Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Oct 2014 (Friday) 07:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yosemite and Canon Software <moved>

zave
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 24, 2014 07:27 |  #1

Dear Canon Cameras,
Why don't you keep your drivers and software up to date? Apple's release of Yosemite is no surprise and developer kits have been out there for months. Why is it that any photographer who switches to Yosemite or buys a new machine right now will not be able to use your utility to control his or her camera? I love your gear but your software and your responsibility to your users is not up to pare.

It is my experience, that this happens each time Apple upgrades their operating system. Months can go by before you get around to upgrading your camera utilities.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,275 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Oct 24, 2014 08:01 |  #2

Canon folks might not read this forum. You might have better luck with your complaint if you send it directly to Canon. Other than that, not everyone in the world waits with bated breath for the next Apple release. It's not cost effective to expend effort when the interface specification may see changes. It isn't a surprise that developers would wait for a stable platform before getting serious about developing the drivers. Producing device drivers is not a "one-two-three, I'm done" effort.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Nick5
Goldmember
3,054 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 24, 2014 08:11 |  #3

More importantly, software developers should Human Test their "Assuming" software. Make sure everything is in sync before flooding the market and then having dopes like me reporting their problems. Waiting a few weeks before release will save a lot of problems down the road.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,613 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 24, 2014 09:20 |  #4

joedlh wrote in post #17230700 (external link)
Canon folks might not read this forum. You might have better luck with your complaint if you send it directly to Canon. Other than that, not everyone in the world waits with bated breath for the next Apple release. It's not cost effective to expend effort when the interface specification may see changes. It isn't a surprise that developers would wait for a stable platform before getting serious about developing the drivers. Producing device drivers is not a "one-two-three, I'm done" effort.

I echo these comments and would like to say that in my experience Apple is very possessive of their software. Vendors that need compatibility don't get Apple code on a new O/S until just before its public release. It appears as though Canon is coming up short but the reality is Apple shares the brunt of the blame IMO. There are some key partners to the Apple product who get the code during development but Canon is not likely one of them.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 24, 2014 09:32 |  #5

Dear Apple,

Thanks for making such crappy software and hardware that I don't want to use it (or pay for it for that matter). Thankfully all of my stuff works just fine on Windows and I don't need you.

Gear List

draderusa
317 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 24, 2014 10:14 |  #6

zave wrote in post #17230647 (external link)
Dear Canon Cameras,
Why don't you keep your drivers and software up to date? Apple's release of Yosemite is no surprise and developer kits have been out there for months. Why is it that any photographer who switches to Yosemite or buys a new machine right now will not be able to use your utility to control his or her camera? I love your gear but your software and your responsibility to your users is not up to pare.

It is my experience, that this happens each time Apple upgrades their operating system. Months can go by before you get around to upgrading your camera utilities.

Interesting post for your first on this forum. Every software manufacturer doesn't devote substantial resources to waiting for an Apple OS release. I'd suggest a little patience while you contemplate Apple's place in the global software market. Canon isn't the only vendor that won't have compatible software available immediately.

Dave
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS T4i -- EFS 18-135 STM, EFS 10-22 USM, EF 40 f2.8 STM, EF 50 f1.4, 600EX-RT (3), YN-E3-RT, AD-360, FT16 (2), YN560II, YN622C (4), YN622C-TX

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,577 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 24, 2014 10:32 |  #7

Numenorean wrote in post #17230875 (external link)
Dear Apple,

Thanks for making such crappy software and hardware that I don't want to use it (or pay for it for that matter). Thankfully all of my stuff works just fine on Windows and I don't need you.

I am in the same boat, my windows boxes from 3-5 years back work just fine with all the software packages on it throughout time. Even my virtual destop app from 1999 is still working without any upgrades since. :)

I loved the NeXT stations when we had them in college, next to our RISC X11 stations and PCs, but I remember the upgrade issues there. Then Apple bought them to help construct their new Mac and OS-X lines, but I haven't moved to those.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

MAC_daddy
Hatchling
8 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 24, 2014 10:36 |  #8

John from PA wrote in post #17230856 (external link)
I echo these comments and would like to say that in my experience Apple is very possessive of their software. Vendors that need compatibility don't get Apple code on a new O/S until just before its public release. It appears as though Canon is coming up short but the reality is Apple shares the brunt of the blame IMO. There are some key partners to the Apple product who get the code during development but Canon is not likely one of them.

