Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 22 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Complete Newbie - First wedding & looking for some advice/feedback

alstauffer
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 22, 2014 11:37 |  #1

Okay, so I've lurked on this website for ages now and finally set up an account so I could share a little. I've only been shooting portraits for money for a year now, so I'm definitely an unqualified newbie. And the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. My husband put my name forward to do a wedding as primary last July and after a lot of warnings and setting the bride up with low expectations I agreed to do it. She said they were glad they weren't just taking the pictures with their camera phones! I felt I at least could do better than that for them. I've worked as a second shooter for three weddings since this one so I do have some more experience. Another opportunity to shoot a wedding as primary has presented itself for next year and before I dive into that one I'd like some opinion from some of the talented pros here as to whether I may have potential in the industry. Can you offer me some advice and maybe make some suggestions as to what I should have done differently?

Shot with my "antique" 40D and a rented 24-70 and 70-200, though mostly the 24-70. It was a very small event of about twenty guests and I didn't get much use out of the longer lens because everything was so cramped. Also my first time using a flash. I feel like I often struggle with soft focus and I'm not sure if it's me or my camera since I don't seem to have the same trouble when I second shoot using my friend's 7D.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
alstauffer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 22, 2014 11:38 |  #2

The wedding did have the advantage of being at an old brewery where they met, so I had some neat architecture to work with.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

alstauffer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 22, 2014 11:40 |  #3

Completely blew using fill flash on the first one and the second is not focused right, but still I like them.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Pixil ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 22, 2014 22:44 |  #4

images are a little small to judge focus

Denver wedding and event photographer (external link)
My photography Blog (external link)

alstauffer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 23, 2014 05:59 |  #5

Sorry. :( I was having a difficult time figuring out the best way to add images to the posts, it kept telling me the file sizes were too large...

hoaindao
184 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 23, 2014 10:23 |  #6

can't really see the focus, but i like the composition and how comfortable they all looked.

i suggest creating a flickr account and upload your photos there so you can link your photos here at better and bigger resolution.

5DIII - 35L - 85L II - 135L - Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS - 480 EXII - AB1600 :)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

965 views & 0 likes for this thread
Complete Newbie - First wedding & looking for some advice/feedback
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.