Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2014 (Saturday) 21:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rebel or 60D

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 18, 2014 21:30 |  #1

My girlfriend is using my old 30D -- but I believe the sensor might be beginning to degrade. It's getting dark spots in the images, and cleaning sensor does not help.

We're thinking upgrade to a 60D or Rebel ... she shoots mostly outdoors, wildlife, flowers, plants, still life, scenes - and only for reference to do her art -- she's a painter -- oil, WC, and pastel ...

So, image quality is less important - she just needs broad details for realism in the art. Does not enlarge much - she works from 8x10 - with enough detail to paint larger than the images ...

So, can any one 'rate' the Rebel vs the 60D for this type shooting ... we're thinking the 18-135 is enough lens. She shoots now with the 28-135 and the 30D and it does everything - she needs nothing longer than 135mm as she shoots mostly close-up, but occasionally needs a little reach, nothing beyond the 18-135 -- and she will never use video ...

The 30D will probably fail soon -- and Xmas is coming :)

Probably look at refurbished camera, with the kit lens ... I know the 60D will outperform the Rebel series (I think so anyway?) and I'm not technical enough to base an opinion on only the specs ... so anyone have an opinion on which to go with here. We're more interested in actual experience shooting with it, not just regurgitating the specs -- we can read those, but we need someone with experience to talk about that from the standpoint of the images, not the specs -- if that makes sense?

60D is more money, but that doesn't necessarily mean she needs it for what she does.

One other comment -- she does not "like" the articulating screen -- so, can that simply be left in place as if it was fixed?

sponsored links
HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 18, 2014 22:06 |  #2

You'll get the same IQ from both cameras since they use the same sensor. While the 60D is more durable and has a better battery, I bet the rebel will be just fine.

Yes you can leave the articulating screen open all the time. I think it's handy to close it while traveling to protect the screen.

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 18, 2014 22:19 |  #3

HaroldC3 wrote in post #17220677 (external link)
You'll get the same IQ from both cameras since they use the same sensor. While the 60D is more durable and has a better battery, I bet the rebel will be just fine.

Yes you can leave the articulating screen open all the time. I think it's handy to close it while traveling to protect the screen.

OK, but can you leave the screen open, like a standard camera, leave it flat - like against the body but still operating like a non-articulating screen. She wants to use it like a regular screen, not spinning in the wind.

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 18, 2014 22:37 |  #4

I have a 60d and virtually never turn the screen around to "protect" it. Never had a problem. I treat the same as my other DSLRs and it is fine.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

greenjeans
Goldmember
2,543 posts
Gallery: 278 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 18, 2014 22:40 |  #5

monkey44 wrote in post #17220708 (external link)
OK, but can you leave the screen open, like a standard camera, leave it flat - like against the body but still operating like a non-articulating screen. She wants to use it like a regular screen, not spinning in the wind.

Yes, you can leave the screen open and flat against the body like a non-rotating LCD.

Gripped 6D, gripped 6D2, gripped 70D, 80D and a bag full of lenses.

cdmicha
72 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 19, 2014 06:51 |  #6

What mode does she shoot in? If she'd in Auto mode most of the time, I'd go Rebel line hands down. Nearly all the upgrades in the 60D are much more useful if she's going to be changing settings a lot.

And as Harold says, they're the same sensor.

Chris
6D/70D/E-M5

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,635 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 19, 2014 09:28 |  #7

She shouldn't pass judgement on the articulating screen until she has tried it. I will venture to say she may find it, coupled with Live View to be useful, especially on the flowers and plants you say she shoots. I've taken many an image from a vantage point 4 inches off the ground that would be difficult without that screen, or as a minimum guarantee a trip to the laundry at the end of the day!

By the way, if you live in the States let us know - there are significant savings available through the Canon Loyalty Program.

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 19, 2014 09:59 |  #8

John from PA wrote in post #17221266 (external link)
She shouldn't pass judgement on the articulating screen until she has tried it. I will venture to say she may find it, coupled with Live View to be useful, especially on the flowers and plants you say she shoots. I've taken many an image from a vantage point 4 inches off the ground that would be difficult without that screen, or as a minimum guarantee a trip to the laundry at the end of the day!

By the way, if you live in the States let us know - there are significant savings available through the Canon Loyalty Program.

Yes Thanks ... USA, and we know the Canon Loyalty program ... sometimes, the savings worth it, sometimes shipping and handling and tax makes it more than others with no tax and no shipping -- but we always look there, see what Canon has to offer.

We use Adorama for most purchases --- used B&H or awhile too. We have NO local camera stores here anymore ... they all closed when the Big Box stores opened. :(

Best Buy sometimes has camera gear, but I hate that store, it's screwed up my warranty issues too often on computers -- so I ignore them even if they have it.

Two Q's -- I see some Rebels with a small (i) after the T ... what does that 'i' mean?

Which Rebel would be the best - but as a refurbished -- and best for this kind of shooting. She wants to save a few bucks, but not at the cost of camera quality ...

I started years ago with the film, and then went to the 30D, and skipped over the Rebel series, so have no clue about that specific series. She's looking for self-cleaning sensor too, not the "air blower" cleaner like the 30D ....

If you had a Rebel in one hand and 60D in the other, and both were close in price, which one would you choose??

She shoots usually with auto-settings, and her camera skills are minimal. The camera is a tool for her paintings, not for her to sell images if that helps, she works from the images then posts photos of her paintings on a website to sell the paintings, not the images --

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,635 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 19, 2014 10:34 |  #9

Not sure how the letter 'i" came about but generally it means the more fully featured camera. See http://www.imaging-resource.com …as/canon/t5i/vs​/canon/t5/ (external link) for the T5i vs. T5 comparison. This also means of course that the "i" carries a higher price tag.

Having held the T5i and owning the 60D hands down my preference is the 60D. It just feels better in my hands, due in large part to the additional weight. I like the feel of a camera with some "heft" which in my opinion can help in holding the camera steady.

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 19, 2014 12:07 |  #10

John from PA wrote in post #17221375 (external link)
Not sure how the letter 'i" came about but generally it means the more fully featured camera. See http://www.imaging-resource.com …as/canon/t5i/vs​/canon/t5/ (external link) for the T5i vs. T5 comparison. This also means of course that the "i" carries a higher price tag.

Having held the T5i and owning the 60D hands down my preference is the 60D. It just feels better in my hands, due in large part to the additional weight. I like the feel of a camera with some "heft" which in my opinion can help in holding the camera steady.

Yeah - based on all the info, the difference is not enough to worry about at the refurb level ... so, will more than likely go with 60D -- thanks for all the info guys !! :)

sponsored links

1,790 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rebel or 60D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.