Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 14 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 12:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post shots of wedding guests trying to get a shot

HeleneD
Goldmember
1,822 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 18, 2014 10:06 |  #31

I just had a wedding where a guest literally had his iPhone next to my ear so he can get the same exact shot I was taking. I almost turned around and smacked him for clicking that thing in my ear. I don't mind if guests stay out of the way, but I have missed shots before of people jumping in front of me including the mother of the bride

Canon 5D3
35L, 85L, 24-70L, 70-200L
FACEBOOK (external link)
flickr (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

sponsored links
Luxx
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 18, 2014 13:12 |  #32

Sorry I kind of hijacked this...more photos of people holding up there cameras at the wrong time

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 18, 2014 20:16 |  #33

Luxx wrote in post #17219408 (external link)
I have a hard time saying someone can't take a photo from their seat or of the party but looking at this thread I might be changing my mind.

Consider it this way... Many wedding photographers ONLY sell the pictures to guests. As in the guests cannot get any without paying for a print or a file. Why should a guest held be ransom to having to pay for a memory when they can capture a perfectly adequate one for their needs by themselves? Furthermore they can capture exactly what they want to capture at the moment they want to capture it. People are entitled to their own memories.

I say to couples at my pre-wedding and initial meetings (before they have booked) that if they want photographs of specific people during the ceremony just to make sure that they don't have a camera stuck in front of those peoples' faces the entire time. I set the expectations clearly that I can only capture what is there. As a photographer you should not feel guilt for capturing what is actually happening (that is what we are paid to do).

If it is important to the couple to make sure their immediate loved ones are captured watching as opposed to recording the ceremony they'll ask them to leave their cameras at home. Some couples go a step further and ask everyone not to have them during the ceremony... Others even go the opposite route setting up a wedding hashtag or app and encouraging people to snap and share.

Over the years the biggest challenge I've had with people moving in the way is cheap end videographers. Even to the point of one banging their camera on my head as they weren't watching where they were going. This however is mainly down to inexperience more than anything else.

Luxx wrote in post #17219408 (external link)
As for portraits...really people taking pictures in front of you when you set up portraits? I wish you were kidding but I've seen it. I was at a relatives wedding and had my big camera and lens. It was portrait time and I wouldn't be surprised if the photog was pissed when she saw me with my big camera. Anyway, I was called in for a family photo. There was this older woman who kept getting in the way with a point and shoot. The professional would wait for her to finish and then only after that could the pro get the shot...it was taking forever.

This doesn't happen 1) if the photographer is managing things properly and 2) even if it does on the odd occasion it should not be an issue because the group shots should be straightforward and very quick to do (if done right).

As for photographers having their setup shots "copied" by someone with a camera next to them well if that is a worry for the photographer they have bigger issues. It means what they are producing cannot be differentiated enough from the average Joe.

Peter

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 18, 2014 20:21 |  #34

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17220485 (external link)
Consider it this way... Many wedding photographers ONLY sell the pictures to guests. As in the guests cannot get any without paying for a print or a file. Why should a guest held be ransom to having to pay for a memory when they can capture a perfectly adequate one for their needs by themselves? Furthermore they can capture exactly what they want to capture at the moment they want to capture it. People are entitled to their own memories.

I say to couples at my pre-wedding and initial meetings (before they have booked) that if they want photographs of specific people during the ceremony just to make sure that they don't have a camera stuck in front of those peoples' faces the entire time. I set the expectations clearly that I can only capture what is there. As a photographer you should not feel guilt for capturing what is actually happening (that is what we are paid to do).

If it is important to the couple to make sure their immediate loved ones are captured watching as opposed to recording the ceremony they'll ask them to leave their cameras at home. Some couples go a step further and ask everyone not to have them during the ceremony... Others even go the opposite route setting up a wedding hashtag or app and encouraging people to snap and share.

