Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fastest way to change Aperture and Shutter speed in M

offtheroad
259 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 22, 2014 18:54 |  #1

I have a 5D Mark II shooting in Manual mode with AF-on button to lock in focus what is the fastes way to get to change aperture and shutter speed. In bright sun it's difficult to see the lcd screen but even then trying to use the button next to the screen to activate a certain area and then turn the large wheel, to me there's got to be a faster way?

"You don't know how far you can go, untill you've gone too far."

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 22, 2014 18:59 |  #2

Count the clicks. You can keep equal exposure by just counting 1-2-3-4-5-6 (two stops) as you twirl one dial and then the same six clicks with the other.

Or you change exposure by just counting clicks on one dial. You should not need to check the top or back screens.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

offtheroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 22, 2014 19:23 |  #3

thanks for the fast reply but what I mean first you need to hilight the shutter speed window or aperture window then turn the dial. What I'm haveing a problem with is the first step just getting to that window.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,601 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Oct 22, 2014 19:29 |  #4

You are using the on-screen menu - that is slow. Just look through the viewfinder and turn the dials. Alternatively, you can look at the top LCD.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 22, 2014 19:39 |  #5

offtheroad wrote in post #17228140 (external link)
thanks for the fast reply but what I mean first you need to hilight the shutter speed window or aperture window then turn the dial. What I'm haveing a problem with is the first step just getting to that window.

I think you are working in an unusual approach. There should be no windows and no need to look at the back screen or the LCD.

Put the camera to eye and give the shutter a half press. The active shutter speed, ISO and aperture will light up in the optical VF.

Spin the main dial, the shutter speed changes. Spin the QCD dial on the back of the camera and the aperture changes. There are no menus, no secondary buttons to press. When the camera is in shooting mode the two dials directly change the shutter and aperture. It is specifically designed to be fast and intuitive in operation.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

offtheroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 22, 2014 19:58 |  #6

OK the SS worked but in focus lock mode as I tried to push the shutter half way down the aperture didn't respond. I like the opportunity to use the AF-On button to lock focus and the move camer where ever and the take the exposure.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 22, 2014 21:13 |  #7

offtheroad wrote in post #17228198 (external link)
OK the SS worked but in focus lock mode as I tried to push the shutter half way down the aperture didn't respond. I like the opportunity to use the AF-On button to lock focus and the move camer where ever and the take the exposure.

Have you still got the lock engaged on the QCD ? The on/off switch needs to be set to the bent line above "on", that points to the QCD, to disengage the lock.

offtheroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 22, 2014 21:17 |  #8

OK I got it I needed to have the on swith up on the L looking button

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,274 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 23, 2014 01:49 as a reply to  @ offtheroad's post |  #9

That symbol isn't an "L" as in lock, but a line which connects with the dial on the back, to indicate that the dial is now operational.

Anders

offtheroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 23, 2014 07:59 |  #10

OK thats where I have it se and all is working ok. Thanks for the help.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,835 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 23, 2014 08:57 as a reply to  @ offtheroad's post |  #11

Or you can just not fight it and put it in AV mode and let the camera do it for you based on where you set your exposure compensation...... such a better way to go.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

offtheroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 23, 2014 09:11 |  #12

Well earlier on this forum I was advised to use the A-E lock button, which I learned to like and shooting in M. So what is the purpose of hilghting an area on the LCD and changing it that way. I like the fact that when I press the shutter I'm only making an exposure and not refocusing. ( I h0pe that's whats happening).

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,274 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 23, 2014 10:24 as a reply to  @ offtheroad's post |  #13

But if you are shooting in M mode and just adjust the exposure setting until you get the metering scale in the viewfinder centered, then you are doing exactly what the camera will do for you in P, Tv or Av. The only difference is that the camera will do it faster and better than anyone ever will be able to.
M mode is very useful when you don't need to adjust the exposure setting very often, because it's just the color and reflectivity of the subjects that change, not the light itself.

All this is an issue that's completely seprate from locking focus with a button on the back of the camera.

Anders

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 23, 2014 10:42 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

apersson850 wrote in post #17229051 (external link)
But if you are shooting in M mode and just adjust the exposure setting until you get the metering scale in the viewfinder centered, then you are doing exactly what the camera will do for you in P, Tv or Av. The only difference is that the camera will do it faster and better than anyone ever will be able to.
M mode is very useful when you don't need to adjust the exposure setting very often, because it's just the color and reflectivity of the subjects that change, not the light itself.

All this is an issue that's completely seprate from locking focus with a button on the back of the camera.

Yes, don't use Manual just for the sake of using it, especially if all you're doing is centering the meter.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 23, 2014 10:43 |  #15

Wheel in front, wheel in back. Just practice and you will get it. It gets to the point where you have the muscle memory and can just flick it and get the right number of clicks around each way. Just go out and shoot.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links

4,015 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fastest way to change Aperture and Shutter speed in M
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.