Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Oct 2014 (Saturday) 00:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone else new to film?

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 18, 2014 00:15 |  #1

So I am 35 and have never experienced shooting film. I am a product of the digital age I guess. Anyways As a way to reinvigorate my photography I decided to buy a film camera off of eBay (canon a-1 with 35mm f2.8 lens for $90). I figure it's not a huge investment to start and it will give me a way to really focus on what I shoot.

So I am pretty excited to get my toy.

Has anyone else recently tried shooting film? How's it going so far?

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2014 00:56 |  #2

Good luck with the A1. It was was my first new camera and was a technical marvel back in 1979.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 18, 2014 08:38 |  #3

You can really focus on what you shoot with digital too. Just don't take photos You know you'll delete.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2014 09:48 |  #4

The fact that uou only have 24/36 shots per roll, you are stuck with one ISO and one white balance will make you appreciate the flexibility of digital.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 18, 2014 10:17 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Check out this thread if you haven't.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=722089

Your film shots are only as good as the lab which could process and scan the films. So, find a good, reputable lab. There are several online ones....https://thedarkroom.co​m/ (external link)

http://www.dwaynesphot​o.com …lor-neg-processprint.html (external link)

http://www.northcoastp​hoto.com/film_developi​ng_scans.html (external link)

Some people got discouraged by film because they didn't use a good lab for the developing and scanning their films. Yes, the turn around time is a **** but hopefully you would get interested enough to process and scan your own films. That's when things would get really, really interesting...:)

Here is a great film flickr group...
https://www.flickr.com​/groups/ishootfilm/ (external link)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2014 10:21 |  #6

Too bad you arent in the midwest id give you the darkroom gear to bypass the labs

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 18, 2014 10:22 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

gonzogolf wrote in post #17219625 (external link)
The fact that uou only have 24/36 shots per roll, you are stuck with one ISO and one white balance will make you appreciate the flexibility of digital.

Or you would learn to deal with the limitations. The film speed is only an issue if you are trying to shoot in the most challenging lighting condition or trying to achieve a very, very shallow DOF during a bright sunny day. Generally, you can shoot everything with your ASA400 speed film. Your keeper ratios? I see why you may need to shoot and spray shooting sports but things like landscape and street photography? I doubt it.

Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2014 10:43 |  #8

TooManyShots wrote in post #17219684 (external link)
Or you would learn to deal with the limitations. The film speed is only an issue if you are trying to shoot in the most challenging lighting condition or trying to achieve a very, very shallow DOF during a bright sunny day. Generally, you can shoot everything with your ASA400 speed film. Your keeper ratios? I see why you may need to shoot and spray shooting sports but things like landscape and street photography? I doubt it.

I can see you never shot photojournalism on film. I dont want to sound like a cranky old guy but for you to dabble in film is good, but dont try to tell me how it is. I shot film for 25 years, I know its strengths and limitations quite well. Yes you learn how to deal with the limitations, but it was far different when those limitations are forced on a working pro than some guy dabbling in a toy project. Digital has offered up all sorts of improvements in photojournalism, wedding, and event photography because you can dial in high ISO in one room, or switch white balance on a whim.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 18, 2014 11:07 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

gonzogolf wrote in post #17219717 (external link)
I can see you never shot photojournalism on film. I dont want to sound like a cranky old guy but for you to dabble in film is good, but dont try to tell me how it is. I shot film for 25 years, I know its strengths and limitations quite well. Yes you learn how to deal with the limitations, but it was far different when those limitations are forced on a working pro than some guy dabbling in a toy project. Digital has offered up all sorts of improvements in photojournalism, wedding, and event photography because you can dial in high ISO in one room, or switch white balance on a whim.

Yeah, but today's films have advanced greatly, ironically. You can push the film speed to ASA1000 with Fuji Superia 400. Yes, I tried it. The image is usable. With Kodak Portra 400, you can even push it to asa 1600. Considering these are color films, you don't need to mess with the development time. Just process them all the same. A lot of today's films have fine grains because they have been optimized for scanning too. I have even shot with Tmax 400 at 1600 and to develop it accordingly.

Facebook (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,499 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 18, 2014 11:10 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #10

35 by 35 it is never late.

I started with film seriously at 45 :)
Last night scanned color film I developed day before at home.

And week ago I was given free FTb and purchased 28 2.8, but Vivitar.
Very impressive FD lens for $40.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 18, 2014 11:14 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

kf095 wrote in post #17219768 (external link)
35 by 35 it is never late.

I started with film seriously at 45 :)
Last night scanned color film I developed day before at home.

And week ago I was given free FTb and purchased 28 2.8, but Vivitar.
Very impressive FD lens for $40.

By chance the close focusing version?? I got one too few days ago, the close focusing version, $30. The shots look better on my D300, a 12mp body, than with my D7000, 16mp. Is obvious at 16mp, the lens couldn't keep it.

Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2014 11:17 |  #12

TooManyShots wrote in post #17219764 (external link)
Yeah, but today's films have advanced greatly, ironically. You can push the film speed to ASA1000 with Fuji Superia 400. Yes, I tried it. The image is usable. With Kodak Portra 400, you can even push it to asa 1600. Considering these are color films, you don't need to mess with the development time. Just process them all the same. A lot of today's films have fine grains because they have been optimized for scanning too. I have even shot with Tmax 400 at 1600 and to develop it accordingly.

I was pushing bw film to 3200 in 1988. But you are missing the point by focusing on film improvement. With digital I can shoot 6400 in a dark reception hall in tungsten WB, step outside shoot at 100 ISO daylight balanced, and then back into the lobby and shoot 800 under fluorescent lights with one camera. I can precisely can Balance flash snd ambient on the fly in ways film shooters could only dream about. Dabble in film, have fun, but dont tell me about how great it is unless youve lived it for real

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,499 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 18, 2014 11:28 |  #13

TooManyShots wrote in post #17219775 (external link)
By chance the close focusing version?? I got one too few days ago, the close focusing version, $30. The shots look better on my D300, a 12mp body, than with my D7000, 16mp. Is obvious at 16mp, the lens couldn't keep it.

Close focusing, wasn't it standard for this Vivitar lens. My is special RL edition.
I can't use it digitally, gives sharp results at scans. But I'm not pixel picker, just photographer...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 18, 2014 11:28 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

gonzogolf wrote in post #17219779 (external link)
I was pushing bw film to 3200 in 1988. But you are missing the point by focusing on film improvement. With digital I can shoot 6400 in a dark reception hall in tungsten WB, step outside shoot at 100 ISO daylight balanced, and then back into the lobby and shoot 800 under fluorescent lights with one camera. I can precisely can Balance flash snd ambient on the fly in ways film shooters could only dream about. Babble in film, have fun, but dont tell me about how great it is unless youve lived it for real

It does not mean film is bad. The technology wasn't available back then. Today, you see more people shooting film in fine art photography, usually in large format. I am shooting film aftering the look. I don't mind the limitations and the extra troubles you go through to develop them. If I need to run and gun my shots, I grab my Nikons and be done with.

Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 18, 2014 11:31 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

kf095 wrote in post #17219788 (external link)
Close focusing, wasn't it standard for this Vivitar lens. My is special RL edition.
I can't use it digitally, gives sharp results at scans. But I'm not pixel picker, just photographer...

I think it is the same since Vivitar has this inconsistent naming convention. Some even say that the RL has floating lens elements. Is actually a marketing gimmick..RL means extra warranty period.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

3,173 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone else new to film?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.