Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 06:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what makes a photograph ...yours?

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Cream of the Crop
19,352 posts
Gallery: 347 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 25, 2014 03:56 |  #16

joeseph wrote in post #17232085 (external link)
pretty hard to prove positive it was you, but in the senario the OP posted, the owner of the camera would be in the picture so would have been pretty unlikely to have pressed the shutter... ;)

Yes, but from that it still does not follow that it was you who took the picture, only who didn't. And there can even be doubt about that as the picture could have been taken with the self timer. Unless that registers in the exif. Don't know about that.

I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
My flickr (external link)

iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 25, 2014 10:06 |  #17

jra wrote in post #17228738 (external link)
Whomever presses the button is the owner of the photograph unless their is a contract between the two parties that says different.

I wonder how that plays out with trail cameras. The animal triggered the photo to be taken, so are all of those photos in the public domain? I don't mean to dispute your position, as I think you are correct, but it does raise more questions.

Of course, if a person took an award winning photo with my rig (good luck, haha) he might find a steep bill for the purchase of the memory card.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,170 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 25, 2014 10:45 |  #18

iowajim wrote in post #17232339 (external link)
I wonder how that plays out with trail cameras. The animal triggered the photo to be taken, so are all of those photos in the public domain? I don't mean to dispute your position, as I think you are correct, but it does raise more questions.

Of course, if a person took an award winning photo with my rig (good luck, haha) he might find a steep bill for the purchase of the memory card.

A case can be made that by setting the trail camera up and activating the motion detector the owner of the camera is responsible for the actuation in the same way you would own surveillance video taken under similar circumstances. .

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 25, 2014 10:49 |  #19

"whoever presses the button" is an oversimplification as far as I am aware. In the case of something like a trail cam the human setting it up and configuring the camera 'enables' it, and sets it to fire under specific conditions. They are still the 'creator' of those images, as each image is then captured under the conditions they've specified (something sets off the motion sensor/x time has passed, etc). The laws in Canada seem somewhat vague on those exact points, but I have never found a case that went to trial where such copyright was deemed invalid and have instead seen a few cases where it was upheld during infringement cases.

The other aspect of copyright law that a lot of internet "lawyers" seem to gloss over is that of multiple authors, and the fact that there is more to 'creating' a photo than merely pressing a button.

In short, the law can get kind of vague when you introduce relatively complex environments during the creation of a photo or any other creative work, and you should probably not rely on random information you pull off the web over talking to a IP lawyer familiar with your local laws.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 25, 2014 10:58 |  #20

I think that the situation of a trail camera would be similar to using the exposure trapping feature on Magic Lantern to capture lightning. You set up the rig so the copyright is yours. Similarly, if you set up a trail camera (or a similar motion activated rig) the the copyright is yours for those images.

In the example with the monkey, one of the stories (not the original one) was that the photographer pre-set up his camera and then encouraged the monkeys to play with it. In that scenario, he would have had copyright because it was his work even though the monkey pressed the shutter. However, he first claimed that the monkey stole his camera, thus it wasn't intentional work on his part.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,118 views & 0 likes for this thread
what makes a photograph ...yours?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.