Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 11:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Lab?

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 22, 2014 11:26 |  #1

The lab I was using has gone out of business --

I'd like a recommendation for another lab that can process and mail back to me quality images in a reasonable time frame and for reasonable pricing ... in the USA only. Definitely not looking for a "cheapo" lab ... Thanks BD

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 22, 2014 11:29 |  #2

What functions was the "lab" performing?

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 22, 2014 11:48 |  #3

gonzogolf wrote in post #17227183 (external link)
What functions was the "lab" performing?

Sorry -- prints ... I don't use a 'home printer' for my 'art prints' for clients -- I then frame them myself.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,587 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 22, 2014 11:53 |  #4

Who, in your mind, would be 'cheapo labs'? No sense having people suggest labs you won't do business with.

RGNY
101 posts
Joined May 2014

Oct 22, 2014 13:01 |  #5

Prodpi or whcc

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 22, 2014 14:26 |  #6

moose10101 wrote in post #17227235 (external link)
Who, in your mind, would be 'cheapo labs'? No sense having people suggest labs you won't do business with.

Well, I don't know any -- I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations from you guys who use one for prints.

I used a local lab for years and years (over twenty) -- but the owner passed away, and the folks that 'took over' don't know much about printing -- they turned it into a "public venue" like a Walmart or CVS, (cheapo labs??) whatever.

Plus, the lab decided to raise prices - like double. So, I'm looking for a photo lab that can process my images into silver-halide photographs -- I'll send files online and have them mail out to me the finish product. But I have no clue which labs are good and timely, and which are not. The web is like a crap-shoot, so many out there claiming excellence -- but who knows. I'd prefer not to test them all one-x-one. :)

I assume some of you pros on here will know a good one to try ... I don't do enough of this kind of work to justify the expense of personal equipment.

BTW: Usually one print at a time - for framing - but also, sometimes a production run of a hundred team photos too. It really varies ...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 22, 2014 14:49 |  #7

Thats why I asked earlier sbout lab. You said you just needed prints which sort of implies prints fom a digital source in this day and age. If you want prints from Negatives without scanning your options narrow considerably.

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 22, 2014 14:59 |  #8

gonzogolf wrote in post #17227599 (external link)
Thats why I asked earlier sbout lab. You said you just needed prints which sort of implies prints fom a digital source in this day and age. If you want prints from Negatives without scanning your options narrow considerably.

Yes, I guess I should have been more clear -- digital age has certainly arrived... I still occasionally shoot with film or slides, but primarily RAW digital as the quality has risen quite a bit over the years since I first began ... technology really rips along at a pretty quick pace, doesn't it?

B-ham ­ Gary
164 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 22, 2014 15:10 as a reply to  @ monkey44's post |  #9

I'll second RGNY, WHCC and ProDPI are my go to labs.

I like ProDPI's prints just a tiny bit more than WHCC, but I prefer the finish work and options on WHCC's canvas wraps and metal prints a bit better. WHCC shipping (and multiple locations in the US) can make for a day or so faster shipping to me, but both are fine.

Both are quality labs with reasonable prices.

GaryReynoldsImages.com (external link)

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 22, 2014 17:45 |  #10

OK ... thanks for the info guys -- will check these out ... :) :)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,733 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 22, 2014 17:49 |  #11

Advanced Imaging and they will send you control images to help you calibrate to their system.
http://www.aiprolab.co​m/ (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,547 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 22, 2014 18:24 |  #12

I've always had good luck with Millers or MPIX www.millerslab.com (external link)

sirquack
Goldmember
2,543 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 23, 2014 08:19 |  #13

Monkey, it might help if you also listed at least your state or preferrably your city location. There may be some great labs in your area if we only knew where you are located. I have started using McKennapro.com recently. It is a very good pro lab with many services offered and they are only a few hours from me here in Des Moines Iowa. So just another option if you happen to live in the midwest and want to work with a lab that is somewhat local. They have always been great to work with regarding color profiles and even which monitor to buy when I asked about that.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 23, 2014 08:30 |  #14

sirquack wrote in post #17228836 (external link)
Monkey, it might help if you also listed at least your state or preferrably your city location. There may be some great labs in your area if we only knew where you are located. I have started using McKennapro.com recently. It is a very good pro lab with many services offered and they are only a few hours from me here in Des Moines Iowa. So just another option if you happen to live in the midwest and want to work with a lab that is somewhat local. They have always been great to work with regarding color profiles and even which monitor to buy when I asked about that.

We operate out of two locations - one east coast, one west coast - so, local is not as critical as is quality and performance (quick in and out - ship) ... Plus, we work all over the USA, so are often in the field - but we want a USA lab ... that's more important. Makes no sense to have England or Canada, or whatever?

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 23, 2014 11:41 |  #15

You want a printer, not a "lab", right?

By lab, I picture your needing film processing...

sponsored links

2,524 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo Lab?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.