Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 23 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 03:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help... big challenge need some tip

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 23, 2014 03:00 |  #1

Hi, my boss just asked me.

"Would you like to take group pictures of all the different kindergarten groups?" Well, I like challenges, so I said yes, and now I realize what a big challenge this will be.

It is 4 different kindergarten, each with different groups, so it is a huge amount of work. It is several hundred small kids...

I have great gear (5dMKII, 24-105, 135L, 70-300L, 12-24 Sigma, Samyang 35 1.4), and know how to use it, and have done alot of portrait photography, and have also done some comercial photographs and also delivered pictures for different articles (also big newspapers). But mostly I have done events and stockpictures. I have my own children that I have taken tons of pictures of, but to take kindergarten pictures is something new.

So, I need all the tip I can get. Like how to avoid loosing the controll over all the kids and pictures. But also, how to get a group of 2-3 year old kids to let me take pictures of them. I mean, there is no time for experimenting with them. I guess I will have only seconds to get the picture right before they loose their interest in sitting still....

My challenge is that I am not having good light equipment. And, my experience with kids is that powerful flash or light onn their face is in risk of making them very scared. And I wan't have time to let them get used to a photo environment of strong flashes and fancy background stuff. My idea is to use their playground environment and take the pictures while they are playing, or at least in their play environment.

WEll, all cind of tip would be welcomed.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 23, 2014 06:59 |  #2

The most important part of any group photos is to command the attention of the group. You have to be vocal, and with children especially, interesting and engaging. Make sure you are the center of attention, get them to smile or laugh at you, and snap off 3-5 images of each group- that way you have eyes/heads to swap for blinks.

Get the teachers to help- they know their students. Tell them where you want them to set up, and have the teachers organize them.

For group shots, two lights on either side of the group is enough- get them up high, and meter both sides and the middle to make sure your spread is relatively even, so you don't cast shadows. Something like this:

IMAGE: http://photographylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Group-Diagram.png

Don't be afraid of using flash with the kids- you aren't sticking it in their face, and it won't be scary at all. Since you are probably doing this during school hours, you won't have your choice of day/time to pick the light you want- a few flashes or strobes will make a difference.

Stagger the kids so they aren't blocking one another, and go with a longer focal length and back up- a common error when shooting a group shot is to go wide angle to get everyone in the picture- this causes perspective distortion, which isn't flattering. Your 135 will be an excellent choice.

Derf
604 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 23, 2014 08:34 as a reply to  @ Qlayer2's post |  #3

very good advice

Canon 7D / Canon 40D / Opteka 6.5mm / Sigma 18-35 1.8 / Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 50mm 1.8 / Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Tamron 70-300VC
WWW.LongIslandWallpape​rs.com (external link)

kent ­ andersen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 23, 2014 13:29 |  #4

thanks alot for youre good advice.... The main challenge is that most of the kids are todlers. Small kids between 2-3 years old, and they want a group picture. :)

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,223 views & 0 likes for this thread
help... big challenge need some tip
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.