Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Oct 2014 (Saturday) 16:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 18, 2014 16:27 |  #1

Hmm ... built an avatar, can't get it to upload ... keeps telling me 'upload failed'

It's only 4kb, and 80p x78p ... so, any clues?

ON EDIT: Oppps, after five tries, it finally popped up :) :)

sponsored links
monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 18, 2014 17:21 |  #2

Wait, wait -- it's gone!!

When I first open the forum page and look, all avatars are see-able, but when I sign on, all the avatars disappear? Not just mine, every avatar ??? Weird ... any clues?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,301 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 18, 2014 17:27 |  #3

I see your avatar, and it is extremely blurry and pixelated. Something must not be jiving between your files and POTN.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 18, 2014 18:45 |  #4

Well, I see all avatars including mine when I log on the page, then when I sign in as a member, none of the avatars show up anywhere.

I can fix the clarity (I know what's doing that), but wonder what setting I did or didn't do on my member page that deletes all the avatars when I sign in as a member?

I'm not very tech smart - so if anyone explains, please know it needs a non-tech explanation .. thx

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 18, 2014 19:11 |  #5

Hmm...You look like a monkey, what's the problem...??:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 18, 2014 21:47 |  #6

I can fix the avatar so it's clear -- it's just too small, and weak resolution -- but ...

My Q now -- Why do all the avatars appear when I'm a guest, but disappear when I log in? I can't see any avatars when in log-in status ... but all when just opening the page. I'm not very technical, so that's very puzzling?

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 18, 2014 21:49 |  #7

tonylong wrote in post #17220393 (external link)
Hmm...You look like a monkey, what's the problem...??:)

And, that's "looks like a handsome Monkey" if you please -- :) :) That is NOT a plain old monkey out there - he's cream of the crop in that tree. :lol::lol:

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,301 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 19, 2014 03:12 |  #8

monkey44 wrote in post #17220651 (external link)
And, that's "looks like a handsome Monkey" if you please -- :) :) That is NOT a plain old monkey out there - he's cream of the crop in that tree. :lol::lol:

Tree? I don't see a tree at all. In the blurry avatar I am looking at, it appears to be a monkey kneeling on the ground, holding a ping pong paddle. Nothing looks like a tree, or like branches, or leaves, or anything tree-like at all. But then again, it is really, really blurry.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 19, 2014 10:30 |  #9

Now, I'm still trying to upload a 'fixed' one -- it says "you cannot upload animated images" -- well, this is not an animated image (That means it moves, right? Mine doesn't)

SO, when I make it the size it requires, it's too small and fuzzy -- when I make it larger (and it does NOT exceed the guidelines - it's less than 80x80 and smaller than 8k) It tells me it exceeds the guidelines -- So, I'm stuck with a fuzzy avatar, or a too small avatar -- can't figure it out :(

scriveyn
Goldmember
1,258 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 19, 2014 10:50 as a reply to  @ monkey44's post |  #10

You might try saving it as png instead of gif.

Also, I think there is an option somewhere in the individual user settings that lets you disable seeing avatars.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 19, 2014 11:45 |  #11

scriveyn wrote in post #17221414 (external link)
You might try saving it as png instead of gif.

Also, I think there is an option somewhere in the individual user settings that lets you disable seeing avatars.

I'll check 'disable' settings again ... AH HA, was set to 'disable avatar" ... fixed now.

Nope, .gif for certain.

probably something simple, but my tech-stupid self always has trouble once something does not happen right. Not enough knowledge to figure out simple issues sometimes :(

ON EDIT: Well, this time it took, and seems clear -- thanks for advice ... :) Now will climb back up into my tree and wait for the UPS guy and the 7D2 that's now somewhere between Japan and my door ! :)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2014 13:34 as a reply to  @ monkey44's post |  #12

Of course, if that avatar were a picture of a real monkey, he'd be holding something quite different in his hand....

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 19, 2014 14:57 |  #13

Lots of things come to mind - banana, baby, bug, selfie, 7D2 w/100-400, 5DM3 w/7-200, but nope, just sitting on the 'Book of Knowledge' staring at a human skull and wondering what makes it tick. :)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 19, 2014 21:49 |  #14

I don't see the problem...you look like a monkey, holding what, a tennis racket??

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 19, 2014 21:52 |  #15

Yes, I finally fixed it - figured it out with some help here.

But read the posts, you'll know what Monkey is looking at :) :) :)

sponsored links

1,728 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.