Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 17:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Goodbye DSLR Nikon, Hello Mirrorless Sony

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 22, 2014 21:26 |  #46

AlanU wrote in post #17227126 (external link)
Have you ever played with a sony A77mk2???? That is a camera that is not getting alot of attention simply because its Sony.

I'm extremely heavily invested in Canon. I bet for most soccer mom/dads would buying a Sony A77mk2 they would get very similar keeper rates in this mirrorless camera. After testing one I'd say its extremely impressive at 12fps too!!!!!

Sorry but the a77 has a mirror.

sponsored links
speedync
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 22, 2014 21:30 |  #47

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17228305 (external link)
Sorry but the a77 has a mirror.

Half a mirror. And it doesn't move

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 22, 2014 21:48 |  #48

khwaja wrote in post #17226541 (external link)
Well, his next lens purchase brand is Canon and model is 10-18mm to go with his mirrorless Sony.

Well ... there is no way that i put my money in a lens which work only on APS-C (not compatible with my bodies), it's not even a good lens if i refer to the quality of the pictures on the digital picture website ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 22, 2014 22:04 |  #49

2ndviolinman wrote in post #17227878 (external link)
I have a family of 6 kids who all study violin. The soccer (gymnastic, ballet, cardiologist) mom has a 1Dx, and when she got it I played with it, and to try the AF, I had one of her kids run across the (large, dark) room at me, waving his hands in front of his face. At 10 fps, every one was tack sharp on the face.

Is there a mirrorless that can do that, yet?

Some soccer moms are pretty darned serious.

johnf3f wrote in post #17227943 (external link)
I assume this is a joke, in which case I totally agree! The 1DX and D4S are just pants compared to Mirrorless:rolleyes:

Wake up guys ... Canon an Nikon are not the only one on this planet, they have a huge choices of lenses, ok, but there is plenty which are pushing behind them ...

Just for example a mirrorless =>
http://www.dpreview.co​m/previews/samsung-nx1/3 (external link)
-The world's fastest autofocus system, with the ability to lock focus in 55ms.
-205 phase detection points (153 of which are cross-type), which cover around 90% of the frame.
-28MP
-15 frames per second with continuous AF
-$ 1499 !!!!!
and so on ...

Just to remind 1Dx with his 61+ AF points which does NOT cover even 60% of the frame have 12fps with AF or 14fps whithout AF tracking at $ 6000 the body

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,001 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 22, 2014 22:28 |  #50

I really like what Samsung is doing but it's still not a full frame sensor.

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 22, 2014 22:45 |  #51

Having the world's greatest AF system ever that covers 100% of the frame doesn't help me a whole lot if I can't mount a 400mm f2.8 or a 600mm f4 on it.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 22, 2014 23:28 |  #52

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #17228415 (external link)
Having the world's greatest AF system ever that covers 100% of the frame doesn't help me a whole lot if I can't mount a 400mm f2.8 or a 600mm f4 on it.

That's why we are "stuck" with the Canon or the Nikon "system", because it's an all system (body/lenses) but let Samsung develop and have a nice choice of different lenses ... those Korean guys they are not only good nowadays, but they are getting more better and better and have the will for it ;)

elitejp
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 22, 2014 23:52 |  #53

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #17228415 (external link)

This really is only true to the very few people who own or sometimes rent those types of lenses. The vast majority of people will never use or even touch lenses at that type of price tag.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,908 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 22, 2014 23:59 |  #54

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17228364 (external link)
Just for example a mirrorless =>
http://www.dpreview.co​m/previews/samsung-nx1/3 (external link)
-The world's fastest autofocus system, with the ability to lock focus in 55ms.[I]

There's more to it that cherry-picking stats. How smart is the camera, and how configurable is it? If a 1DX takes, say 100ms to lock focus from infinity, and the mirrorless can do it in 55ms, the 1DX can still win if it keeps focus closer between shots on a moving subject.

In my swimming example above, even my old 1D3 gives me the option to have the AF go hyper and swing quickly between the far wall and the swimmer's last location. But I can also tell it to chill, and wait for the last subject to return, then have a much shorter distance to move the focus.

Surely the mirrorless systems can adopt this kind of functionality, but have they? Will we see Sony lining the fields at the Women's World Cup in 1.5 years?

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

CyberManiaK
669 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 23, 2014 00:25 |  #55

John wrote in post #17227220 (external link)
Only thing that concerns me about Sony is their lens lineup. Anyone got any links on what their lens roadmap is if any?

Considered getting the A7 and a metabones for canon lenses but then I started shooting more sports.

Dyxum is an awesome forum for sony cameras (A mount and E mount)
http://www.dyxum.com/l​enses/index.asp (external link)

Carlos
60D / 10-20 + 100L + 40/2.8

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2014 01:54 |  #56

speedync wrote in post #17228313 (external link)
Half a mirror. And it doesn't move

Half of a mirror? A mirror is a mirror, no matter how small. Your statement reminds me of the joke about someone giving a kid a shovel and telling him to dig half of a hole.

If there is a mirror, (no matter how small or what it does/doesn't do) then the camera isn't mirrorless.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

elitejp
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 23, 2014 03:34 as a reply to  @ HappySnapper90's post |  #57

What I will say on this subject is I like where Sony is going

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 23, 2014 09:47 |  #58

elitejp wrote in post #17228482 (external link)
This really is only true to the very few people who own or sometimes rent those types of lenses. The vast majority of people will never use or even touch lenses at that type of price tag.

There are a lot more sports and wildlife photographers than you would expect. And there are a number of lenses that Sony simply does not make for their cameras, which keep a lot of people from switching to their side. Not having a good flash system doesn't really help, either.

Current Gear List

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2014 10:01 |  #59

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #17228985 (external link)
There are a lot more sports and wildlife photographers than you would expect. And there are a number of lenses that Sony simply does not make for their cameras, which keep a lot of people from switching to their side. Not having a good flash system doesn't really help, either.

You are quite right, Thomas. My most-used lenses are my 400 f2.8 and my 300-800mm. And I mostly shoot animal behavior - moving animals. I am sick of people making blanket statements about how mirrorless systems are so much better than DSLRs. People who feel this way should qualify their statements by adding clauses like, "for what I shoot", or "for stationary subject matter", or "for those using focal lengths up to 200mm", etc. But they often don't add these qualifiers to their statements, and instead issue the statements as blanket statements. It is wrong for them to do that.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 23, 2014 10:20 |  #60

Love your work, Tom.

Current Gear List

sponsored links

16,601 views & 0 likes for this thread
Goodbye DSLR Nikon, Hello Mirrorless Sony
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.