Not true at all, OS X Yosemite (OS 10.10) was announced and released to ALL developers (this would include Canon) on June 2, 2014, at the WWDC 2014 and was released to consumers on October 16, 2014. More than four months is plenty of time revise existing software - certainly not "just before its public release". This has always been the case with every major OS release as far back as I can remember. The OP's point is very valid and has been a reoccurring theme with Canon since 10.5 at least (my experience). Whats that been then - 7 years?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | Canon Speedlite 550EX Speedlite 580EX | Yongnuo YN-568EX II

MissFire
178 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 24, 2014 17:35 |  #9

Numenorean wrote in post #17230875 (external link)
Dear Apple,

I would like to say just the opposite.

Dear Apple,

Thanks for making such wonderful software and hardware that I now love working on my computer! It's wonderfully simple for me vs PC. I never could figure that out, Ha Ha! Plus, my little Intel core2 duo is beating the pants off my husbands Intel i7 PC! I don't want to do computer work without you!

:D

Lynn
Canon 70D | 10-22 USM | 17-55 f2.8 IS USM | 55-250 IS | 100 f2.8L macro | 430ex III-RT flash | and all my husbands gear!

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 24, 2014 22:14 |  #10

MissFire wrote in post #17231567 (external link)
I would like to say just the opposite.

Dear Apple,

Thanks for making such wonderful software and hardware that I now love working on my computer! It's wonderfully simple for me vs PC. I never could figure that out, Ha Ha! Plus, my little Intel core2 duo is beating the pants off my husbands Intel i7 PC! I don't want to do computer work without you!

:D

:D:D My two iMacs I use for photo editing have been great for the past four years. While I did upgrade to Yosemite on a 2010 MacBook Pro, I will wait until Canon updates its software before I upgrade the two iMacs. However, the main reason for not upgrading the OS is because Google has not update the NIK plugins I use along CS6 on the iMacs.

I agree with you.

MissFire
178 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 24, 2014 22:31 as a reply to  @ RayinAlaska's post |  #11

Thanks, I'm thinking of upgrading to Yosemite, the software will work with mine, but some of the features in it require a newer model! By the time my husband lets me upgrade my iMac, Canon will have caught up! :D

Lynn
Canon 70D | 10-22 USM | 17-55 f2.8 IS USM | 55-250 IS | 100 f2.8L macro | 430ex III-RT flash | and all my husbands gear!

rgs
Goldmember
2,293 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 24, 2014 22:45 |  #12

Canon has only abandoned their users once - when going from FD to EF - and that was a long time ago. Apple abandons their users almost every time they update the OS. Macs run very nicely but PCs keep working for years.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

MissFire
178 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 24, 2014 23:04 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #13

I'm not sure what you mean? I've had my 27" iMac for 5 years now and all updates work and all for free too. I'm very satisfied.:D

Lynn

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 24, 2014 23:32 |  #14

rgs wrote in post #17231905 (external link)
Canon has only abandoned their users once - when going from FD to EF - and that was a long time ago. Apple abandons their users almost every time they update the OS. Macs run very nicely but PCs keep working for years.

What? Apple updates the OS for security and other things at least every three weeks, and every update is free. The OS upgrade is optional, but also free. Not only that, but with the OS Apple also gives the following apps free of charge: iDVD, iBooks Author, iPhoto, Garage Band, Mail, Safari, Calendar, TextEdit, PhotoBooth, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, and Maps.

That said, I use both Macs and PC's at work (running under Windows 7 since everyone hates Windows 8). Our IT team is quite busy controlling spyware, and viruses, but not on the Mac's of course.
----------

In reference to Canon, this is from username RFK1960NL relating to printer drivers at the Canon forum below:

http://forums.usa.cano​n.com …9-4-and-10-10/td-p/105585 (external link)

I downloaded and installed Mac_MF_Ver1030_00.dmg for OS X10.9, deleted and reinstalled my printer and my printer now works fine with OS X 10.10. Download the first option at:

http://www.canon.co.uk …nals/Laser/Lase​rBase_MF_s (external link)...

Fabercula
205 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 25, 2014 02:00 as a reply to  @ RayinAlaska's post |  #15

I have an iMac late 2007 and last week upgraded the OS to Yosemite; it has come to new life!
I was afraid I wouldn' t be able to use Final Cut Pro as the graphic card of my iMac is not supported, instead it does work. Of course it's a bit slow as I launch the app but then everything's fine.
I seldom use Canon software but I want to try whether it works or not.

Nikon D750 - Nikon D7200 - Nikon S33 - Olympus Om10 Mark II
Nikkor, Sigma, Zuiko and PanaLeica lenses.

sponsored links

8,078 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yosemite and Canon Software <moved>
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.