Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Oct 2014 (Monday) 20:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What am I doing wrong

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 21, 2014 02:51 |  #16

After going through your post history then looking at your website, it seems like you don't really have a firm grasp on the technical aspects of photography yet and just jumped right into doing business with just rudimentary knowledge. Your presentation, technique, and post processing appear to be sloppy and all over the place and clients can see that and be discouraged, even if its free.

You need take it easy and slow down a bit and tackle the many questions and issues you've posted in your threads. Master your craft before you can even think about charging people for it. Ask yourself if you would hire you to photograph an important part of you life.

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 21, 2014 07:30 |  #17

I appreciate all the direction from your posts. All of you are right in your assessment of my photography and website. Although I feel a bit better this morning I am still in the dumps over this. I am going to think about this for a few days and see if I feel any better or any more hope than today. Maybe its time for me to retire. Again thanks for your suggestions and feedback.

Website (external link)

CANON

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 21, 2014 10:20 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

I'm confused, is it Michael G Photography or Clinton Photography?

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 21, 2014 10:46 |  #19

You have no style. Why would anyone hire you? They have NO IDEA what kind of photos they might get.

Your editing is all over the place with seemingly random types of editing.

Gear List

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,057 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 21, 2014 11:21 |  #20

Tedder wrote in post #17224580 (external link)
If you had 30 photographs of pets on furniture that matched the quality of the shot of the dachshund on the sofa, I'd consider buying a dog and hiring you to photograph it.

This reminds me of something I thought of posting last night. It was bedtime and I stopped.

I liked the dog-on-sofa photo, too. It's too dark, but that can be changed. Clinton is a small town in a rural area (from Wikipedia). Average income is low; the poverty level is high. There are remarkably few men for the number of women. (Where did the guys go? Are they away in the military? In jail? Did they have to leave town to find work?) So there may be a high proportion of widows and single mothers. The area looks to be economically depressed. People are struggling. I wouldn't think this would be much of a market for paid portraits, not enough to sustain many photography businesses, even part-time. Buying food and fuel comes first in the household budget.

Have you considered specializing in animals? If you have a lot of rapport with them (important for posing), it could be a good area. The clients would be ranchers and pet owners. Ranchers tend to have more money. Are there any livestock breeders nearby? Is there a rodeo? A feed store where you can put up a poster?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 21, 2014 11:23 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

And way too many of the same photos with just different post processing.

Stop using on-board flash. Get speedlight and learn to bounce or if outdoors learn to use off-camera flash.

Get prime lens and open it up so you get separation from subject and background. Shoot when sun is coming up or going down or on overcast days (no harsh shadows).

Learn rule of thirds. And watch your backgrounds, too many shots of telephone wires popping out of people heads.

Post processing: Keep it simple. Adjust curves, shadows, highlights, vibrance. Add some vignetting (especially for portraits). Don't go crazy trying to get "instagram" look. That will come later.

These rules aren't set in stone but for a beginner it is helpful to follow them.

These are basics to start with and for now yes only post your best shots on your site.

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 21, 2014 11:28 |  #22

OhLook wrote in post #17225221 (external link)
This reminds me of something I thought of posting last night. It was bedtime and I stopped.

I liked the dog-on-sofa photo, too. It's too dark, but that can be changed. Clinton is a small town in a rural area (from Wikipedia). Average income is low; the poverty level is high. There are remarkably few men for the number of women. (Where did the guys go? Are they away in the military? In jail? Did they have to leave town to find work?) So there may be a high proportion of widows and single mothers. The area looks to be economically depressed. People are struggling. I wouldn't think this would be much of a market for paid portraits, not enough to sustain many photography businesses, even part-time. Buying food and fuel comes first in the household budget.

Have you considered specializing in animals? If you have a lot of rapport with them (important for posing), it could be a good area. The clients would be ranchers and pet owners. Ranchers tend to have more money. Are there any livestock breeders nearby? Is there a rodeo? A feed store where you can put up a poster?

Our area depends on Hogs & Chickens producers. There is some photography business here but the ratio of photographers to people is high. There is 20 or more in my town that are offering services. I know its hard to compete with this but I didn't want that to be an excuse. I don't mind shooting animals but I prefer people. That dog in the image is mine. He was laying there while I was playing around with my Photogenic lights so I took his picture for practice.

Website (external link)

CANON

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 21, 2014 11:30 |  #23

Home page gieves little idea what you are about - I'd have a few prominent words to explain what you do for a client.

