Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 21 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod!! when do you use one? do you use one? Also state your tripod of choice :-)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 22, 2014 17:52 |  #16

What are your settings for the photo, Kevin ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,239 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 22, 2014 18:00 |  #17

Peacefield wrote in post #17224816 (external link)
Just long exposures which I do very rarely during a wedding. Count on ISO and IS to help you with low light.

tim wrote in post #17226006 (external link)
I sometimes use a tripod for family groups photos, so the framing and height stays the same. Other than it's unused.

yup - and if I want shots longer than 1/20 sec, basically

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 22, 2014 18:29 |  #18

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #17227990 (external link)

I will jump back in LR to get the exact setting for you tonight Steven. I think it is f/8, iso 100, with Rokinon 14mm, maybe 15-20 seconds.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 22, 2014 18:38 |  #19

Tigerkn wrote in post #17228063 (external link)
I will jump back in LR to get the exact setting for you tonight Steven. I think it is f/8, iso 100, with Rokinon 14mm, maybe 15-20 seconds.

Why do you need to use ISO 100 for that? Or f/8 for that matter?

Gear List

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 23, 2014 00:09 |  #20

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #17227990 (external link)

Steve, I was complete off on the shutter speed :). It was 1.6 second. ISO 100. f stop my guess is still about f/8

Numenorean wrote in post #17228077 (external link)
Why do you need to use ISO 100 for that? Or f/8 for that matter?

ISO 100, because I want make the photo as clean as possible with very little to no noise.
f/8, because I want all/most things in the shot in focus.

I want it to be less noise and most things in focus just in case the venue wants a large print (40"x60" Canvas) to put it at their venue with my watermark on it. They did :).
The printed version with some minor clean up:

IMAGE: http://www.photoqueststudio.com/img/s6/v137/p710759369-4.jpg

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,611 posts
Gallery: 442 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 23, 2014 00:46 |  #21

I don't do weddings any more, but when I did, I found it very useful to have the camera on a tripod when doing group shots. It frees your hands and makes it easy and convenient to approach the group to move people around and make various adjustments.

One time I was doing this exactly, shifting people a bit so their spacing was about right - took a couple steps back to survey the group - then all of them in unison suddenly went saucer eyes and said OOOOOHH! I turned around and saw the tripod thunder to the ground with my Hasselblad on it. A leg had telescoped.

You never know what's going to happen at a wedding.

Fortunately the camera was no worse for wear, and the session continued without problem. But after that, I was more careful about tightening the collars.

Apart from group shots, I rarely used a tripod.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 23, 2014 11:16 |  #22

Tigerkn wrote in post #17228494 (external link)
Steve, I was complete off on the shutter speed :). It was 1.6 second. ISO 100. f stop my guess is still about f/8

ISO 100, because I want make the photo as clean as possible with very little to no noise.
f/8, because I want all/most things in the shot in focus.

I want it to be less noise and most things in focus just in case the venue wants a large print (40"x60" Canvas) to put it at their venue with my watermark on it. They did :).
The printed version with some minor clean up:

So you have a 5D III which you could have extremely clean at ISO 400 and in no possible way would that show up especially on a canvas print. ISO 800 would be easy to use as well.

Then you use f/8? For that shot you could use f/4 and have focus to infinity at 14mm.

So, no need for a tripod to get that shot.

Gear List

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2014 11:42 |  #23

This is all correct. This particular shot didn't need a tripod.

Numenorean wrote in post #17229134 (external link)
So you have a 5D III which you could have extremely clean at ISO 400 and in no possible way would that show up especially on a canvas print. ISO 800 would be easy to use as well.

Then you use f/8? For that shot you could use f/4 and have focus to infinity at 14mm.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,451 posts
Gallery: 456 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 23, 2014 11:49 |  #24

I use a tripod only when I don't want camera shake. :)

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 24, 2014 13:59 |  #25

Numenorean wrote in post #17229134 (external link)

I didn't have 5d3 then, maybe I can left the T in the trunk now. Thanks!

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 25, 2014 11:15 |  #26

tim wrote in post #17226006 (external link)
I sometimes use a tripod for family groups photos, so the framing and height stays the same. Other than it's unused.

This pretty much sums up my tripod use as well. Although, even with IS on my lenses, I find that my tripod images are sharper than my handheld ones. This is probably not noticeable to my clients, who aren't zooming in on their images in Lightroom, but I can see it. However, for the most part, I don't use a tripod; too heavy and bulky to carry around during a fast-moving event like a wedding.
When I do use one, however, I always have my hand (external link)-grip (external link) ball (external link) head (external link) attached; it's amazing!

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 25, 2014 11:21 |  #27

I rarely use a tripod for wedding shots, use one all the time for landscapes though. I like the Slik 700DX - it's an inexpensive choice that still provides plenty of support for heavy cameras and lenses. Don't get the Slik head though, it is junk. For weddings I'm almost always using flash for reception photos, rendering a tripod unnecessary and cumbersome.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

sponsored links

3,878 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod!! when do you use one? do you use one? Also state your tripod of choice :-)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.