Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 11:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 506: Comfortable

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Oct 21, 2014 18:12 |  #16

rpolitsr wrote in post #17224582 (external link)
.... Difficult to convince that the comfortable saddles are the main subject there. :)

QUOTED IMAGE

If you'd posted it you just might have been on the podium since the comfortably sleeping youngster might be too big to be called a baby, but I'm glad I didn't have to make the decision - I enjoy entering but really don't like judging and commenting.;)

sponsored links
marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 22, 2014 05:15 as a reply to  @ post 17225527 |  #17

I am very sorry for the delay

:
)

Congratulations to Trumper and Raven winners and everyone's lovely entries
:cool:

Thank you very much Teekay
:)

am sorry also and hate saying it but the measurements on trumper's photo are incorrect
:o just the rules ,again. hate saying anything

very much delayed at family hospital visits so my sincere apologies
I hope to be back later with next challenge.
hoping all will understand

Thank you all very much :)

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Oct 22, 2014 11:15 |  #18

marie wrote in post #17226691 (external link)
....am sorry also and hate saying it but the measurements on trumper's photo are incorrect
:o just the rules ,again. hate saying anything....

You're quite right, Marie, and I must take the blame for not checking the image size and giving Trumper the chance to change it before the challenge ended. I do always check the EXIF info on entries, if available, but it's so rare that an entry is too small that I don't usually check the exact size.

However, since Trumper wasn't the winner, and naming a second and third place is not mandatory, let's just let the results stand, with a reminder to future judges to be more careful.

By the way, I did notice that his shot contained a cat despite my saying no pets, but since it was out of focus and not the main subject, I judged it not important.

So, thanks Marie, and don't feel bad, Trumper. Mea culpa!:oops:

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,065 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 22, 2014 11:51 |  #19

teekay wrote in post #17227157 (external link)
naming a second and third place is not mandatory

Are you sure? From the rules:

4. At the end of competition, choose a Winner and two Runners-up -- No Ties, please -- and explain why the photos were selected. Comments on other photos are nice but not required.

This doesn't say the runners-up must be designated #2 and #3, although we've been doing it. Sometimes (often!) it'd be nice not to have to choose one over the other. I guess naming a #2 and a #3 is useful in case #1 can't run the next challenge.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Oct 22, 2014 12:09 |  #20

OhLook wrote in post #17227233 (external link)
Are you sure? From the rules:
This doesn't say the runners-up must be designated #2 and #3.....

You're quite right! The requirement to name runners up isn't spelled out in the weekly challenges, but it is there if one clicks on "Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.", which I admit I hadn't done for a while.

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 22, 2014 12:37 |  #21

Not saying that the last size rule is bad, but when the images were constrained to 'exactly' 640px or 800px it was easier to detect a picture of the wrong size.
As no harm to others was involved, I agree with teekay, we can accept those results as they are. marie is preparing the new challenge, and, besides her, Trumper and Raven have posted the best interpretation of the theme according to the judge.
I commented on the cat too, and yes, it is blurred, and is alert watching something behind the shoes or out of the frame, so the photo shows human comfort.

... and my second picture was an attempt to continue the comment about pets and youngsters, not a real candidate for this challenge. By the way, the kid is under two years, I think. I placed him in the 'babies' group. Thanks for the comment, teekay :)

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Trumper
959 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 22, 2014 14:18 |  #22

I will answer,
The picture is that size because the forum wouldn't allow me to post the picture that WAS resized the correct size so i had to shrink it down to allow it to be posted,sorry forum software not working with my paint program.The size was correct to resize BUT it was a message saying too big MB for the forum to host so the only way it would host was to reduce the MB size.If there's a way round it please let me know :)
The cat was in the photo but actually it was the comfy old trainers i had photographed. After being for a run with my feet up sharing a comfy chair,cat NOT the subject it was an interpretation of a whole scene,comfy trainers,tired legs,soft chair and homely cat.

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Oct 22, 2014 17:57 |  #23

Trumper wrote in post #17227523 (external link)
I will answer,
....it was a message saying too big MB for the forum to host so the only way it would host was to reduce the MB size.If there's a way round it please let me know :).....

Fortunately there are quite a few ways around the maximum size limit that screwed you up this week, Trumper, so I hope you keep on entering these challenges. Don't feel bad, as it was my job to have noticed and given you some suggestions before the challenge closed.

My ISP allows me a small personal web site at no charge, so that's where I put my images, then post links to them for POTN etc. Most people, though, seem to store their shots on sites like Photobucket, some free, some not, and then link to them. More suggestions, anyone?

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,517 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 22, 2014 22:58 |  #24

teekay wrote in post #17227996 (external link)
More suggestions, anyone?

I use Photobucket, but can't really recommend it. All my images lose sharpness, once uploaded there.

Trumper
959 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 23, 2014 02:30 |  #25

I do have photo bucket, i also use Paint and paint shop pro to resize but the forum kicks in when hosting.I will try photobucket next time :)
Oh i will keep entering if i can see a photo that works with the challenge :)

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 23, 2014 03:11 |  #26

For attachments, there are two limits: Dimensions (max 1024 pixels) and file size (max. 150 Kb).

With paint, you control only the dimensions. The file size is controlled changing the jpg compression, and paint can not do that.

As an example, I resized a photo of mine to 960 pixels. In paint the file size is 310 Kb that will be rejected by vBulletin (the forum software). Using photoshop, the same image, same dimensions, can be compressed with good quality to 120Kb that is below the file size limit.
Photobucket works fine, but it automatically compresses your photos a bit too much, and users sometimes see the image quality degraded.

I think you can download and test a free image editor, probably GIMP. People like that software.

I use Photoshop, but I will test GIMP soon to have my own opinion.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 24, 2014 12:17 |  #27

I've been (hopefully) finding no problems with Flickr. I don't know if there are focus issues or not but it seems to size my photos correctly, and the results have been acceptable for me.

Steve

sponsored links

5,873 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 506: Comfortable
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.