Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Oct 2014 (Monday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I always shoot in RAW...but my 60D changed to jpg by itself.

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,068 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 20, 2014 18:10 |  #1

I'm so confused! I always shoot in just RAW with both of my cameras. Yesterday I made a couple of short videos with my 60D, without changing any major settings. Today I uploaded some photos that were taken today, and realized they were all in the jpg format. I went back to check my settings, and my camera menu was still in the flash category...the last item that I had changed. I then checked the image quality, and sure enough, it was set to jpg only. Luckily they were just pictures of birds in my yard, nothing important. Any idea why this happened? I rarely shoot video, but have never had this happen. I am using a new memory card that was formatted in the camera before the first use. Ideas?

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

sponsored links
BastardSheep
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 20, 2014 19:41 |  #2

Did you accidentally reset to factory settings? I've never had any settings change on my 60D that weren't my own doing, and I avoid any "reset" style options like the plague in case they change more than I want them to.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II | Canon EOS 60D | Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 C | Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 | Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon 430ex II
Flickr (external link)

SJC ­ from ­ VT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,068 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 20, 2014 20:12 |  #3

I don't think so, I was just shooting my pets indoors yesterday.

7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 20, 2014 20:31 |  #4

In auto mode? Raw isn't available in auto.

SJC ­ from ­ VT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,068 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 20, 2014 21:21 |  #5

I shoot in Manual Mode, but maybe when I took it out of Movie Mode, I put it into something other than Manual....interesting thought! I will have to check my exif data tomorrow. You may be on to something HappySnapper09!

SJC ­ from ­ VT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,068 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 21, 2014 05:42 |  #6

So I checked the camera, and the exif data on the photos that I took after the movie mode was used, and they were all shot in Manual Mode. So I'm back to square one! To add to my confusion, I just took a couple of shots to make sure the camera was functioning correctly using RAW. I switched the camera from al servo to one shot, and the focus beeper sounded. I never use the beepers!

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 21, 2014 06:42 |  #7

Don't know about your incident, but a few years back my 5D had a "chip fart." It was tripoded and for no reason whatsoever, completely reset itself - all options including custom functions and so forth. Never happened again.

Website (external link) |

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 21, 2014 08:29 |  #8

It's haunted, toss some holy water on it (not too much) and it'll be ok.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 21, 2014 09:24 |  #9

rick_reno wrote in post #17224954 (external link)

To make the holy water, place water in a pan, place the pan on the stove, and boil the Hell out of it.

SJC ­ from ­ VT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,068 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 21, 2014 13:46 |  #10

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17224822 (external link)
Don't know about your incident, but a few years back my 5D had a "chip fart." It was tripoded and for no reason whatsoever, completely reset itself - all options including custom functions and so forth. Never happened again.

rick_reno wrote in post #17224954 (external link)

20droger wrote in post #17225018 (external link)
To make the holy water, place water in a pan, place the pan on the stove, and boil the Hell out of it.

Thanks for the tips! The thought did cross my mind that "Mr. Boogity" had returned. When ever strange things happen in our house, that's who got the blame!

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 21, 2014 13:48 |  #11

Did you accidentally take the pictures while still in movie mode? I've done that more than a few times.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

SJC ­ from ­ VT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,068 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 21, 2014 14:52 |  #12

maverick75 wrote in post #17225525 (external link)
Did you accidentally take the pictures while still in movie mode? I've done that more than a few times.

I checked the exif data, it said I was in Manual Mode for all of the photos taken after making the short movie clips. Hopefully it's a one time thing. I will try the Movie Mode again to see if it changes my settings a second time.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 21, 2014 21:06 |  #13

There's a manual mode in video as well. So it would still show up as manual in the exif.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

ejenner
Goldmember
3,801 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 22, 2014 23:06 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #14

Yup, still in movie mode I'd bet. Done this a lot since I quite often shoot movies (in manual mode too - but manual move mode). This couldn't happen with the 5D2, but with the newer cameras like 7D and 5DIII with the 'movie button' it does. Not sure about the 60D for sure, but I suspect this is it. As soon as you said 'I was shooting a movie' I was thinking 'Oh yea, I've done that a few times'.

BUT I think as soon as you flip the switch to get out of live view it goes back. Not too sure though because I use C3 for movie settings, so as soon as I switch back off that I know I am back to stills where as I do know some shots I have taken in between shooting movies have come out as .jpeg.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 23, 2014 22:17 |  #15

I shot in the raw once out in my back yard but the neighbor walked out of her house with her dog. She screamed and fainted and the dog had a seizure. The police made me agree to put up a tall wooden fence and now I'm having to pay for therapy sessions for the dog.

Joe
5DIII

sponsored links

2,332 views & 0 likes for this thread
I always shoot in RAW...but my 60D changed to jpg by itself.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.