Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 20:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suggestions for a backup - $1k and crop sensor?

crbinson
604 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 16, 2014 03:59 |  #16

LoL...didn't mean to high-jack a thread but 9500 frames was not that hard...

There were something like 1100 participants in this triathalon. I shot from three different positions; beginning of bike, beginning of the run, and the finish line.
My job was to try and capture every athlete that came by me and typically I got 3-5 frames of each. Some only got 1-2; others that were entertaining the camera might have got 7-9 frames.
Time on the shutter was about 2 hours pretty much non-stop at each shoot location. So my actual time shooting was ~6.5 hours over the course of a day at an average rate around 25 frames a minute. (oh yeah and we were shooting small JPEG format).

I mean c'mon the 7D shoots what...10 FPS?!? I could have taken like 200,000 frames in that amount of time ;)

This is 1 of 4 galleries and it starts off with my bike photos to give an idea of what we were shooting. There were 4 photographers on the event.
http://jarandell.smugm​ug.com/Sports/Triathlo​n/RM14-G4 (external link)

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

sponsored links
fiebru1119
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 16, 2014 09:53 |  #17

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I should have added.. before the 6D my main camera was a 1DsII which I took everywhere - when I first got the 6D it felt like a toy in comparison. I also owned the 1DIII years ago. I've been leaning towards it, because of the ruggedness, the 1.3x, and I actually preferred the high ISO performance of it better than a 7D I used on projects for some time.. I have about 8 weeks before my first trip overseas, I suppose I can wait and see what the 7DII will deliver, and if it'll drive used 1DIII/7D prices down even more.

The 70D /40.2.8 is a combo I hadn't thought of, thanks! And I'm a total noob to the mirror-less world.. suppose I'll have to dive into that and research it as well.

A7RIII | EF15/2.8 FE | 16-35/4.0LIS | 24/1.4L II | ZA55/1.8 | 24-105G OSS

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 18, 2014 08:53 |  #18

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17215633 (external link)
I din't think 10k shots in a day is unrealistic, because it isn't.

I'm thinking that if you take 9500 shots you have to review 9500 shots, and if you figure 10 seconds per shot to review, you are talking about 26 hours to go through them all.

Flickr (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 18, 2014 11:30 |  #19

What's a 7DmkI? I've heard of the 7D and 7D2. Canon doesn't make mark I of cameras.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2014 11:34 |  #20

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17219792 (external link)
What's a 7DmkI? I've heard of the 7D and 7D2. Canon doesn't make mark I of cameras.

I suspect you know exactly what it means.

crbinson
604 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 18, 2014 11:47 |  #21

patrick j wrote in post #17219521 (external link)
I'm thinking that if you take 9500 shots you have to review 9500 shots, and if you figure 10 seconds per shot to review, you are talking about 26 hours to go through them all.

I probably spent 8 hours running through mine and dumping any junk. The event photographer said it took him and an assistant the better part of a week to catalog and tag the entire collection (18K+ Images) with the althete's name and bib number so the athletes could search for them.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,584 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 18, 2014 12:37 |  #22

Let's be a little more snobby next time... :rolleyes:

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 18, 2014 14:00 as a reply to  @ post 17215323 |  #23

How does one shoot 9500 shots in a day?....

You've apparently never shot a busy equestrian event. I regularly shoot between 3500 and 4500 a day at dressage shows (more than at other types of horse shows) and I try to keep it to a minimum. (Because I hate sitting at my computer editing shots, so I only shoot single images or very short bursts. I can quick edit/proof about 1200 images a day, via Lightroom, on average.) 10 or 12 or more hours of practically non-stop shooting. I've seen other, less conservative photographers shoot over 10,000 images in a day at those sorts of events :roll:. I don't envy them.

OP, my first choice for a backup camera is always the same model, so another 6D in your case. That's easiest to switch back and forth between them, which can be important if using two cameras at the same time. My third camera is a different format, for the advantages that offers.

However, it appears you want the different format and won't necessarily be using both cameras side-by-side. In that case, I'd recommend one or the other of two models: 70D if you want the latest and greatest, especially if you also want to shoot video. Or, a used 60D if you want to save a few bucks.

These two models have control layout and functionality that are most similar to your 6D. They both also use the same memory, batteries & chargers as 6D, so can share those. The AF system of 60D is most similar to your 6D. Now, 60D can't focus in quite as low light and has two fewer AF points, but all nine of the 60D's points are the better "cross type". 70D's 19-point (all cross type) AF is considerably fancier and more complex... for action/sports photography would be a bit better than either 6D or 60D. Also has Dual Pixel focus in Live View, which makes that much more usable. Both have articulated LCD monitors... nice for low or high angle shots. 70D's is a touch screen I believe (and am not necessarily wild about... if I "butt dial" my cell phone, will I "nose set" my camera?).

Depending upon what you shoot, if you get a crop sensor camera you may want one or two crop-specific lenses... but otherwise can share lenses with your 6D. (I have two ultrawide zooms and one compact macro/portrait lens that are crop-only, everything else works on both crop and FF cameras.)

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 19, 2014 10:21 |  #24

[QUOTE=EverydayGetaway​;17219858]Let's be a little more snobby next time... QUOTE]

You should look up what snobby means. Let's call models by their names not made up ones like "classic" or "mkI"

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,584 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 19, 2014 21:15 |  #25

[QUOTE=HappySnapper90;​17221357]

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17219858 (external link)
Let's be a little more snobby next time... QUOTE]

You should look up what snobby means. Let's call models by their names not made up ones like "classic" or "mkI"

Lets not be overly pedantic and pretend we don't know what people are talking about when we clearly do.

Do you give people this much trouble when they say "Y'all", or "Gimme"? I mean, gimme a break... :p

When a second iteration of a product comes out it's common notion to subtitle the first iteration as the "original" or "1st", so it's you and those like you who make things confusing. In fact, calling a 1st gen camera "MK1" is far less confusing than calling it "C" or simply it's original model name, since that always inevitable invites more questions, for instance; "Which 5D do you have?". I've seen that exact thing happen multiple times on this forum.

So get over it, the 7D is now (unofficially) the 7Dmk1 ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 19, 2014 23:21 |  #26

[QUOTE=EverydayGetaway​;17222255][QUOTE=Happy​Snapper90;17221357]

Lets not be overly pedantic and pretend we don't know what people are talking about when we clearly do.

Do you give people this much trouble when they say "Y'all", or "Gimme"? I mean, gimme a break... :p

When a second iteration of a product comes out it's common notion to subtitle the first iteration as the "original" or "1st", so it's you and those like you who make things confusing. In fact, calling a 1st gen camera "MK1" is far less confusing than calling it "C" or simply it's original model name, since that always inevitable invites more questions, for instance; "Which 5D do you have?". I've seen that exact thing happen multiple times on this forum.
QUOTE]
Sorry, completely different things. I don't see people asking which 5D when it's either the 5D, 5D2, or 5zd3.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,004 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 20, 2014 06:53 |  #27

You cannot have a II without a I, even without the missing but implied Mark I badge on the 7D. Confusion over the 5D models still happens today, thus why the MKI or (c) designation occurred back in 2009-ish I believe. Keep up the good fight, but in the end, you probably should pick your battles and this really isn't worth the effort.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

2,738 views & 0 likes for this thread
Suggestions for a backup - $1k and crop sensor?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.