I'd ditch the filter effect images especially the HDR like ones - looks too obvious - "anyone" can apply a filter. Some wonkey horizons sin #2 after bad focus. Focus seems OK, but DOF so large they would be. Given camera phones exist I think (sadly!) that you probably need a few shallow DOF images to show you have, and can use, decent lenses.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 21, 2014 11:32 |  #24

Martin Dixon wrote in post #17225244 (external link)
Home page gieves little idea what you are about - I'd have a few prominent words to explain what you do for a client.

I'd ditch the filter effect images especially the HDR like ones - looks too obvious - "anyone" can apply a filter. Some wonkey horizons sin #2 after bad focus. Focus seems OK, but DOF so large they would be. Given camera phones exist I think (sadly!) that you probably need a few shallow DOF images to show you have, and can use, decent lenses.

So at this point I will most likely dump everything on website and look to take some better images.

Website (external link)

CANON

longbeachgary
Redwood Original
583 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Oct 21, 2014 11:36 |  #25

Numenorean wrote in post #17225150 (external link)
You have no style. Why would anyone hire you? They have NO IDEA what kind of photos they might get.

Is this meant to be constructive or are you just that clueless?

Canon 1DX, Canon 1D Mark iii, 20 F2.8, 100 F2.0, 200L F2.8, 300L F4, 400L 5.6, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8L, 70-200 F2.8L, 70-200 F4 IS, and the 2nd 3rd party lens I've ever owned - Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 Sport.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 21, 2014 11:41 |  #26

riveragaryj@juno.com wrote in post #17225257 (external link)
Is this meant to be constructive or are you just that clueless?

Sorry, do you not understand what I typed?

Gear List

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,057 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 21, 2014 12:04 |  #27

mdaddyrabbit wrote in post #17225241 (external link)
There is some photography business here but the ratio of photographers to people is high. There is 20 or more in my town that are offering services. I know its hard to compete with this but I didn't want that to be an excuse.

Whether a market is saturated would enter into a rational business decision about what services to offer and where to offer them. "Excuse" doesn't really apply.

mdaddyrabbit wrote in post #17225251 (external link)
So at this point I will most likely dump everything on website and look to take some better images.

Dumping everything isn't being selective.

Numenorean wrote in post #17225266 (external link)
Sorry, do you not understand what I typed?

Everyone understands what you typed. One might wish you had typed nicer.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 21, 2014 12:11 |  #28

OhLook wrote in post #17225316 (external link)
Everyone understands what you typed. One might wish you had typed nicer.

So he asks for an opinion on what he is doing wrong, and I give him a reason why people may not choose him and I'm not being nice?

Should I tell him that everything is wonderful with his photography and everyone that is going elsewhere just can't discern how awesome he is and it's their fault? How exactly is that helping anyone?

Gear List

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,057 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 21, 2014 12:24 |  #29

Numenorean wrote in post #17225331 (external link)
Should I tell him that everything is wonderful with his photography and everyone that is going elsewhere just can't discern how awesome he is and it's their fault? How exactly is that helping anyone?

:rolleyes: Since you responded with questions, I'll ask some myself. Where did you get the idea that reality consists of pairs of opposites, with nothing in the middle? How exactly is that helping you?

I'll show you how a constructive comment might be made. The original:

One possible rewrite: "People who want photography will browse websites looking for a style they like. Your photos are so diverse, with many types of editing, that there's no consistent style there. These samples wouldn't tell potential clients what they might get. I suggest developing a single style that you think you can deliver consistently so that your site will be a reliable guide for viewers' expectations."

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 21, 2014 12:27 |  #30

OP, you're home page doesn't even load on my mac. safari browser.

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17224313 (external link)
You don't know what you want to sell. Your website is a mismatch of all sorts and everything image wise rolled into one. To be perfectly honest many of the wedding shots would have been taken better on a phone. You have no clear direction with your processing either. The front page of the site more resembles a bunch of photographs taken by several different photographers. The quality and processing varies that much.

Your website doesn't look like a business. Be honest with yourself and browse your Facebook friends pages... and any of their friends too if you can. Look at the photos people have taken themselves and ask yourself honestly whether yours stand out in anyway as being different. If your answer is "yes" then you are lying to yourself.

Before you start selling a product you need to know what the product is and be able to produce it first. Again being perfectly honest I don't see your luck changing unless you find what your product is and figure out how to produce it consistently.

Numenorean, do you understand that you and memories are saying the same thing?

can you see that the tone of each post is vastly different?

That's what folks are talking about. Constructive criticism offers solutions, what you are giving is straight criticism, and it's seen as poor form because you are kicking a guy when he's already down. It may not have been intentional, but that's the way it looks from this side of the internet.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

12,153 views & 0 likes for this thread
What am I doing wrong
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.