Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 14 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 23:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

family shoots

amderk
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 15, 2014 16:08 |  #16

robbyh wrote in post #17214771 (external link)
The standard micro adjustment metthods:
http://www.ophrysphoto​graphy.co.uk …allensmicroadju​stment.htm (external link)

The dot tune method (what I use):
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM (external link)

Thank you

Is this the right forum for me to find help to improve my shots next time?

Canon 70D
Lenses Canon 24-70 2.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
ok to edit pictures

sponsored links
randizzle
76 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 15, 2014 16:10 |  #17

In this situation:
-I would have started at ISO 100. I would have stayed there unless I was underexposing at a reasonable shutter speed (maybe 1/200 or faster).

-Building off the last one, I would not have let the shutter speed drop so low. 1/80 is too slow unless you have hands of concrete.

-I would have left the aperture wide open (f2.8) or only slightly smaller if the DOF needed to be widened for any reason. Now you have subjects that pop off the background and you also don't need to be at ISO 800.

robbyh
190 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 15, 2014 17:25 |  #18

^ i agree you should be at 100iso with the bright sun

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
6D, 24-105 f/4 L | YN 565 |

amderk
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 15, 2014 19:10 |  #19

I was so concerned about my depth of field that my brain went blank it looks like.

Canon 70D
Lenses Canon 24-70 2.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
ok to edit pictures

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,189 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 15, 2014 19:53 |  #20

amderk wrote in post #17215106 (external link)
I was so concerned about my depth of field that my brain went blank it looks like.

I dont know if you sre familiar with the DOF calculator at dofmaster.com but playing with it a bit changing lenses and distances and you'll get more comfortable at reasonable apertures. There are also smartphone apps.

amderk
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 15, 2014 20:06 |  #21

gonzogolf wrote in post #17215164 (external link)
I dont know if you sre familiar with the DOF calculator at dofmaster.com but playing with it a bit changing lenses and distances and you'll get more comfortable at reasonable apertures. There are also smartphone apps.

Will check this out.

Canon 70D
Lenses Canon 24-70 2.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
ok to edit pictures

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 16, 2014 08:31 |  #22

amderk wrote in post #17214747 (external link)
Could you direct me where I can find info on micro adjustments on my lens?

jeez. dont even bother with micros adjustment. i cant stand how that gets recommended so often. your focus problems, i'll bet are technique related, start there. we can give insigh but we need images with exif data in tact so we can see shutter speeds, focal lengths, f-stops, etc.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 16, 2014 08:36 |  #23

one thing i'll recommend is having everyone where the same style clothes, get everyone to look at the camera, use a tripod and take a lot of pics and Photoshop faces from other pics if you have to to get everyone looking at the camera and smiling.

when you shoot natural light you have to learn how to dodge and burn really well to fix the lighting since it will be flat on the faces.

amderk
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 16, 2014 15:21 |  #24

mike_311 wrote in post #17216040 (external link)
one thing i'll recommend is having everyone where the same style clothes, get everyone to look at the camera, use a tripod and take a lot of pics and Photoshop faces from other pics if you have to to get everyone looking at the camera and smiling.

when you shoot natural light you have to learn how to dodge and burn really well to fix the lighting since it will be flat on the faces.

Can I dodge and burn with LR?

Canon 70D
Lenses Canon 24-70 2.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
ok to edit pictures

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 17, 2014 05:30 |  #25

amderk wrote in post #17216674 (external link)
Can I dodge and burn with LR?

absolutely.

if you want your photography to take off, learn post processing really well..

heathermc72
59 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 20, 2014 15:15 |  #26

My opinion on these matters would be to forget about doing microadjustments for your lens, and forget about learning post processing right now. Those settings you used show that you need to have a better understanding of how a camera works, what different settings do, and what parameters those settings need to stay within to get the most out of your camera. An aperture of f/14 makes almost any lens look soft. ISO 800 when outside in sunny conditions is also not needed and starting into the area where sensor noise and the resulting softness from noise reduction starts coming into play. What style of autofocus are you using? Were you watching what focus point the camera was using? Once you've got your head wrapped around that fairly well, then watch a bunch of instructional videos on, and start using Lightroom for post processing. People tend to think that a DSLR instantly makes you a better photographer, when it's the exact opposite. It's very easy to take crappy photos with a DSLR. (Not saying your shots are crappy! Most could look pretty nice with some processing.)

sirquack
Goldmember
2,560 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 28, 2014 14:40 |  #27

I would also look into going to the library, or invest in a book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. That book made the world of difference to me in how to get a creative exposure instead of just looking to get a correct exposure.
If I were to say find one thing to focus on next it would be understand your Aperture and what it does. By using f14, you will get what I believe is called difraction in your images. It is basically adding blur to your image. Every lens has a sweet spot that once you go beyond it, then you start getting softer as you go higher on the F number. I have found I rarely ever go beyond F11. But most of my photos for small groups is in the 5.6 to 6.3 range. I am usually using my 70-200 so I am back about 10-15 feet and it gives me about depth of field to get everyone in focus. If you have doubts, user AV mode and set your ISO to Auto and play with your camera and adjust your aperture up and down and get a feel for what each aperture leaves in focus. Just make sure to keep an eye on your shutter speed and make sure it stays at least a little bit faster than your focal length. Since your camera is a crop camera, technically you would want to try to stay 1.6 X your focal distance in speed. (And example is if you are a 100mm you would want to be at 1/160th or better) That might help with getting sharper images as your original shutter speed might have introduced motion blur.
Please keep shooting as each shot will help you get a better understanding of what you are doing. Everyone here, for the most part, has been nothing but helpful in trying to help me get better the last couple of years. I would not be the same photographer without the help that others here have given me.
Please let me know if anything I said here does not make sense.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,251 views & 0 likes for this thread
family shoots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.