording. You can again immediately start the camera recording once that limit is reached. That isn't a camera limitation, it is a computer limitation as the FAT32 file system used by the SD card only recognizes up to a 4 GB file. There is also a limit for a single video clip based on sensor temperature. From a Canon manual, "the maximum recording time of one movie clip is 29 min. 59 sec. Depending on the subject and the increase in the camera's internal temperature, the movie shooting might stop sooner than 29 min. 59 sec." The time limitation again is not ultimately imposed by the camera. It comes from a legal definition of "still" vs. "video" as far as the product and how duties are imposed when the product is shipped and sold around the world. Obviously a slow card will not work for a 29 min plus video clip. Lastly, there is a limit imposed internal to the camera and that is the sensor temperature. On my 60D I have only had that occur once, and that was taking numerous 1 to 2 minutes back to back clips, with about 10 seconds between clips, and on a very hot July or August day. The camera gave me a hot sensor warning after about an hour. So there are really three limits you can hit, one, the file size limit of 4 GB, two, the 29 min 59 seconds limitation imposed legally, and three, a sensor temperature issue that might also be reached in some rare circumstance.

Resolution has an impact on these factors as well. Obviously if you do video in the highest possible resolution you will reach the 4 GB limit quicker than if you use the lowest resolution.

More details on this as a function of movie quality mode setting are on page 181 of the English 60D manual which can be downloaded in advance of the arrival of your camera.

Once you get your camera, sit down in front of a PC and go through the video tutorials done by Canon and specific to the 60D at http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …s/eos_60d_tutor​ials.shtml (external link). They are quite well done and you will learn a lot about the various features. The tutorials can also be put on an 8GB card and you can watch them "in-camera".

coatfetish
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 18, 2014 07:26 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #9

Thanks, John From PA ~

I knew about two of the video limitations, but had never heard of the internal temperature sensor. I'm so glad you alerted me to that in advance - had it popped up on my camera prior to my learning about it, I would have freaked!

I never thought about using multiple, smaller GB cards. I've used the same card in my 50D since I bought it 5.5 yrs ago. Since I mostly take photos for landscape art reference, I wouldn't lose anything of importance (other than the money invested) should the card get corrupted. Needless to say, I still hope I never experience that. But the lesson that is the benefit to multiple cards has been learned. I'll buy a 32GB back-up card next month.

I also bookmarked the link, thank you. It will be a huge help. I've also saved a bunch of YouTube vids on the 60D. I start a vacation today, and I'm going to start reading up on the camera before I get it. I hope to seriously shorten my learning curve with it, haha.

As for buying the card and other things from the local store owner; it's like trying to balance on a see-saw. Quality vs. price. I've worked for 15 yrs at the biggest Big Box store (which I will not name based on what I might say about it) and even though pays the bills, it pains me to see the mom & pop store go under. If I can afford to, I support independent stores, providing they're not outrageously expensive. If I wasn't on such a tight budget this pay period, I'd probably have bought the higher priced card from the local guy. Foolish? Maybe, but I'd feel better. I can't speak for other Big Box stores, but we often buy lesser quality goods, made especially for us. We buy B grade local produce while a top grocery chain next door buys the A grade, yet we sell it at the same price. The amount of returns we get in electronics is rather high. Seeing this first hand has made me leery about Big Box shopping. I realize I have no idea what or where the local seller buys from, so maybe my issue is just that I don't want to see the "little guy" disappear altogether. I knew right off the bat that he wouldn't tell me the card brand over the phone because he didn't want me comparing prices. Like I said, see-saw. Sorry for the long ramble!

Again, thanks for the link to more info and the idea of multiple, smaller cards. Everyone has been quite helpful!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,791 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 18, 2014 12:44 |  #10

It used to be that you could trust the local mom & pop facilities but sadly the stores from the 1970's that had good reputations and gave good service no longer exist. We have such a shop here in Philadelphia, actually it is family owned and about 5 stores in the area. But what they do is come close if not match the price on the camera, then kill you on the accessories. In one of those stores, and about two years ago I stood next to a guy paying just the short side of $100 for a 16 GB SD card and it was a brand I had never even heard of. I really wanted to say something but kept my mouth shut.

sponsored links

1,462 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help in choosing a memory card for 60D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.