Over the years the biggest challenge I've had with people moving in the way is cheap end videographers. Even to the point of one banging their camera on my head as they weren't watching where they were going. This however is mainly down to inexperience more than anything else.

This doesn't happen 1) if the photographer is managing things properly and 2) even if it does on the odd occasion it should not be an issue because the group shots should be straightforward and very quick to do (if done right).

As for photographers having their setup shots "copied" by someone with a camera next to them well if that is a worry for the photographer they have bigger issues. It means what they are producing cannot be differentiated enough from the average Joe.

If the photographer was set up to take the shot and THEN the person gets next to them to mirror the shot, how is that a knock on the photographer's work? It's the average joe copying the photographer, not the other way around. As for managing group shots, I've found that an authoritative tone helps to keep things moving and people where they are supposed to be.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 18, 2014 20:42 |  #35

Is the average Joe is using the same aperture, settings etc? Are the clicking the button at exactly the same moment? Are they processing the images the exactly same? Do they have an entire body of work from the wedding which is identical? Are they interacting with all the guests the same way, building rapport as they go?

No, no, no, no and no. Guests are not a threat. They are part of the day we are meant to capture. In fact most people who have an interest in taking pictures themselves at a wedding I personally find are prime candidates to be potential future clients themselves. Having someone take the same pose from right next to you yet you process etc differently is an opportunity to demonstrate the difference between what you do and what the average Joe does. Rather than being scared photographers should see the opportunities it presents.

If you have a package where the clients get copies of the high resolution files with rights to share with friends and family etc you only need to say something like "You know you can get a copy of the shots from the bride and groom"... most don't bother taking more pictures anyway.

Peter

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 19, 2014 00:48 |  #36

No matter how lightly I try to take this thread, it brings up memories of shots I didn't take b/c of guest getting in the way. Making me a bit frustrated lol. I don't have any that truly ruined the shot, those didn't make it to the gallery for me to share, and I'm not near my HDD to pull those up. Here are a few that come to mind that made their own shots:

I've posted this image here before, but this cracks me up b/c they're getting the exact same picture.

IMAGE: http://www.azfilm.info/Events/Michelle-and-Jessie/i-RnCVNgK/0/L/Andrew%20Zaragoza%20-%20jessie%20and%20michelle-254-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.azfilm.info …le-and-Jessie/i-RnCVNgK/A  (external link)

This gives a pretty good idea to what we gotta deal with. Not formals, but they did want group photos of the bride with her mother and aunts on the dance floor. After getting fairly loud informing them all to "just look directly at me for 2 seconds", they all looked my way. I didn't even notice how big the group behind me had gotten. All of their eyes were aimed at different people, but in as loud as I could get without sounding like a jerk, I got their attention, got the shot, then stepped back and said, "have at it!" and I soon drowned in the sea of guests lol

IMAGE: http://www.azfilm.info/Events/Ryan-and-Sara/i-FS7CsPT/0/L/Andrew%20Zaragoza%20-%20Ryan%20and%20Sara-461-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.azfilm.info …Ryan-and-Sara/i-FS7CsPT/A  (external link)

I might share the photo of a kid jumping in an out of EVERY shot during the removal of the garter. I was so annoyed because his mom just stood their watching. He officially ruined the whole scene. Luckily, I had another shooter to cover my ass. I was so pissed. That has been the only time I couldn't get around a guest. Damn kids.

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 19, 2014 10:32 |  #37

AZFiLM wrote in post #17220831 (external link)
No matter how lightly I try to take this thread, it brings up memories of shots I didn't take b/c of guest getting in the way. Making me a bit frustrated lol. I don't have any that truly ruined the shot, those didn't make it to the gallery for me to share, and I'm not near my HDD to pull those up. Here are a few that come to mind that made their own shots:

I've posted this image here before, but this cracks me up b/c they're getting the exact same picture.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.azfilm.info …le-and-Jessie/i-RnCVNgK/A  (external link)

This gives a pretty good idea to what we gotta deal with. Not formals, but they did want group photos of the bride with her mother and aunts on the dance floor. After getting fairly loud informing them all to "just look directly at me for 2 seconds", they all looked my way. I didn't even notice how big the group behind me had gotten. All of their eyes were aimed at different people, but in as loud as I could get without sounding like a jerk, I got their attention, got the shot, then stepped back and said, "have at it!" and I soon drowned in the sea of guests lol

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.azfilm.info …Ryan-and-Sara/i-FS7CsPT/A  (external link)

I might share the photo of a kid jumping in an out of EVERY shot during the removal of the garter. I was so annoyed because his mom just stood their watching. He officially ruined the whole scene. Luckily, I had another shooter to cover my ass. I was so pissed. That has been the only time I couldn't get around a guest. Damn kids.

At a recent wedding one guest told me that at the last wedding she attended, she and another guest had a competition to see who could "photo bomb" more pictures. I felt sorry for the bride and groom...two guests set out to make the day and photos about them.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 19, 2014 12:51 |  #38

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17220534 (external link)
Is the average Joe is using the same aperture, settings etc? Are the clicking the button at exactly the same moment? Are they processing the images the exactly same? Do they have an entire body of work from the wedding which is identical? Are they interacting with all the guests the same way, building rapport as they go?

No, no, no, no and no. Guests are not a threat. They are part of the day we are meant to capture. In fact most people who have an interest in taking pictures themselves at a wedding I personally find are prime candidates to be potential future clients themselves. Having someone take the same pose from right next to you yet you process etc differently is an opportunity to demonstrate the difference between what you do and what the average Joe does. Rather than being scared photographers should see the opportunities it presents.

If you have a package where the clients get copies of the high resolution files with rights to share with friends and family etc you only need to say something like "You know you can get a copy of the shots from the bride and groom"... most don't bother taking more pictures anyway.

I wasn't making a point that they were a threat but you made it sound like the photographer was at fault if a person wanted to get the same shot, like if some guest wanted the same shot that it couldn't be good.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

longbeachgary
Redwood Original
583 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Oct 19, 2014 12:55 |  #39

npompei wrote in post #17217848 (external link)
I used to care about this but in all honesty, who gives a crap? Everyone has a phone now that takes pictures, you sure as hell can't stop everyone from taking pictures? They have a right to don't they?

You let the clients know that it would be appreciated if you have guests who take pictures to be mindful of me who is getting paid. If they don't then it's not my problem. If they jump in front of me, I try and move. If I can't move and the shot sucks, oh well, its not my fault. And if the client gets pissed, show them the communication that discusses this very issue.

My last wedding was a nightmare similar to this - that old aunt with a "new Galaxy S3" and an old ass point and shoot was in my way taking pictures in front of me for the entire portrait/bridal session. I wanted to throw her in the river. That to me is different than people with cameras/phones taking pictures when in their chairs, isles, etc. The ipad thing, well those losers should just plain be taken off this planet and sent to mars for exploration without a space suit.

We as photographers need to get over ourselves - we are not the only ones with cameras these days. Sure we are getting paid to do it and we want to make sure we do the best job we can. But don't let your ego get in the way of family and friends who want to enjoy the day with their friends/family too.

I think that this was supposed to be a fun thread.

Canon 1DX, Canon 1D Mark iii, 20 F2.8, 100 F2.0, 200L F2.8, 300L F4, 400L 5.6, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8L, 70-200 F2.8L, 70-200 F4 IS, and the 2nd 3rd party lens I've ever owned - Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 Sport.

DThriller
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,032 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 19, 2014 21:43 |  #40

riveragaryj@juno.com wrote in post #17221561 (external link)
I think that this was supposed to be a fun thread.

Yea I wasn't trying to piss people off or stir the ****

Just wanted everyone to have a laugh

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

sponsored links

5,050 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post shots of wedding guests trying to get a shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.